So I have a a Thunderbird which is a long scale bass and I play in standard and D standard the most. I was wondering what gauge of strings and brand are best for heavy metal. I don't want them to be very bright as that's not what I'm going for. I'm going for more of a Marilyn Manson sound. And yes I know it depends on amps and effects but what are the best strings for what I'm asking?
rotosound swing 66 steel strings will get you a clanking almost harsh sound which some love, i used to but have recently moved over to d'addario exl nickel wound strings. i find them less tough on the fingers and keeping a better sound longer.
in my experience, steel strings tend to dull a bit quicker but start off ALOT brighter than nickel strings that i feel last a bit longer.
as for gauges, i'd suggest slightly heavier than 'medium' gauge to accomodate for the lesser tension when tuning down to D standard.
be sure to set up the truss rod and action as well, so that both tunings are playable.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Moody was pretty much on point with the strings, but I'd say don't worry about tuning to standard. When a son calls for it just play a whole step higher than usual. This'll save you the hassle of constantly retuning, and transposing is pretty fun. (If you ask me).

Just my $.02
If I could get THAT sound out of a Casio Mickey Mouse watch, I would play a Casio Mickey Mouse watch
DR high beams are great, if u want aggressive bass sound!

I have used em for like 2 years now and i LOVE them!
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Well; if you do not want it to sound bright, you could take a look at Elixir strings. They are a bit more muted than your typical stainless steel roundwound cheese graters.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley