Hey guys, I'm looking for a budget speaker that can be used with the POD hd500x. I have no idea how this stuff works, so could you guys recommend any good speakers that could be purchase for around 100 dollars? I am looking for a speaker that the pod can be just plugged right into, no cabinet or amp or anything. Something suitable for good low to medium volumes with good output quality (dorm and home setting). Would something like this work? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-kpc10mp-10-powered-monitor-speaker
Both of these powered PAs are on sale right now for only $99 when normally they're $180-200.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-kpc12mp-12-powered-monitor-speaker

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-APS12-12--Powered-PA-Speaker-105488282-i1474995.gc

I needed one myself for my pod xt and I just ordered both of them today. I'll try both of them out and return the one I like least.
Last edited by Phallic Tractor at Dec 1, 2013,
I'd get a powered wedge monitor that way later down the road, you will have a useful piece of gear in a band setting.
They have several at MF for <$100, get the highest powerrating with the largest speaker you can (12" would be my first choice)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd get a powered wedge monitor that way later down the road, you will have a useful piece of gear in a band setting.
They have several at MF for <$100, get the highest powerrating with the largest speaker you can (12" would be my first choice)

Are you refering to this one?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/nady-pfw-12-300-w-2-way-floor-wedge-12-with-horn

I saw it, but despite being under the powered section, I'm not sure it is. I can't find any information on the inputs/outputs and stuff.

EDIT: Okay. I just saw the information. Didn't see it before for some reason.
Last edited by Phallic Tractor at Dec 1, 2013,
Quote by Phallic Tractor
Are you refering to this one?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/nady-pfw-12-300-w-2-way-floor-wedge-12-with-horn

I saw it, but despite being under the powered section, I'm sure it is. I can't find any information on the inputs/outputs and stuff.

That, or look at the 2 linked above, they are on sale right now, so my guess is they might be a little better quality sound and build wise.
But yes that Nady would be more than fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i think im leaning more towards the kustom with the 12 inch speaker. any experience with the sound quality?
don't expect the best sound from it, but it should reproduce the sound of the POD just fine and loud if you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Guys, that Nady is just a speaker.

If it was me, out of those, I'd get the Kustom I think. But I know nothing about Harbinger, they may be good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Guys, that Nady is just a speaker.

If it was me, out of those, I'd get the Kustom I think. But I know nothing about Harbinger, they may be good.

yeah, I saw that after I posted. The Kustom should be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The ultimate speaker, however, for the pods however would be one of the L2t/L3t from Line6. Expensive though..
Quote by Deledhel
The ultimate speaker, however, for the pods however would be one of the L2t/L3t from Line6. Expensive though..

If I had $800 lying around that would be awesome XD I went with the Kustom with the 12 inch speaker. Seemed like a good deal for a well received product (only $100). Will be using for the next few weeks with my UX1 until I get my POD HD500X for Christmas. Ill definitely let you guys know how it sounds.
So I got both of them with me now. The Kustom has a full range speaker (I think) and a horn. The Harbinger has a woofer and a horn. They sound completely different. I don't have much experience with PAs, but for some reason I was under the impression that all PAs would sound pretty similar because they're supposed have a flat frequency response. As far as getting an "accurate" flat sound, I have no idea which one would fit the bill more. The Kustom sounds smoother and brighter while the Harbinger is darker and more staticky (not necessary bad). There's a ton of bass on the Harbinger and the Kustom sounds weak in comparison. If I had to keep one, I'm leaning towards the kustom, but the lack of low end is disappointing.

I'm thinking of keeping them both though. They sound pretty good together at the same time. (PodXT has two outputs) They complement each other by making up for each other's weaknesses. This would be a problem if you're planning on recording though since ideally you want your two speakers to sound the same. I'm mostly just bedroom jamming.
Last edited by Phallic Tractor at Dec 11, 2013,
Quote by Phallic Tractor
So I got both of them with me now. The Kustom has a full range speaker (I think) and a horn. The Harbinger has a woofer and a horn. They sound completely different. I don't have much experience with PAs, but for some reason I was under the impression that all PAs would sound pretty similar because they're supposed have a flat frequency response. As far as getting an "accurate" flat sound, I have no idea which one would fit the bill more. The Kustom sounds smoother and brighter while the Harbinger is darker and more staticky (not necessary bad). There's a ton of bass on the Harbinger and the Kustom sounds weak in comparison. If I had to keep one, I'm leaning towards the kustom, but the lack of low end is disappointing.

I'm thinking of keeping them both though. They sound pretty good together at the same time. (PodXT has two outputs) They complement each other by making up for each other's weaknesses. This would be a problem if you're planning on recording though since ideally you want your two speakers to sound the same. I'm mostly just bedroom jamming.

No PA speakers sound different just like guitar speakers.

Congrats on the new gear.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My "small" set of speakers for the Pods is a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. The Gen2 speakers were being replaced by the Gen3s a couple of months ago (no particularly significant change), so the Gen2s were available under $150 each.

FWIW, if you're looking for something with a bit more punch, take a look at the Carvin PM15A (http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/PM15A ) -- 400W RMS, two-way single 15" and horn. $299
Quote by Robbgnarly
No PA speakers sound different just like guitar speakers.

They're not supposed to. The good ones don't <G> .
Quote by dspellman
They're not supposed to. The good ones don't <G> .

well we are talking about a $100 powered wedge here

But IMO I have both JBL and EV mains, and they have some different characteristics but yes they are minimal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Phallic Tractor
I was under the impression that all PAs would sound pretty similar because they're supposed have a flat frequency response.

Not *all* PAs. A whole lot of what passes for "PAs" are DJ speakers with strange spikes and valleys.

FWIW, there are RTA (Real Time Analysis) apps available for your iPhone/iPad that have frequency generators that will tell you what the *real* response of your speakers are. If you get serious about any of this, the information is available.
Quote by Robbgnarly
well we are talking about a $100 powered wedge here

Good point; we're talking about a buck or two worth of components <G>.
They're not 100 dollar speakers. They're 200 dollar speakers on sale!

At least, that's what they want me to believe. =(

Quote by dspellman

FWIW, there are RTA (Real Time Analysis) apps available for your iPhone/iPad that have frequency generators that will tell you what the *real* response of your speakers are. If you get serious about any of this, the information is available.

I don't have an iphone, but I have a an android phone.

EDIT: okay, I think I figured it out.
Last edited by Phallic Tractor at Dec 12, 2013,