Hi guys,

So I am fairly experienced and love to play both electric and acoustic guitar.

Been playing for 3 years now and I seem to have this weird habit or problem

Basically just to run down with you all, I am pretty new on this site and only signed up and I am not sure if this is the right thread to post in but anyways back to the topic. So the problems I am having is with my right hand and its to do with fingerstyle. For some odd reason my second finger allways makes the string it plucks louder than any other fingers and it drives me insane! Even if I try to make it sound quieter it just somehow sounds louder than the other strings even if I were to play on other strings with my second finger.

Is there any exercises, tips or any advice for my technique with fingerstyle picking?

P.S I play a Colt MR E NS Steel string acoustic.

Kindest Regards for any errors I have made, Jack
Last edited by peaceful_tones at Dec 2, 2013,
hmm.. do you you the pads of your fingers or do you let your nails grow out a little? i grow my nails and have to keep the middle finger shorter because of that issue. it's not an uncommon problem.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
hmm.. do you you the pads of your fingers or do you let your nails grow out a little? i grow my nails and have to keep the middle finger shorter because of that issue. it's not an uncommon problem.

Yes I use the pads of my fingers, do you think that's the issue? Would growing and using my nails be alot easier for finger style?
I never use my nails or picks for fingerstyle normally, but I have tried them. I've never hard a particular issue with finger volume, but that just sounds like a finesse thing. Just take some time, and practice arpeggios, focusing on tone and volume between fingers.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker