Yeah i'm on a low budget here and want to know if i should keep my cheap imitation guitar and get me self a good amp or stay with crappy 15 watt amp and buy a good axe.
Need more specifics as to what guitar and amp you have.

It can be a paradox, if the amp is truly crap it's going to limit any guitar from sounding it's best, but if the guitar is a steaming pile then no amp is going to make it sound better.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
^ yeah. if they're both really poor then you'd ideally want to upgrade both.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My advice, for what it's worth, is to upgrade your guitar. Having a quality instrument to learn on is important. Don't concentrate on tone before you concentrate on notes and chords.

Just my opinion...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
My advice, for what it's worth, is to upgrade your guitar. Having a quality instrument to learn on is important. Don't concentrate on tone before you concentrate on notes and chords.

Just my opinion...

Playability is important for beginners yes. But a crap amp is going to make everything you play sound like crap. It kills motivation. I played my American Deluxe Strat on a super cheap amp once and it sounded just as bad as a $100 guitar... literally!

OP may also try to get his guitar set up better if it doesn't play well.
Tell us what amp and guitar you have, we can help a lot more then. Otherwise it's just an exercise in arguing about anecdotes and generalizations.
I think everybody's right. With my POD xt by line 6, I can dial in any amp I want and play it through my amp, improving any guitar or amp's tone. I have cheap and expensive guitars to play. From this I've learned that different amps will give the same guitar different tone qualities, and that a cheap guitar sounds better through a good amp.
Put your money on a better guitar to start with, and get a PODxt with headphones so you can practice and play through them untill your ears bleed. Then you will know which amp makes your guitar sound best, so you will know which one to buy. Good luck.