Is it possible to wire an HSH guitar with 3 way toggle switch? to select one pickup at a time?
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
GEAR:
ESP MII CUSTOM
SQUIER STRAT
FENDER FRONTMAN 15

what is the difference?
GEAR:
ESP MII CUSTOM
SQUIER STRAT
FENDER FRONTMAN 15

The LP switch is made completely differently. A detailed description of both types is in the wiring thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006
A DPDT on-on-on toggle switch would work without the installation nightmare of the Fender switch.
Last edited by runriot_z28 at Dec 2, 2013,
3 pickup toggle style switches exist. Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty and 3 pickup SG G400s both use 3 humbuckers with a 3 way switch.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Lavatain at Dec 2, 2013,
Quote by Invader Jim
That's a different kind of switch. It can't select each pickup individually. It only selects Neck only, Bridge only, or Bridge+Middle (out of phase).

I knew there was something funky going on with those 3 pickup guitars. Figured it'd have a way of selecting each one individually but obviously not.

Thanks a lot, I would've never solved that mystery myself
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MTS-79/DPDT-ON-ON-ON-MOMENTARY-TOGGLE-SWITCH/1.html
so would something like this work if i wanted to be able to select each pickup individually?
GEAR:
ESP MII CUSTOM
SQUIER STRAT
FENDER FRONTMAN 15

No, that one is momentary on each side. So if you toggle it out of the middle position, it won't stay.

That's what the (ON)-ON-(ON) terminology means. The parentheses mean momentary. you want one that just says ON-ON-ON, no parentheses. Plus that type is really small and I question its long-term reliability.
so this is what im looking for?
GEAR:
ESP MII CUSTOM
SQUIER STRAT
FENDER FRONTMAN 15

GEAR:
ESP MII CUSTOM
SQUIER STRAT
FENDER FRONTMAN 15

Quote by runriot_z28
Sure it will. Jumper the mid/down terminal of pole 1 to the common of pole 2 on the switch. See attached.

can you do me a favor runriot and can you just explain this diagram so i know whats going on here?
GEAR:
ESP MII CUSTOM
SQUIER STRAT
FENDER FRONTMAN 15

Sure, in the top and bottom positions, an on-on-on switch acts as you expect, with both top or both bottom terminals connected to the middle (common) terminals of each pole. However, in the middle position, pole 1 common goes to the bottom terminal, while pole 2 common goes to the top.

So logically the switch performs two decisions: (1) connect pole 1 common to neck pickup (top) or pole 2 common (middle/bottom). (2) connect pole 2 common to middle pickup (top/middle) or bridge pickup (bottom).
i actually wanted to know what the blue x's mean and the dotted grey line. Sorry for not being clear, i just don't have the faintest idea when it comes to wiring.
GEAR:
ESP MII CUSTOM
SQUIER STRAT
FENDER FRONTMAN 15

Oh, those are just part of the switch object in Visio. The X's are attachment points for connectors... I rarely use them because I don't like how it auto-routes the lines, but it allows you to move the shape around and the connectors stay connected. The gray dotted line is just a reminder that the two throws are physically connected.