Hi guys! I've been wondering about the new "Black Winter" pickups from Seymour Duncan. I have EMG's in my Eclipse right now, but have been intrigued by passives for a while. I primarily play a mixture of death, thrash and black metal and they seem to really give the guitar a really kvlt and gr1m tone.

Anyone here have any experience with them, or can give any insight into them?

Cheers!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I also would like to know what these are like for melodic death metal / thrash
I can pick one up for £58 but dont want to get it and pay for it to be installed if its not quite what im after
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
Arent these like SD Distortion on steroids if I have understood correctly? If so, I doubt you can go wrong with them for any extreme music.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by peavey6505+user
I also would like to know what these are like for melodic death metal / thrash
I can pick one up for £58 but dont want to get it and pay for it to be installed if its not quite what im after

I'd like to know where you're getting those! They're pretty pricy in Sweden.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Not likely here. They just came out. Go check over in the Seymour Duncan forums.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have them in my Gibson studio they are
very versatile for a metal pickup. I play
classic metal like Judas priest quiet riot etc
all the way to modern metal LOG, killswitch,
Machine head etc. There very hot but easy to
control great balance of lows mids and highs
and rather impressive clean as well.
Do you have the kinda twang that Ola has in his tone? That's the only thing for me that's a little offputting but I don't know if it's only the way his tone is. There's this other video here that doesn't have any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpLpuO-q-To
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Do you have the kinda twang that Ola has in his tone? That's the only thing for me that's a little offputting but I don't know if it's only the way his tone is. There's this other video here that doesn't have any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpLpuO-q-To

Ola is a good guy, but i must say his demos aren't always 'true experience' with what he has. he has a really heavy right hand and usually is drop tuned or on a seven. with the processing that he uses can be a little misleading of what he is demoing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be9oMgWXC3g

tell me how that sounds like the last MG you have played.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That's what I was thinking, it didn't sound similar to what I was hearing on the other demos.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky

Pretty sure that's the Randall Satan doing that, not the pickups.

But yea, the guy is a monster. I'm afraid people actually went out and bought Line 6 Spiders and MGs, thinking they're going to sound as monstrous as him.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Haha! He's got sick riffs that's for sure.
Quote by luxeion

again he is a good guy, i have talked to him quite a bit a few months ago on a long long thread about how he does his videos, and i said that they are a little off for the average player due to his picking, processing, and low tunings. and suggested he widen his range of his videos, or maybe do it in two tunings.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
That's what I was hoping for That twang was really bothering me...
Quote by luxeion

Quote by trashedlostfdup
again he is a good guy, i have talked to him quite a bit a few months ago on a long long thread about how he does his videos, and i said that they are a little off for the average player due to his picking, processing, and low tunings. and suggested he widen his range of his videos, or maybe do it in two tunings.

He's starting to do a little in D standard on his 6. Still sounds very similar. I don't know what's going on, but he makes anything sound decent
I'd say they sound pretty similar to the Keith Merrow demo posted earlier. His stuff seems fairly accurate most of the time.
[404]Signature not found
These pups might not be for everyone but if
you want the output of actives and thick tone
of passives these are worth a shot.
That's what I was hoping for That twang was really bothering me...

The "twangy" sound is Ola's thing. He first had it when it tested Randall Thrasher I think. Nothing to do with pickups, its his sound. He likes it and there is no question it does make notes stand out but good god I personally HATE that tone!

I guess it has something to do how the Low and High freq Gain knobs are set because he has that tone on both Thrasher and Satan but I think I have not heard it in other amps. Its, for example, missing in his newer Randall RD5 vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ZnVQMTPJ0

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Excellent, I think I'll snag a pair. They seem perfect, mwahaha.
Quote by luxeion

what i hope it isn't is the equivalent to the Dimarzio X2N, full output, nothing else. the higher gain the pickup the more lifeless it can be. *not* always though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what i hope it isn't is the equivalent to the Dimarzio X2N, full output, nothing else. the higher gain the pickup the more lifeless it can be. *not* always though.

Hey! I like my X2N.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Apparently there's some added "grain" as well.
Quote by luxeion

do you guys think these would be good for doom or what? sorry to hijack your thread brah, but I'm lookin for some pickups for doom/sludge/stoner stuff. people said low output humbuckers are the way to go, but I don't know. I'm likin the Lace Drop n Gains and I think Scott Kelly uses em, but they're pretty pricey.
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
do you guys think these would be good for doom or what? sorry to hijack your thread brah, but I'm lookin for some pickups for doom/sludge/stoner stuff. people said low output humbuckers are the way to go, but I don't know. I'm likin the Lace Drop n Gains and I think Scott Kelly uses em, but they're pretty pricey.

Doom is all about the vintage tones dude! Low output pickups, volume and gain cranked to 11 on an old-school Marshall/Orange/Sunn head and rip the knobs off!

There's a good reason things like old SGs and Les Pauls are pretty much standard issue when it comes to doom...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Doom is all about the vintage tones dude! Low output pickups, volume and gain cranked to 11 on an old-school Marshall/Orange/Sunn head and rip the knobs off!

There's a good reason things like old SGs and Les Pauls are pretty much standard issue when it comes to doom...

true that

I play an sg myself

sort of (epiphone)
banned
Black winters are more modern voiced don't think
they'd work well for doom.
as stupid as it sounds, my 'doom' tone has a 490R in the neck and a 500t in the bridge for one, that not strictly doom though its a Gibson LP, its mainly used for other heavier tones.

then the Gibson SG has dual EMG81's, with just two on/'off switces one per pickup. with both on it is heavy as hell through especially the tremoverb.

then i am searching for pickups for a heavy droptuned ibby rg prestige.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by MaaZeus
Hey! I like my X2N.

That guy obviously doesn't like Death sound haha.
Quote by JackovSlayer
That guy obviously doesn't like Death sound haha.

chuck was talented, the band was OK, but the tone is terrible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
chuck was talented, the band was OK, but the tone is terrible.

I am not a big fan of that sound either, but hey, there are people who like it, and I respect their opinion.
I like my 335 for doom.

Death is one of the first bands I really got into. Whether or not the tone is the most pleasant thing ever is irrelevant, it's certainly aggressive.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Dec 4, 2013,
I just ordered a Black Winter for the bridge of one of my guitars to see how it sounds.
[..BLACKFIRE..]