Hi,

my first post, so please be gentle with me! I have (or will have on Saturday) a GRG170DX, and I want to put a Floyd Rose tremolo on it so I can do all this crazy divebomb and other harmonics stuff without the strings losing key. Is the Floyd Rose trem unit a direct replacement for the one that comes as standard on the guitar, or is re-drilling / routing required? Also, the Floyd Rose trem units I've seen on eBay have a choice of a 42 or 43mm locking nut. Which would I need for a GRG170DX?

Any help appreciated! Cheers
No. You can't just put a new floating bridge in a guitar and expect it to work, You would have to route the body of your guitar out and fabricate a shelf in the nut area to mount the locking nut, not an easy or cheap job. Just buy a guitar that already have a floyd rose stock, and buy a guitar with a floyd that isn't terrible.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 2, 2013,
Probably a fool's errand. The installation of a Floyd and a locking nut on that guitar will cost you about the same as what you paid for the guitar, and then you have to pay for the Floyd as well. In the end, you'll have a cobbled-up guitar that will be worth little more than you paid for the guitar alone.

You're far better off to find a similar guitar with an existing Floyd. Or just use the trem that's on this one already.
Quote by dspellman
Probably a fool's errand.

agreed. what it'll cost you will likely be as much as would buy you a better guitar which already has a floyd rose on it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tech work/routing and the cost of parts would definitely cost more than that guitar costs. And at the end of the day you'd have a low end guitar with a FR for more than it would cost to buy a low end guitar with a FR, except that you'd have one guitar instead of two.

Save up a bit, you can get guitars with excellent FR units (ones that will last you for life, think about that) starting at around ~$400 used.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, i ditched the Ibanez idea, thanks for all the advice/info though. I have ended up with a Jackson Warrior WXRT with a genuine/original Floyd Rose floating trem. And bleedin' awesome it is as well. Grinning like a Cheshire Cat I am!!
good choice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?