I'm planning to get my first tube amp and its the Blackstar HT5R half stack. I heard good things about these amps but i was wondering if there was anything bad I should consider when buying one of these.

This will mainly be used for bedroom use so is 5 watts enough or should I get the 20 watt combo? Is there any reason or a better alternative tube amp at this price of £419?
If you want a tube amp then you do not want a Blackstar HT, they are Hybrid amps not full tube. I am not impressed at all with any of the HT series I have tried.

Look at Jet City amps, mainly the JCA 22 (head or combo) for low wattage.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you want a tube amp then you do not want a Blackstar HT, they are Hybrid amps not full tube. I am not impressed at all with any of the HT series I have tried.

Look at Jet City amps, mainly the JCA 22 (head or combo) for low wattage.

HT stage 100 and Metal 100 are full tube. Cannot speak for the lower ones though, I have never oppened one of them
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
HT5 (which I own) is not quite all valve, there's something just a little bit dull about it. However, for the price it's great! sounds pretty good and is ultra portable. Cranked it sounds like a valve amp, the OD is pretty good too.

HT40 (which I've recorded with) is also very good.

The thing to do is to go have a play on them and see what you think!
i have the ht5 combo and i'm happy with it, but my only other amp was a roland cube 10 or something. however, i have been playing for several years now.

you get decent variety of tone with the ISF knob. emulated out is pretty good for recordings. 5 watts is certainly enough for bedroom use.

what kind of music do you play?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Heideck
HT stage 100 and Metal 100 are full tube.

have you reverse-engineered the circuit or seen a schematic? the 100s do have an extra preamp tube, but the lower wattage ones have so many darn IC stages that I'm still suspicious that another preamp tube is enough

and yeah, jet city for the win. thomann has the JCA22 1x12 combo for like £250. Far cheaper than the blackstar, built really well for the price, and actually all-tube (and not just all-tube, but high gain all-tube as well).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 1, 2013,
Up for the Jet City idea, £420 will most likely get you a 22h/50h + a nice 2x12.
What kind of cab were you thinking of?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
yeah £420 will get you the 50 watt quarter stack

I don't see how blackstar sells yet jet city doesn't well that's advertising for you, i guess
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got a Blackstar ID15 for my bedroom and dorm-room playing, which I found more than satisfactory. I must say I have somewhat limited experience having tried only two peavey tube amps and an Engl one. My ID15 however is not a tube amp. But I wouldn't get a tube amp for my bedroom playing because I'd never be able to crank it in such a small room and I'd rather get a 50w or 100w half stack w tubes for when I've got a bigger place to play in...

Either way, I've found that my 15w valve amp can already get quite LOUD and rarely play with master volume past 9 'o clock
Thomann dont seem to have the 22h anymore...

Should i get the 50 watt version because that price is a steal. Ive also heard good things about jc amps but i wasn't sure. Would 50 watts be too much?

I heard Harley Benton G212 Vintage cab would go well with this head. Any other options?
Last edited by Not Soo Noobish at Dec 1, 2013,
DaveMC uses the JCA50 at home so, I'd say you'll be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I’ve had two HT series amps. They were both kind of mediocre. Give it a try and if you love it, go for it. But don’t think that you’re really getting a tube amp that can mimic Fender, Mesa, Marshall, and Vox, all at TV volumes, because they just don’t live up to that hype.
Quote by Robbgnarly
DaveMC uses the JCA50 at home so, I'd say you'll be fine

i don't share any walls with neighbours, and don't mind fizz.

but yeah unless you have to play at whisper volume it should be fine, as long as you can get up to shouting/action movie type volume levels it'll probably be alright. YMMV and all that, of course.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Divinephyton

Either way, I've found that my 15w valve amp can already get quite LOUD and rarely play with master volume past 9 'o clock

yeah it's not so much that 50 watts are quiet, it's that low wattage tube amps are still really, really loud in a home environment. It's like not buying a ferrari for city driving because its top speed is 200mph and then buying a porsche whose top speed is 150mph. You're not using either to its full potential, so you might as well get whichever one you like best and which is most fun for your own particular situation.

Quote by Not Soo Noobish
Thomann dont seem to have the 22h anymore...

Should i get the 50 watt version because that price is a steal. Ive also heard good things about jc amps but i wasn't sure. Would 50 watts be too much?

I heard Harley Benton G212 Vintage cab would go well with this head. Any other options?

it's hard to beat the g212 vintage at the price it goes for. unless you luck into a good deal or don't like v30s.

and yeah as i already said about the volume, if you have to play at whisper volume, maybe not. but if you have to play that quietly the 20 watter will be too loud too, and maybe tube isn't the way to go, regardless of wattage.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont play whisper quiet, usually a bit loud but i was just wondering if getting a 50 watt amp and not using it loud enough will be a problem.
not unless you're OCD about "not using things to their full potential". Which, if you ask me, is a moot point anyway. How many people use anything to its full potential?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If volume is that much of an issue, Tube amps are probably the wrong thing to look at. Maybe a Modeling combo or POD and headphones would be a better option for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have the HT-5H head. The clean channel actually surprised me, sounds quite nice and the OD is okay but no dynamics at all. Atleast not compared to my Orange Rocker 30. If I roll down the guitar volume it barely cleans up, just lower volume.

The Blackstar is fine for a bedroom amp but if you want a real tube amp don't get this, the overdrive channel is kind of like having an overdrive pedal (or 2 for the matter) on all the time, kills all dynamics but sounds fine.

Also - on mine i get either no gain, a lot of gain, or wayyy tooo farking much gain. The gain knob sweep is ridiculous.
Yeah volume is not going to be a problem i usually play quite loud anyway so i guess ill get the jet city 50 watt head with the Harley benton cab. Any objections?
Quote by Not Soo Noobish
Yeah volume is not going to be a problem i usually play quite loud anyway so i guess ill get the jet city 50 watt head with the Harley benton cab. Any objections?

I am just about to order the 22H and harley benton cab, I support your choice :P
If you like the overdrive sound then it's a fine amp. It doesn't have as much clean headroom as a Epiphone Valve Jr. Between the two I would get the cheaper junior and add pedals for gain tone. But I don't really care much for 5W amps and would ultimately get neither.
Quote by Not Soo Noobish

nope

remember you need a speaker cable

good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The higher end Blackstars, like the Series One I have, are very underrated amps. The HT series really put a dent in Blackstar's name, so nobody pays attention to anything else. It really is a shame, because the Artisans and S1's are hella cool amps.

What kind of tones are you shooting for? I mean, if you're after tight American high gain you're going to be disappointed with the Jet City I feel. They're terrific amp, but like anything they excel at some tones and disappoint in others. In my opinion and experience, Jet Cities are geared for hotrodded blues/country (Normal Channel) and hard rock/90's metal (Crunch Channel). With a boost they can do some modern metal as well, but I wouldn't deem it a brutal tight amp by any means
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 2, 2013,
Quote by Flux'D
The higher end Blackstars, like the Series One I have, are very underrated amps. The HT series really put a dent in Blackstar's name, so nobody pays attention to anything else. It really is a shame, because the Artisans and S1's are hella cool amps.

What kind of tones are you shooting for? I mean, if you're after tight American high gain you're going to be disappointed with the Jet City I feel. They're terrific amp, but like anything they excel at some tones and disappoint in others. In my opinion and experience, Jet Cities are geared for hotrodded blues/country and hard rock. With a boost they can do metal as well, but I wouldn't deem it a metal amp by any means

And I would consider it a Metal amp, not modern metal, but late 80's-90's metal easy stock, It is a budget version of the Soldano HRA+ which is a very metal oriented amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Agreed. It depends on what you mean by metal, of course, but for the stuff I play and my tastes, it's definitely a hard rock/metal amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I meant modern metal like Chimaira... tight and brutal stuff, apologies . It will definitely do the 80's thrash thing, but it isn't meant for Whitechapel and such

Edited my last post.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 2, 2013,
no worries. and yeah agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the advice guys

And for the price of this full tube head which seems to sounds versatile enough its pretty hard to beat.
It's a mighty fine amp, no question about it. I owned the 100W version for awhile and recently jammed on my buddy's newly acquired 22. I haven't played the 50W version, but it's the same thing as the 100W. Hella cool amps
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60