Poll Options
View poll results: Facebook Obituaries?
Yeah, that's normal now.
48 55%
No, I think that's weird.
39 45%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 2
A friend of mine's father died this weekend. He declared it on Facebook today and wrote a touching paragraph about it, about growing up with him, about the things I wished he could still do, etc.

I can see why he'd do that (letting people know, etc), but I don't think I'd be able to do that. I think if a close family member of mine died I'd find it way too personal to share on Facebook. That's the kind of stuff that would make me go to a quiet corner and just mull on my own and be sad. But maybe Facebook offers a release?

What does the Pit think?

Is this generation's obituaries going to be published with Facebook? Or is that weird?
I don't see the problem with it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
I wouldn't see the point in sharing it on Facebook. Any of my good friends would know already, and the other people that didn't know wouldn't need to know.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Shitting isn't a perk. Shitting is a hassle.
I think it's crazy how much people need technology now. It's like people's lives are incomplete without it. It's like technology is the world's religion.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by kurt_cobain9
It's like technology is the world's religion.

I'm ok with that
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I voted Yes because I'd feel more comfortable knowing that person died rather than a sudden stop of that person's interaction with the community and the ensuing uncertainty about said person's state (I'm thinking mostly about Youtube because it's more visible), but I still think it's weird.

Like that kid that played with Megadeth thanks to the Make-a-Wish, and posted those videos on his channel. Then I felt kinda bad because I thought that by then he'd be dead, and felt relieved when I saw that he posted some videos recently (he's in college now I think).
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Dec 1, 2013,
its normal for that to happen. i personally wouldn't do it though
I didnt do it.

I just spoke to friends who asked me how things were going with my mom cause a lot of my friends knew my situation. Plus I felt weird posting that on there. If some people choose to do that then I will send my condolences and hope the best for them. It's really hard experiencing the loss of a parent.
I've had two very close family members die within the last twelve months and I've mentioned them both on Facebook. Just a few short words so people know what has happened. I only have people I know on Facebook. I actually found it easier to do that than to have to deal with people asking why I wasn't around or why I seemed down all the time. I'd prefer for people to find out on Facebook than me have to say it to their face. Everyone deals with death in different ways and personally, I don't tend to want to talk about it. I know that sounds kind of odd considering Facebook is a public forum but it is also impersonal.
Would you pay for UG?

Quote by Duffman123
Fuck no lol.

If I want to pay for awful news articles I'll buy the Daily Mail.
Why is that any weirder than an obituary? With this it's to a group of people who know him or at least know you. With a newspaper it's just to the public

Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I dislike facebook, and I sort of see this as a disservice to his father.

>writes touching paragraph about his deceased father
>is a bad thing
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 1, 2013,
I wouldn't do it, but have no problems with people who do. I think memorial groups for young/unexpected deaths are fine. Most users have lots of "friends" they barely know though, it's sort of unfair on a couple of levels to post it because of that.
I think its an effective way of notifying everyone. Much better than putting it in the paper or ringing everyone, especially ringing everyone as I imagine that would be a lot harder emotionally than typing out a sentence. If people want to, then they should. It's not disrespectful and the other methods aren't on some moral high ground.

A few weeks ago, girl I knew from school notified people on facebook about her dad's death a few days after he died.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by WCPhils
Why is that any weirder than an obituary? With this it's to a group of people who know him or at least know you. With a newspaper it's just to the public

>writes touching paragraph about his deceased father
>is a bad thing

Some people choose not have an obituary written for a loved one. The funeral service people ask what the family wants written and they publish it in newspapers. I guess it depends on what the wishes are for the person who is deceased.

And yeah it may be easy for some people to post about it but some might not want to. Either way I respect their decision and won't look down on someone for doing so.
People are all different. Personal info isnt quite personal anymore. He made an eulogy just like you do at a funeral, except it wasnt verbal, and it was for more people than who would have shown up.
So far I've only done this for my cat that I had to put to sleep earlier this year.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Andrea55
Some people choose not have an obituary written for a loved one. The funeral service people ask what the family wants written and they publish it in newspapers. I guess it depends on what the wishes are for the person who is deceased.

And yeah it may be easy for some people to post about it but some might not want to. Either way I respect their decision and won't look down on someone for doing so.

Oh, I'm not trying to say that it has to be done.

I would personally find it very hard, most likely.

I just don't think it's a bad thing. People kind of freak out about every new technology. Like it diminishes everything or something. People were saying the same thing about the telephone, and now we're all "why would you post it on Facebook when you could call them?!?!"

I find it funny.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by kurt_cobain9
I think it's crazy how much people need technology now. It's like people's lives are incomplete without it. It's like technology is the world's religion.

Need technology for what? When you introduce something like advanced technology into someones life, feeling incomplete without it is perfectly normal. If i didnt have my phone i would feel incomplete too. I lose access to a lot of info that can benefit my life. Maybe before this kid wouldnt have said anything and let it all build up inside till breaking point. Now that he let it out in an easier manner he might live a bette rllife.
Quote by WCPhils
Oh, I'm not trying to say that it has to be done.

I would personally find it very hard, most likely.

I just don't think it's a bad thing. People just kind of freak out about new technology. Like it diminishes everything or something. People were saying the same thing about the telephone, and now we're all "why would you post it on Facebook when you could call them?!?!"

I find it funny.

I understand what you mean, I was just giving my experience. And I agree!
Maybe talking about it is a form of coping with the loss?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
It's not weird but I wouldn't do it. I couldn't do it even. Nothing wrong with it though.
I almost don't post on facebook anymore, let alone personal things.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I'm ok with that

Technology as a religion sure beats out the other options
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Nobody would likely bat an eyelash for an obituary in the newspaper. What's wrong with doing it on facebook where its towards people close to you and you have more freedom to honour the person in question?

I don't have facebook and don't like facebook but I don't see the problem with it.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Nobody would likely bat an eyelash for an obituary in the newspaper. What's wrong with doing it on facebook where its towards people close to you and you have more freedom to honour the person in question?

I don't have facebook and don't like facebook but I don't see the problem with it.

the fact that people still do bat an eyelash at this just shows that Facebook isn't regarded as a valid/serious media outlet. i'm kind of glad that it isn't lumped together in the same class as the news because it's way more of a mixed bag.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
People who do that are trying to milk all the attention they can get for a death of a relative. I find those people to be extremely cold, self-centered and horrible.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
They used to declare those things in the newspaper. A previous generations facebook.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
the fact that people still do bat an eyelash at this just shows that Facebook isn't regarded as a valid/serious media outlet. i'm kind of glad that it isn't lumped together in the same class as the news because it's way more of a mixed bag.

It's not like they are announcing the prime minister was assassinated. Reacting that way is just stupid, why the hell can't somebody share a few words about the passing of someone close to them? Facebook is a place where they have the outlet to do that towards their circle of friends and have a bit more freedom/privacy compared to an obituary. Who the hell are you group of cunts to judge?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
It's not like they are announcing the prime minister was assassinated. Reacting that way is just stupid, why the hell can't somebody share a few words about the passing of someone close to them? Facebook is a place where they have the outlet to do that towards their circle of friends and have a bit more freedom/privacy compared to an obituary. Who the hell are you group of cunts to judge?

We're the protectors of all that is deemed as good behaviour. David Mitchell is our president.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I don't think I'd say much. I tend to keep that sort of stuff to myself. I'd probably post something short. Maybe 2-3 sentences. It's an easy way to let people know what happened without needing to individually contact a large number of people.
^Facebook isn't really a "private" place, so to speak. Maybe if your posts and account is only available for friends to see and you don't add or let other pseudo-friends/acquaintances add you and you're only connected to people you actually talk to, then I don't see a problem with that. Considering the fact that a lot of Facebook presents itself as a popularity contest "LMS and i'll tell u somthin 'bout me !" "Like if u agree" "share this pic so everyone can see tha truth", and the endless amount of useless shit people post just so anybody can acknowledge them, it's not the best place to share your personal life. I only use Facebook to organize large booze runs with my friends and talk to people I never see/hear from.
Quote by Neo Evil11
People who do that are trying to milk all the attention they can get for a death of a relative. I find those people to be extremely cold, self-centered and horrible.

Exactly.

I find it's feeding on narcissism.
hey man, if someone's relative dies, they deserve the rights to be an attention ***** for a bit. let them soak up some sympathy.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Page 1 of 2