Page 1 of 6
Well, we tried this once and it fell apart at the end, but a sizable amount of people wanted to reboot this project and here we are. Let's give this another go.

The Details:

-Submissions can't be covers; original songs only
-One submission per person. This rule is subject to change depending on how many people participate.
-Collabs are welcome!
-IMPORTANT: To submit your song, post a link to download your track. Keep in mind that your songs should be in in one of the following file formats: .wav, .aif or .flac. This is so that once the album is finished we can release it on bandcamp. Also, when you post a link to your song, please include your artist name (this will be either your username, your real name, or some sort of other artist name that you want to be credited under) and the name of your song.
-We'll need album art for this so if you're good at that sort of thing feel free to give it a shot.
-Here is a guide to what is and isn't allowed for submissions (courtesy tukk04):
Quote by tukk04

-The focal instrument should be acoustic guitar

-Electric, Acoustic, and Upright bass are all acceptable

-Instrumentals are acceptable

-VST Samples allowed

1. Drum samples must be of acoustic drums/percussion
2. Orchestral/Bowed Instrument samples are allowed but cannot be used as the driving force on the track. The same goes for the real thing if accessible to you.
3. Keyboards also allowed to be used to emulate strings/piano.

-Keep to more natural sounding effects when tracking or mixing
1. Echo
2. Reverb
3. Compression
4. Light Chorus or Phase
Exceptions-EQ, Tube or Tape Saturation/Exciters, Limiters

DEADLINE: March 15th

If you want to help make this album happen, let me know and I'll add you to the list.
Also, here's the old thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1563483&page=1&pp=20

Participants:
Jon777
Horsedick.MPEG
SunshineMusicO
ehbacon
manualex
Faux
primusfan
tukk04
Tag43
SGstriker
Brewah43
korinaflyingv
yoman297
rocknrollstar
Dizeaz2112
Skinny91
Duff_McGee
chev311e
SaintsofNowhere
Harlot Hero
Toadvine
Lt. Shinysides
Rookskerm
FlyingPirahna
Zerath
sugar_daddy
Last edited by Jon777 at Mar 8, 2014,
I'll actually give this a shot since I forgot about it last time. I also have something in the works anyway.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by ehbacon
any singers want to collab?

For backup vocals or lead?
Quote by KingDime666
It's dubstep minor in E.

Quote by steve_muse
I bet I'm gunna love Revolt #plottwist
my recording gear isn't great, but I'll give it a shot.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Well I'd say I'll give this a shot, but probably I won't so maybe I'll just submit a couple cover art ideas instead. . .

. . . give me a minute.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
What are the rules? Does it have to sound acoustic, or has to be acoustic?
Quote by Aralingh
What are the rules? Does it have to sound acoustic, or has to be acoustic?

If you're referring to the use of VSTs and whatnot, I'm gonna say that's okay so long as it actually sounds real. So, for example, if you want drums in your song but don't have the means to record drums, it's totally okay if you use Superior Drummer or something like that.

Quote by Toadvine
*pic*

This is really cool, I dig it. Could you try it with other fonts though? IMO the font doesn't really mesh with the art style.
Just started writing a new acoustic song last night. So count me in!
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Add me. Im working on trying to get my name out at the moment. Not the greatest singer in the world but hoping to get my name out and build at lest a small fan base. So add me man. Just message me when you're ready to take submissions.
Quote by Brewah43
Add me. Im working on trying to get my name out at the moment. Not the greatest singer in the world but hoping to get my name out and build at lest a small fan base. So add me man. Just message me when you're ready to take submissions.

Submissions can be sent in at any time between now and the deadline.
Quote by Jon777
If you're referring to the use of VSTs and whatnot, I'm gonna say that's okay so long as it actually sounds real. So, for example, if you want drums in your song but don't have the means to record drums, it's totally okay if you use Superior Drummer or something like that.

Oh crap, really? AWESOME.
Quote by Jon777

This is really cool, I dig it. Could you try it with other fonts though? IMO the font doesn't really mesh with the art style.

What about orchestras?
Quote by Aralingh
What about orchestras?

I think the main focus of each submission should be something that is actually recorded acoustically. If you want to add in an orchestra (that doesn't sound fake...) to supplement it, I don't see why that should be disallowed.

Simultaneously, I don't want to be the dude who dictates everything about this album. What do you guys think? Do we want to be super strict about keeping everything actually acoustic?
Quote by Jon777
I think the main focus of each submission should be something that is actually recorded acoustically. If you want to add in an orchestra (that doesn't sound fake...) to supplement it, I don't see why that should be disallowed.

Simultaneously, I don't want to be the dude who dictates everything about this album. What do you guys think? Do we want to be super strict about keeping everything actually acoustic?

If the purpose is to sound acoustic, then I have to ask about using effects- delay/reverb/etc, are those allowed?
Quote by Aralingh
If the purpose is to sound acoustic, then I have to ask about using effects- delay/reverb/etc, are those allowed?

A bit of reverb is fine (for the sake of a nice-sounding recording I guess?), but beyond that I'm gonna say nah. I think we should stick to the spirit of an "acoustic album."

Once again, if you guys disagree please let me know. The issue of what should and should not be allowed on an acoustic album seems to always come up in similar UG community projects, so I don't want to be the one guy saying "this is okay and this isn't, and that's final."
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I guess these background sounds I have in this demo isn't gonna work?

https://soundcloud.com/grungie/demo-2

I'm ok with it but it is pushing the limits, see what Jon says. It would make a really good mid-album segue as is though if the album is going to be a lot of tracks. Maybe he could make an exception for that purpose.

I'm interested in what you used on the acoustics on that, they have a very clean not-so-in-your-face sound but with a nice little thump on the attack. Doubled or stereo mics?
Last edited by tukk04 at Dec 2, 2013,
Quote by tukk04
I'm ok with it but it is pushing the limits, see what Jon says. It would make a really good mid-album segue as is though if the album is going to be a lot of tracks. Maybe he could make an exception for that purpose.

I'm interested in what you used on the acoustics on that, they have a very clean not-so-in-your-face sound but with a nice little thump on the attack. Doubled or stereo mics?

Just one of these with a cheap acoustic pickup:

http://c1.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/RP250_angle-fc37df755761159e761989af41e8fcb8.jpg
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I plan on using some drums (orchestral or otherwise), a bit of electric bass, and some harmonized choir vocals for some embellishment in the recording, but for the most part, it's going to be very acoustic-guitar driven. And I think that's acceptable. But if anyone has any objections, I'm open to taking them into consideration.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by tukk04
Wow, nice job using your gear to it's fullest potential. I was checking out your covers on soundcloud, good stuff.

Thanks, I've had that pedal since 2006
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Dizeaz2112
I could be down. Would acoustic instrumentals be alright?

I personally have no problem with it. Acoustic instrumentals, if done right, can be worthy of the masterpiece title.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
IMPO the general guidelines should be

-The focal instrument should be acoustic guitar

-Electric, Acoustic, and Upright bass are all acceptable

-Instrumentals are acceptable

-VST Samples allowed

1. Drum samples must be of acoustic drums/percussion
2. Orchestral/Bowed Instrument samples are allowed but cannot be used as the driving force on the track. The same goes for the real thing if accessible to you.
3. Keyboards also allowed to be used to emulate strings/piano.

-Keep to more natural sounding effects when tracking or mixing
1. Echo
2. Reverb
3. Compression
4. Light Chorus or Phase
Exceptions-EQ, Tube or Tape Saturation/Exciters, Limiters

-Tracks should be under 5 minutes in length (slightly over allowed within reason, maybe an exception for whomever volunteers to be the last track)
*note to TS, I'm guessing this will be download only right? So there wont be a need for file size limitations?*

Everyone feel free to suggest additions or alterations, TS feel free to copy/paste to original post. Again my suggestions, not the official guidelines until agreed on.
Last edited by tukk04 at Dec 2, 2013,
Quote by rocknrollstar
Sign me up

OT: is this demo loud enough?https://soundcloud.com/michaeloneilmusic/live-through-my-dreams-demo

Don't take this as submission as intend to re-do recording with slightly different lyrics + acoustic bass.

The volume should be fine.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I guess these background sounds I have in this demo isn't gonna work?

https://soundcloud.com/grungie/demo-2

Probably not. Like I said, I think we should keep to the spirit of an "acoustic album."
Was this going to be your sub?

Quote by korinaflyingv
http://mrtumnus23.bandcamp.com/track/chewing-nettles

i'll try and get it recorded better if possible

Rad stuff. Should I take this is your submission now on the off chance that you can't rerecord it?

Quote by Dizeaz2112
I could be down. Would acoustic instrumentals be alright?

Yeah, for sure.

Quote by tukk04
IMPO the general guidelines should be

*stuff*

Everyone feel free to suggest additions or alterations, TS feel free to copy/paste to original post. Again my suggestions, not the official guidelines until agreed on.

I think this is pretty reasonable and I'm sure it's what most of us had in mind as far as rules go. I disagree with the 5 minute limit, though; I don't think we should have a hard cap on song length. Just try not to be excessive and things should be fine.

Quote by tukk04
*note to TS, I'm guessing this will be download only right? So there wont be a need for file size limitations?*

Yeah. The reason I'm taking lossless files is because I think it'd be cool to post this on bandcamp.
Quote by Jon777
Probably not. Like I said, I think we should keep to the spirit of an "acoustic album."
Was this going to be your sub?

Probably not, I was really just curious
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Jon777
I think this is pretty reasonable and I'm sure it's what most of us had in mind as far as rules go. I disagree with the 5 minute limit, though; I don't think we should have a hard cap on song length. Just try not to be excessive and things should be fine.

Yeah. The reason I'm taking lossless files is because I think it'd be cool to post this on bandcamp.

Ok cool, the time cap isn't necessary if it's going on band camp.