Greetings!

I am a complete beginner when it comes to playing guitar. I know nothing about it whatsoever. But I have wanted to learn to play for a long time, and now I am finally going to do something about it. But first I need to actually get a guitar. I have found two guitars which are on sale at a local shop, but I could definitely use some expert opinion on them.

http://www.stagg --remove-- music.com/en/product_detail/l400-bk.html http://www.stagg --remove-- music.com/en/product_detail/l400-bk.html
Schecter Omen-6 http://www.schecter --remove-- guitars.com/products/guitar/omen-6.aspx]

Would any of these be a good choice for a complete beginner like me? I think I like the looks of the Schecter more, but the Stagg is a bit cheaper (about 100$ roughly), but I won't balk at paying for something that is much better.
Last edited by bob the cat at Dec 2, 2013,
Too many people associate "Complete Beginner" with "Toy Guitar." It does not work that way. Bargain-basement guitars are harder to play, so not intonate properly and sound bad. Thus, they encourage you to quit. They are also utterly worthless when you try to unload them. They are not good even to cannibalize for parts. Your best move is to get the best guitar you can afford. It will inspire you to play and to progress. You will not need to upgrade as quickly if you stick with playing. And if you ever want to unload it, you are more likely to get a few bucks for it. So don't start with the bargain basement stuff. Look at the Schecter and, if possible, go upwards from there.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Too many people associate "Complete Beginner" with "Toy Guitar." It does not work that way.

Excellent.

A guitar is a musical instrument like any other -- you need not start with a CPOS (Cheap Piece...) and work up, and in fact that's a recipe for disaster, as FatalGear41 has so eloquently stated. Go with the best quality and the best playability you can afford.
Don't buy cheap junk. Nobody wants cheap junk. It will make playing and learning harder, and you won't be able to sell your guitar when you want to upgrade.

Buy a decent guitar. Maybe give us budget, region, style of music and any other information you have? Then you'll start getting some decent recommendations.

Expect to spend between $200 and $300 for your first good guitar, IF you are shopping around and buying used. Look at brands known for making good budget instruments, like Godin, Hagstrom, Agile, Fender Made in Mexico, Squier Classic Vibe and Yamaha.
The Omen 6 is a good guitar. I've got one myself that was given to me (I use it for my extreme down-tunings now). I think it would be a great place to start. The Stagg is the definition of a cheap instrument. Definitely get what you pay for here. You should be able to get the Omen for around $300 new.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Yeah, I think found a good deal on the Omen. Roughly $300 (currency conversions etc.). It was the same price as the used Omen's, so it's either a good deal or the local used ones are overpriced.
The Fender Custom shop sells some nice beginner stuff.

Check out the Gibson Les Paul, too. You might like that one.
Quote by 5_Years_Dead
The Fender Custom shop sells some nice beginner stuff.

Check out the Gibson Les Paul, too. You might like that one.

This guy!
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by FatalGear41
Too many people associate "Complete Beginner" with "Toy Guitar." It does not work that way. Bargain-basement guitars are harder to play, so not intonate properly and sound bad. Thus, they encourage you to quit. They are also utterly worthless when you try to unload them. They are not good even to cannibalize for parts. Your best move is to get the best guitar you can afford. It will inspire you to play and to progress. You will not need to upgrade as quickly if you stick with playing. And if you ever want to unload it, you are more likely to get a few bucks for it. So don't start with the bargain basement stuff. Look at the Schecter and, if possible, go upwards from there.

Agreed.

There's no need to spend thousands on a first guitar, and in fact that's probably silly (especially if you have no other experience with playing musical instruments and genuinely don't know if you'll stick with it or not), but there's a certain level of quality you ideally want to hit if you can half afford it at all, if you want to give yourself the best possible chance of sticking with it.

Those cheaper starter pack-quality instruments in a best case scenario will need to be upgraded very soon if you stick with it, and in a worst case scenario can become a self-fulfilling prophecy in making you quit ("I didn't want to spend too much in case I quit" becomes "I quit because I spent too little and the guitar was barely playable").

Personally, from readily available-worldwide all the time kit (i.e. ignoring obscure brands or one-off good deals), I wouldn't want to cheap out much more than a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Vox Mini3/Roland Microcube.

In the UK that'll set you back around £300, new. Yeah, that's a fair bit if you're not sure if you're going to stick with it and/or if you're funding it with pocket money, but if you cheap out much more than that you're almost guaranteeing you'll have to upgrade sooner rather than later- and as I said, that's in a best case scenario.

Now, admittedly it is a hobby and I don't know your situation- I'd never suggest you get into debt or anything like that just for a hobby. But assuming you can stretch to £300 and do without some other non-necessary elective purchase, if you ask me, that's the way to go.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Yamaha costs a little more than the Schecter again... it's always that tiny, tiny gap up to the next model that always makes the cost climb. I won't get into debt or anything silly like that, but I feel that I must set a limit somewhere to avoid the cost climbing indefinitely. I'm just looking for a guitar at the moment since I'm going to use it with Rocksmith 2014.
Just as a point of reference--and obviously I don't think you should base your decision solely on Rocksmith--but know that anything with any kind of floating trem or floyd rose or anything similar, will give you a hard time while playing Rocksmith.

The game uses alternate tunings quite frequently and the constant retuning can grow to be a pain in the ass if you have a floating bridge. I guess its no coincidence that the game's primary sponsor is Epiphone, which uses the Tune-o-Matic bridge.
yeah that's the problem. you always say "the next model is only slightly more" and before you know you're spending 3 times what you were originally planning to

that schecter may well be fine. schecters are pretty dear in europe but if you're in the USA it's probably absolutely fine. i doubt it's any worse than the yamaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 2, 2013,
Ok, thanks for the advice. The Schecter really seems to be the best deal, although I am indeed in Europe. It has the Tune-o-Matic bridge as well, so it should work fine with Rocksmith I suppose. This will also be an experiment into seeing if a computer can teach me how to play guitar. Maybe I should start a blog about it ...
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah that's the problem. you always say "the next model is only slightly more" and before you know you're spending 3 times what you were originally planning too

Yeah. It happens.

The Yamaha or the Schecter are good bets though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^ yeah i just started bass as i got a killer deal on a vigier. figured i'd pick up a little practise amp. ended up with a 600 (ok so 375 at the impedance I'm running at, but still) watt genz benz halfstack. admittedly it was on deal too, but still. I have a problem...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I have a problem...

It's a problem the best of us haven't figured out how to beat.
yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?