I have a couple of different cabs and often jam on a third:

- Krankenstein 4x12 (600W) Eminence Texas Heat
- Vader 2x12 (150W) Eminence Man-o-War
- ValveKing 2x12 (400W) Branded ValveKing speakers

I use the same amp through all of them; a Peavey JSX. Although I only play metal I tend toward the low side of the gain knob. What I've noticed is that with the Krankenstein cab, I usually have the gain on about 3, where with the other two it is significantly higher to get the same amount of breakup. My theory is that the higher wattage of the K cab allows for the subtleties of the amp to come through as it sounds clearer with more headroom. I understand that different speakers sound different, but am wondering what effect power handling has on high gain guitar tones. Thanks.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Power handling should theoretically have no effect whatsoever on guitar tone.
The biggest difference comes from the frequency response, which depends on a whole friggin lot of things, and the second biggest if you ask me is the sensitivity (that XXdb x 1w @ 1m).

The difference in perception in your case is probably due to the size (put simply, more speakers => fuller sound) and the fact that you get more high end with the Texas Heats.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I could be totally wrong, but the big problem (as with most guitar things) is that you can say what should theoretically happen if everything else is equal, but the problem is in the real world very rarely is everything else equal. Some speakers are dirtier-sounding than others, for example, even if they're higher wattage.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, that too.

Also, Dave, the ****'s with your avatar?
Is that the Mona Lisa dressed as Santa?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
it's haggard-looking eddie van halen photoshopped into the mona lisa dressed as santa with added EVH stripes
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's haggard-looking eddie van halen photoshopped into the mona lisa dressed as santa with added EVH stripes

I gotta come to Ireland someday, just to check if every irishman is like you.
If that's the case, I may just have found a new home
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola

i'm pretty sure i'm weird for an irish person, I don't drink or anything, and I'm really quiet/shy in real life
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by crabstampede
I have a couple of different cabs and often jam on a third:

- Krankenstein 4x12 (600W) Eminence Texas Heat
- Vader 2x12 (150W) Eminence Man-o-War
- ValveKing 2x12 (400W) Branded ValveKing speakers

I use the same amp through all of them; a Peavey JSX. Although I only play metal I tend toward the low side of the gain knob. What I've noticed is that with the Krankenstein cab, I usually have the gain on about 3, where with the other two it is significantly higher to get the same amount of breakup. My theory is that the higher wattage of the K cab allows for the subtleties of the amp to come through as it sounds clearer with more headroom. I understand that different speakers sound different, but am wondering what effect power handling has on high gain guitar tones. Thanks.

higher wattage speakers are just speakers that have components that can handle more power output, this generally means the speaker is reinforced in two ways:

1) suspension. the suspension is the parts that let the cone traverse back and forth. this includes components like the spider and the surround. i kinda include the speaker cone itself in this category though i probably shouldn't. but these are the mechanical parts that are likely to tear or rip under high volume conditions, and stiffer/thicker/more durable components help make a higher wattage speaker

2) voice coil. this is the biggest culprit of why guitar speakers fail, if you send too much current into a voice coil then you can literally melt it into a useless chunk. more windings and bigger wire help reinforce high wattage speakers.

technically a cast basket has more reinforcement than a bent frame basket but i doubt there are any speakers literally bending the basket from extreme volumes.

either way, because lower wattage speakers are generally made with lighter, looser, thinner parts and smaller/lighter voice coils then they are usually considered to be more 'responsive'.

with all that being said, i have not noticed any absolute correlation between speaker tone and wattage rating. i agree with what is stated above, voicing design specifics seem to have far more impact over speaker tone than any kinda raw relationship to power handling rating.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ yeah, everything else being equal there's possibly some correlation, but unless you're trying higher-wattage versions of lower wattage speakers (say a creamback or something like that), you probably aren't in a situation where everything else is equal.

also lol at the santa hat on spambot's avatar, that made me laugh for some reason
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah yes, i forgot that its that time of year... thats better!

Thanks for your responses. I understand everything else isn't equal, but thought that such a drastic change in settings for basically the same sound (ish!) had to be attributed to something. I'm just going to chalk it up to tonal differences and leave it at that. Hope i can sleep tonight! Thanks again.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Quote by Dave_Mc
lol at the santa hat on spambot's avatar, that made me laugh for some reason

Big ups to Hydra for pointing out that paint.net exists.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm pretty sure i'm weird for an irish person, I don't drink or anything, and I'm really quiet/shy in real life

Sure you're Irish?
I mean you don't drink or anything?
I mean you could well be an englishman if you prefer tea, or really anything else, to whiskey.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Spambot_2
I mean you could well be an englishman if you prefer tea, or really anything else, to whiskey.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae