How to improve tremolo picking speed? I'm a very strong believer of not forcing yourself to play fast because it will come naturally with time, but if you really really want to improve your tremolo picking speed (why would you want to anyways) then you better get yourself a metronome and start a disciplined practice regime.
Focus more on your actual hand technique than the picking. Just make sure that your hand is really stable and in a comfortable position, then start increasing the speed. Then learn to do it in time as well. Don't anchor your pinky! I can tremolo pick for a really long time by making sure my wrist is in the right place. In the end, you only have to move your wrist a little bit to make it sound great. If you want to do tremolo picking on a string without palm muting it, just place your wrist on the bridge so you don't mute it.
Quote by muffinduck01
Yeah......

Nothing wakes you up faster then that feeling of warm shit where it shouldn't be.

Quote by T7E
Bumpety

My GF just rammed my butt hole for like 10 minutes with a lubed up drumstick
Practice very very slowly making your picking movement as small as possible - i.e. tiny tiny movements, then build speed up slowly without making the movements any bigger. You should hold the pick at about 5 degrees to the string and aim to clear the string either side (alternate picking) by just the thickness of a playing card. Carry a pick in your pocket at all times and use the seam of you jeans or any other ridge to practice on - on the bus, at the office, in class whatever - but do at every waking opportunity.
I disagree with the "Don't Anchor" philosophy, i anchor with my ring finger and have no problem picking as fast as humanly possible, and it's never really been proven that anchoring hinders your ability, unless of course i've missed something. If you can show me proof of this i'll begin changing my habits immediately, but like i said, i have no problem picking fast whatsoever.
Quote by jake2412
I disagree with the "Don't Anchor" philosophy, i anchor with my ring finger and have no problem picking as fast as humanly possible, and it's never really been proven that anchoring hinders your ability, unless of course i've missed something. If you can show me proof of this i'll begin changing my habits immediately, but like i said, i have no problem picking fast whatsoever.

ohmygodno.. please don't turn this into an anchoring thread. There's already a billion of them we don't need more
I anchor my pinky and I don't think it's a bad habit.

My playing sucks, but you know who gives a shit.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
relax your picking hand. the way you do this is to stop forcefully moving the pick through the string. all you need is that initial flick of the wrist; if you have a stable grip on the pick, the weight of your picking hand should ride that momentum and just fall through the string like a wrecking ball.

this might sound a little funny considering how tiny the movements we're talking about are, but just keep it in mind as you practice.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Practice slowly and relax like a motherfucker. If you're really tense before playing, bathe your hands in warm water beforehand and massage your wrists. The secret to speed is to eliminate excess tension and have movement.

All this business about anchoring is horseshit. If you're adding unnecessary tension, you're anchoring and you should stop because you're wasting energy and increasing your risk for injury. If your hand is relaxed, you aren't anchoring and you shouldn't advocate for something which can cause injury.
Heavier picks maybe?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Learn music that requires speed, and read books from the greatest music teachers of all time. Study the 'Metaphysics' of art, study your hand and how it operates. Never play stoned or drunk as all drugs will hinder you. Eat like a competition bodybuilder, and your blood will have the correct nutrients for your body to perform at a higher level, and repair faster, too
It's a start?
Quote by Sir Paul
Learn music that requires speed, and read books from the greatest music teachers of all time. Study the 'Metaphysics' of art, study your hand and how it operates. Never play stoned or drunk as all drugs will hinder you. Eat like a competition bodybuilder, and your blood will have the correct nutrients for your body to perform at a higher level, and repair faster, too
It's a start?

Another one: Sleep well. Allows your brain to process.
baab
Quote by Sir Paul
Study the 'Metaphysics' of art

What on Earth does that even mean?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't agree with practicing slowly and then one day you'll be able to play fast. If someone practices slowly it will build accuracy and eventually more accuracy will provide "some" speed. But to play fast and shred. That requires speed building exercises and playing to a metronome.
Quote by kingking22
I don't agree with practicing slowly and then one day you'll be able to play fast. If someone practices slowly it will build accuracy and eventually more accuracy will provide "some" speed. But to play fast and shred. That requires speed building exercises and playing to a metronome.

What makes certain exercises to "speed building exercises"? ANYTHING can be played at a fast tempo.

The way to build speed is to practice slowly, relaxed, accurately and cleanly. The key is to make a habit out of playing relaxed and playing every note perfectly, just like brushing your teeth you shouldn't have to think about it. From there on speed will develop naturally as long as you make sure to play as relaxed as possible and accurately.

My advice is to stop chasing speed and focus on playing well instead. Speed is not something you force, it develops naturally, but it only does so if you practice properly. Practice makes permanent, not perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I anchor my pinky and sometimes I even anchor my pinky and ring finger. It makes it easier for me. That way, my hand is actually sort of resting rather than me holding it up (floating) with my muscles, so that's one less thing to worry about.

But anyway, first you have to completely master alternate picking. You can't improve your tremolo picking if you're still struggling with alternate picking. Then just pick up and down up and down on one string..and gradually make it faster, and so it. Also you need to focus on your fretting hand. Because you might improve your picking hand and be able to play fast but your fretting hand could still be lagging behind. You have to sort of sync them together.
It takes time and dedication, really. Just like almost everything you learn.

Try to use like different patterns of fretting while practicing. So for example, go like 1,3,4,4,3,1 (those are your fingers on the string). Then you can go like 1,2,3,3,2,1 and so on.
Last edited by Surphyse at Dec 4, 2013,