Would it work?

I played one in a shop in standard with .11s on, felt amazing.

If I was to string it with .12s or .13s would it hold up? I'd get it set up by a tech obviously, to make sure, but would it actually work?

I expect some janglyness or buzz, but I'm hoping not enough to be picked up by the pickups.

So yeah, anyone with experience of this, sound off!

Cheers!
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
I'm sure it would work, I use 10-52 for Drop C
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
But the reason I ask is the Jaguar is a 24" scale length.
You could make it work with custom string sets. Use a .012 set and swap in a .062 or .068 for the low C.
Quote by OldHairyOne
But the reason I ask is the Jaguar is a 24" scale length.

My G-400 is 24.75 so if you go a little higher in gauge it should be fine.

There is only one way to really know, do it and see
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Yeah, I'd pretty much resigned myself to that. The trouble is, I haven't bought it. And I don't know anybody with one. But my Godin is 24.75 in drop c with heavy tops, so I'm just gonna go ahead and see. I mean, the worst that could happen is the nut needs filing because I need a far higher gauge.

But the guitar is definitely worth that, as long as I can keep the same feel with the new gauge. It's amazing.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Yeah, I'd pretty much resigned myself to that. The trouble is, I haven't bought it. And I don't know anybody with one. But my Godin is 24.75 in drop c with heavy tops, so I'm just gonna go ahead and see. I mean, the worst that could happen is the nut needs filing because I need a far higher gauge.

But the guitar is definitely worth that, as long as I can keep the same feel with the new gauge. It's amazing.
As a note:

The strings you'll need to play properly might be a little thick to work on your current nut, and maybe even your tuning posts. You may be required to get a file to ream out that post, or purchasing some new tuning posts that have a larger diameter opening.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I quite like the bouncy feel of strings that are slightly floppy, so I'll just throw some 12s on to begin with. Pretty confident they'd fit seeing as it's 11s as standard.
I couldn't imagine playing one of those in Drop C. 7.25" radius on a 24" scale guitar... not what I'd call a detuned instrument

Try it out though and see, you never know. It'd probably feel like a 24.75" in Drop A with the same string gauge.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
I couldn't imagine playing one of those in Drop C. 7.25" radius on a 24" scale guitar... not what I'd call a detuned instrument

Try it out though and see, you never know. It'd probably feel like a 24.75" in Drop A with the same string gauge.

So by upping the string gauge I should get a better result?

Also, it's a 9" radius.
Last edited by OldHairyOne at Dec 3, 2013,
what tone are you seeking?
genre?
bands?
what amp?
effects?

etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
FYI my Tokai that is a 24.75 scale is tuned in C Standard with 13-56 if I recall correctly. And it plays really good. I'd assume you could get away a little thicker on your C string for Drop C on a 24".
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Quote by Doogy-Style
FYI my Tokai that is a 24.75 scale is tuned in C Standard with 13-56 if I recall correctly. And it plays really good. I'd assume you could get away a little thicker on your C string for Drop C on a 24".

Yeah, I have 10-52 on the same scale, so they're kinda bouncy, but I definitely prefer that. So maybe I'll start at 13s.

And trashedlostfdup, this isn't really a question of "Is the guitar right?", it's more "Will it work in a purely mechanical/playability sense?" But if it's important, we're a post-hardcore kinda band that likes that lower tuning. Sort of. I'm using a Laney Ironheart, and I have tried the Jag through it, though only with stock strings and set up etc.
Quote by OldHairyOne
Yeah, I have 10-52 on the same scale, so they're kinda bouncy, but I definitely prefer that. So maybe I'll start at 13s.

And trashedlostfdup, this isn't really a question of "Is the guitar right?", it's more "Will it work in a purely mechanical/playability sense?" But if it's important, we're a post-hardcore kinda band that likes that lower tuning. Sort of. I'm using a Laney Ironheart, and I have tried the Jag through it, though only with stock strings and set up etc.

it will work, but the 24" scale but not optimum. usually the lower you tune the longer scale you want. i have one 24.75" scale in C# standard and its floppy with .11's. on a 25.5" scale there is notable tension differences. 24"is the wrong way with convention.

do what you want. hope it works.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it will work, but the 24" scale but not optimum. usually the lower you tune the longer scale you want. i have one 24.75" scale in C# standard and its floppy with .11's. on a 25.5" scale there is notable tension differences. 24"is the wrong way with convention.

do what you want. hope it works.

Drop C is D standard though, semi-tone higher than yours, which might make a difference? I've been talking with a tech in a music shop via email about getting it set up by them for Drop C and he seems to think there'll be no real issues.
Quote by OldHairyOne
Drop C is D standard though, semi-tone higher than yours, which might make a difference? I've been talking with a tech in a music shop via email about getting it set up by them for Drop C and he seems to think there'll be no real issues.

i know that i am one semitone lower.

i guess you will have to find out.

+1 you will possibly need to ream out a tuning peg. probably a new nut.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!