Hello,

I was visiting a friend's house with some other friends last week. And I am sure some of you might hate this, but he had this game. Rocksmith, we (I...) played it alot and I loved it. Now my hands are itching to pick up a guitar of my own and start playing!

Being new to the world of guitars I could really use some advise. Im looking for a cheap guitar (around 100/150 euros) that is suited for punkrock (Chocking victem/All/Blink 182)

I do not really care about looks. (aslong it isnt pink with yellow stripes)

Any help is much appreciated,

Huub

(Im dutch and have dislexia, im sorry if some of my spelling and/or grammer is a bit off)
I was already sold on the Squier Affinity Stratocaster with amp. Sadly I noticed it doesnt ship to the netherlands :/.

Does anyone know if the Squier by Fender Bullet Strat HSS is any good? I looked for some reviews but they all seem to hate it or love it.
how flexible is your budget?

i know you're only starting and don't want to spend too much, but if you want to give it a good shot and maximise your chances of sticking with it, i'd probably spend a bit more. a yamaha pacifica 112 (~200 euros on thomann) and a vox mini 3 (100 euros) is a sweet starter rig that'll give you a good chance of sticking with it. You'd also need a cable (10 euros), some plectrums (maybe 50 cents each) and a spare set of strings (5 euros).

now, i don't know your financial situation and it's totally up to you, but that's my opinion, anyway. You don't need to spend thousands to get a decent rig, but you're only hurting yourself if you go for the absolute cheapest option, too. Unless you really can't stretch, it's not worth getting into debt over, of course, if it's only a hobby.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well this is my situation: Im a big pc erhm... adict. And that hobby already eats alot of my paycheck. I could buy the standart combo pack of rocksmith+guitar but I read some really bad things about it. (Its a 60 euro guitar) The fun part about this is. I can buy a 100/120 euro guitar with extra's and pay the same price.

If I end up loving playing guitar there is no doubt ill sell on the guitar and get a (way) better one. But for the time being I would like not to spend to much.

I also found this:

http://www.woodbrass.com/nl/ubisoft-rocksmith-2014-pc-and-mac-+-brighton-st1-p164349-af1747.html?gclid=CMet1PSekLsCFQdY3godJAwAhQ

http://www.woodbrass.com/nl/ubisoft-rocksmith-2014-pc-and-mac-+-eagletone-sun-state-sunburst-p164351-af1747.html?gclid=CIm4tsGfkLsCFYZa3godJS8AaA

Anyway. If some one could recommend me a guitar that will not sound like a dog fight nor fall apart. Im happy.

(Also, this is one of the best forums I have bin on. The communitie seems really nice.)

But anyway. Anough browsing for guitars for me. Off to bed!
You Have so many options it's Unbelievable, But 3 Guitars Stand out.
1, Fender Squier Bullet Stratocaster- http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Bullet-Strat-with-Tremolo-104494315-i1385540.gc
This guitar is a more affordable copy of the Fender Stratocaster, and is one of the most popular affordable Electric guitars. Suited to several playing styles.

2.Epiphone SG Special
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-101392116-i1149249.gc
This is a fantastic beginner guitar, It's what I started on and you can't go wrong with it. Most Suited to a more Blues Rock/Hard rock music style.

3. Ibanez GRG120BDX
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRG120BDX-Electric-Guitar-107282022-i2521943.gc
This might push you price limit just a tad, but this is a basic Superstrat (A guitar with a similar shape as a Stratocaster, but more suitable to different styles of playing), and it is a good guitar. Most suited to 80's hard rock/Hair Rock/80's Shred.

Assuming you want an electric guitar, and you'll be playing mostly Pop-Punk, I would personally go with the Strat (Option 1). Tom DeLogne of Blink-182 uses a Stratocaster.
Check Thomann, it's better if you're in Europe. 150 isn't all that much, but you could get a basic set, I think, that'll certainly allow you to learn the basics and see if it's something you can keep doing and not just something you're rushing into.

Maybe go to Rockpalace if there is one in your neighbourhood. It's part of the Keymusic-group and they match prices with any shop in Europe and offer good prices allround.

If you know someone (maybe that friend where you played Rocksmith) that knows his stuff, you could try to go used if you're willing. The Dutch used market is fairly good and there are always people selling their starter sets because it wasn't what they'd hoped it to be.

As for starter sets, there's the Epiphone Starter Player Set with the Epiphone Les Paul Special II (black or vintage sunburst) and a cheap Epiphone amplifier; includes cable, strap, picks, tuner and gigbag. Basically everything you need. The amp has a headphone out IIRC. It's about 150 euros. I'm sure Squier has something comparable, but it might be more expensive.
Never, ever get a starter pack. I understand that you're in an extremely tight budget, but what comes with starter packs are pretty much always awful. Awful guitars, awful amps. You're throwing money into a rig that is piss poor, even for your budget.

A rig that's going to be reasonably good and cheap is probably a Yamaha Pacifica and a Roland Microcube. That's just about the best rig you could get for a 200 euro budget. Anything else is just going to be a waste of money.

I recall you mentioned that you're a bit of a computer geek? Then perhaps VST software might be up your alley instead of using an amp. If you have a good sound card in your PC then all you'll need to do is buy some VST software like Overloud TH2 or Guitar Rig. That might blow your budget, but it is an excellent option to consider if you have a strong PC. They can sound absolutely amazing and they're massively flexible when it comes to getting different sounds.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 1, 2013,
I know people say don't go the starter kit route, but I did and it worked out really well for me. I got the Squier Affinity Strat pack that comes with a small amp and the other things you need to get started for $200. While not great equipment, it did get me hooked. In the last 7 months I have picked up a MIM Strat (used)t, a blues jr amp (used), and just today got a fantastic deal on a PRS SE 245 brand new for $400. I traded in a used PRS SE Tremonti I bought used on the 245.
So it all started with the cheap Strat pack and took off from there. The Affinity Strat sounded great to me and I have had no quality issues whatsoever with it. I am keeping it around for my grandson to play with Poppa when he comes over. So while you will want to upgrade at some point in time if you stick with it, it is a cheap way to decide if playing guitar is something you want to do. Whatever you do, enjoy.
Wow thanks for the replies. I think ill go with the Fender Squier Bullet Stratocaster. Since the game provides software to use my pc as amp. And I will always be able to upgrade. I do have one question left. There are two versions of the buller. One with 3 single coils and one with a humbucker. I love the sound the humbucker makes. And would like to know what diffrence it really makes. (again thanks for the awesome featback)
Last edited by Cheshire22 at Dec 2, 2013,
Please don't get a Squier bullet strat, they are horrible. Yamaha Pacificas are way better guitars and they can be bought for barely any money used.

Don't buy into the logic that if you purchase a crap guitar and you end up not enjoying it, at least you're not going to lose much money because the guitar is cheap. It's a false economy. A cheap guitar is going to be a lot worse to play, and a guitar that doesn't play very well is going to discourage you from practising.

As for your other question, yes. Humbuckers sound very, very different from single coils. You will hear a difference. Humbuckers generally are higher output than single coils, and that extra output also has the effect of rolling off the high end slightly when compared to a single coil. Humbuckers, as the name suggest are a lot less noisy than single coils too, as the noise generated by one coil is cancelled out by the other coil.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 2, 2013,
You can get a yamaha pacifica 012 for around your price range. The yamahas are very solid, stay in tune, and are very simple.
I had a genius idea, instead of walking into a pawnshop with a ''friend'' who ''knows'' stuff ill simply call them and ask what they have....
informative! not. :

Jay sound
tribute
amuze
fame handel
aquare (they told me its spelled like this...)

They dont even know wich model nummers they have. I dont think they would be of any use :/

On the bright side: I found a really sweet all netural finish yamaha pacifica 012 for 150 euros. Wich is intresting...
Yup im going for the yamaha pacifica 012 with humbucker (Im sorry if its wrong but I love the sound)

It will be coming in the mail next week. Ill be sure to post some kind of uboxing/first look.
Some music stores recommendet me the Yamaga Eg112 over the pacifica 012. They say the components are better.

Im sorry to bother you guys again... But is this correct? I can get them for the same price at the same store next week.

Thanks!
If you can at all get up to the pacifica 112.

I dunno about the 012 versus the EG112. But as far as i'm aware, they're both beginner instruments. the pacifica 112 is too, but it's one of the best beginner instruments and one of the very few that can hang with better instruments and which is worth of upgrades down the line.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont know shit about punk rock but for rock in general and especially hard rock/metal you better look for guitars with humbucker pickups (they are those that look like two mics strapped together. The squire one mentioned before has single coils). It propably doesnt matter now but maybe it will later.

Your budget doesnt leave much room but Thomann has these as limited edition offer.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/epiphone_lp_special_i_ltded_wc.htm

Its a cheap beginners guitar but it should be around same level as the guitar that has come with Rocksmith bundles back then and it does its job. Its propably crap and you may want to upgrade when your budget allows but atleast it should allow to play the game after a fresh set of new strings and proper setup.

For an amp
http://www.thomann.de/fi/peavey_backstage.htm

Again, its not meant to be quality but atleast you would get a sound out of your new guitar when you are not playing with Rocksmith.

Don't buy into the logic that if you purchase a crap guitar and you end up not enjoying it, at least you're not going to lose much money because the guitar is cheap. It's a false economy. A cheap guitar is going to be a lot worse to play, and a guitar that doesn't play very well is going to discourage you from practising.

I agree with this so much. When I first started I got some piece of shit starter pack Squire and I HATED it! Combined with poor practising material (didnt have broadband back then) it made me give up on guitar for 7 years. A time which I can never get back.

Well this is my situation: Im a big pc erhm... adict. And that hobby already eats alot of my paycheck.

Hah! I understand you very well. I was just supposed to get a nice new 4x12 cab but instead threw my money at new GTX770 graphics card. Back to saving...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 3, 2013,
Ha I know what you mean. But I think i will stick with the eg112. And see if I like it.
Saying I liked blink has properly gave the wrong picture. Im into some of the heavyer kinds of punk. Leaning towards grunge. I just love the albums Cheshire cat (erhem) And buddha alot.
But chocking victem defendly has the kind of sind I really really like alot.

(not even going to grammer check that i need to go to bed once again)
i have rocksmith and its better than most modeling amps minus the fact that the sound comes out of the tv. all he needs is a guitar. the cable comes with the game
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
This shop is ****ing me over sideways. Out of stock for the next 96 days and they wont revond the money. Woopty ****ing do
Quote by Cheshire22
This shop is ****ing me over sideways. Out of stock for the next 96 days and they wont revond the money. Woopty ****ing do

What shop?
Local music shop. :l Luckly i bought it online and since I was not able to see the product they by law need to take it back. At times like these things you learned in school exualy help.
i don't have that much experience with squiers, but i think most people would say the pacifica 112 is superior. just buy it from a different shop if you're that worried about the wait.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its out of stock now. So far for online shops. I can pick up the Ibanez GAX30-BKN FR tommorrow for 160 euros. Wich is fine by me. Is this a decent guitar compared with the yamaha 012/112?
This has motivated me enough to just drop guitar playing intirely. **** this shit, im going home
Ibanez budget guitars are among the best budget guitars in my opinion so are ltd. I would try and find something used myself something that's been played and setup properly. try to stay with a hard tail for your first guitar especially for rocksmith as there are a few drop tunings that would be impossible to play without re setting the Floyd rose bridge.