I'm kind of a noob to tube amps, so I've got one question!

The other day I bought a Peavey 6505 112 Combo from a guy. Everything is working fine in it! But the gain. Like.. I thought this was a metal amp?

I was expecting a lot more gain from this. But my question is:

If a preamp tube is blown/not working, will the amp still work? Would the channel its assigned to still work?

I was surprised at the lack of gain in it, I was thinking maybe it's a blown preamp tube.
Yeah you might need a new set of tubes. Those amps have a ton of gain 1/2 way on the knob is plenty for most people
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Your V1 and/or V2 might be dying or dead.

Get a handful. JJ ECC83s are excellent value. Like $15 a piece. Swap them around to find out which of the stock tubes are bad.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My main question though; would the amp still work EVEN if the 2 preamp tubes were dead?

Also, I've never really turned up the volume past 1, being I use it in my bedroom.

Ohh, and I usually use the lead channel. Is has more gain than the rhythm, but still not enough. The lead channel isn't even enough for a rhythm channel, in my opinion.
Last edited by Bradf987 at Dec 1, 2013,
I posted this in another of your threads, STOP MAKING THE SAME THREAD IN EVERY FORUM

Turn the amp up and see if you like it loud or not.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
there's got to be something wrong with the tubes because the 6505 amps in general have way more gain then anyone could possibly want.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I don't know if they're totally dead, but that almost never happens. If they're at some stage if dying though, then yeah your amp will work just fine. Just very weak gain like you describe.

Turn it up to diagnose it more. Does it get loud fine, or does it stay quiet?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yes. if your first one or two tubes are going out that would be a huge factor. the first is the mian contributor to gain. in that amp perhaps even 1-3 make a difference with gain.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
When I had this amplifier, I thought there wasn't enough gain, but all that needed to be done was to use an OD pedal on it to tighten it up. Might work here, but try the Preamp tube suggestion first though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100