Bought a used Vypyr Tube 60 amp 6 months ago. The seller said he bought it in 2009 (first year released) and didn't play it very often. The amp is in fantastic shape (not sure about the tubes, & they never were replaced).

Last week I went into a shop and played with their Vypyr Tube 60 for fun using a store guitar. The store's Vypyr had significantly more low-end and therefore I found it sounded nicer overall than mine. I want to know why this could be the case? Reasons I can think of:

1. Newer version of the Vypyr in the store means the latest firmware over my old Vypyr.

2. Newer and/or possibly slightly different tubes in the store model

3. Different guitars. I played the store Vypyr with an $800 guitar (don't recall the model). My guitar at home is a lower-end Ibanez guitar (RG120 with Infinity 3 & 4 pickups) as seen here.

I also noticed using my friend's MXR fuzz pedal that my guitar sounds much more harsh and generally crappy through it than his guitar was. So could a guitar make that much of a difference? What is the most likely reason for the different sounding Vypyr 60 amps? Also, if it is my guitar, would new pickups make a huge difference, or should I buy an entirely new, more higher-end guitar?
Last edited by Barricade_28 at Dec 2, 2013,
There's many variables. Guitars wood(s); Pickups; speaker (if old owner changed that); tubes; difference in volume (more volume means the speaker cone moves more giving more bass frequencies); room design/acoustics etc etc. Could even be a combination of all of those things.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
^ all of this and more
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Do you play yours often at louder volumes?

Could be that your speakers aren't broken in yet, as far as the low end is concerned. Also could be your tubes, but I've never really had a pair of tubes make or break the sound of an amp, unless they were dying, of course.

Also - The fact that you're using the cheapest Ibanez at home and used a much better guitar in the store, which probably had much better pickups than yours, is another big factor.

Also, as stated, the volume you were playing at could make a difference in how you perceive the sound. Acoustics of the room can play a role, but if you're sitting in front of it playing it fairly loud, the acoustics of the room don't make THAT much of a difference, unless yours is trapped under something. Could also be the placement - If the Vypyr was up against a wall and yours isn't, that accounts for the larger low end.

Lots of stuff could be the culprit, tbh.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Lavatain
There's many variables. Guitars wood(s); Pickups; speaker (if old owner changed that); tubes; difference in volume (more volume means the speaker cone moves more giving more bass frequencies); room design/acoustics etc etc. Could even be a combination of all of those things.

The amp is stock. Both mine and the store amp have been played at bedroom levels with a noticeable difference.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Do you play yours often at louder volumes?

Also, as stated, the volume you were playing at could make a difference in how you perceive the sound. Acoustics of the room can play a role, but if you're sitting in front of it playing it fairly loud, the acoustics of the room don't make THAT much of a difference, unless yours is trapped under something. Could also be the placement - If the Vypyr was up against a wall and yours isn't, that accounts for the larger low end.

I usually play my amp at home at bedroom levels, and the amp has been against a wall and out in the middle of my room without much of a noticeable different. I played the store amp very similarly to how I usually play my home Vypyr, that is right up close to it at bedroom levels so I can fiddle with the amp knobs. I'm fairly convinced it's something with either my guitar or something within the amps themselves that is the difference.
Last edited by Barricade_28 at Dec 2, 2013,
It's your guitar. There's a noticeable difference between guitars. My Epiphone Les Paul (that I sold) sounded pretty different compared to my Charvel So Cal, and that was through a Micro Cube. The Epiphone sounded a lot duller than the Charvel. The Charvel had brighter and overall more full sound than the Epiphone.

I would maybe buy a completely new guitar, unless your guitar plays well and feels great and stays in tune well. Also, having two guitars is always a good thing.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I teach guitar at a local music store and I have two Vyper 1's in my teaching space, one is the original model and one is the newest version that came out around the end of summer, and here is a huge difference in the bass response. If in fact you tried out the newer Vyper in the store and then purchased an older Vyper then that would explain the difference. I make all my kids plug into the old one because the new one sounds sooo much more full.
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
Also try upgrading the firmware. There were some big changes in the early versions I believe.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Easiest way to get to the bottom of the problem is to take your amp to the store and try them side by side.

Otherwise we'll just speculate til the sun sets.

$800 guitar vs $200 guitar is a pretty big red flag though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DaliLama
I teach guitar at a local music store and I have two Vyper 1's in my teaching space, one is the original model and one is the newest version that came out around the end of summer, and here is a huge difference in the bass response. If in fact you tried out the newer Vyper in the store and then purchased an older Vyper then that would explain the difference. I make all my kids plug into the old one because the new one sounds sooo much more full.

I'm pretty sure Vypyr Tube has only one "generation". The new Vypyr you are talking about is a solid state guitar/bass amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Barricade_28
Bought a used Vypyr Tube 60 amp 6 months ago. The seller said he bought it in 2009 (first year released) and didn't play it very often. The amp is in fantastic shape (not sure about the tubes, & they never were replaced).

Last week I went into a shop and played with their Vypyr Tube 60 for fun using a store guitar. The store's Vypyr had significantly more low-end and therefore I found it sounded nicer overall than mine. I want to know why this could be the case? Reasons I can think of:

1. Newer version of the Vypyr in the store means the latest firmware over my old Vypyr.

2. Newer and/or possibly slightly different tubes in the store model

3. Different guitars. I played the store Vypyr with an $800 guitar (don't recall the model). My guitar at home is a lower-end Ibanez guitar (RG120 with Infinity 3 & 4 pickups) as seen here.

I also noticed using my friend's MXR fuzz pedal that my guitar sounds much more harsh and generally crappy through it than his guitar was. So could a guitar make that much of a difference? What is the most likely reason for the different sounding Vypyr 60 amps? Also, if it is my guitar, would new pickups make a huge difference, or should I buy an entirely new, more higher-end guitar?

I would say you answered your own question.

If you want to improve your tone then:
a.) get a better guitar
b.) get JJ tubes
c.) update the firmware
d.) experiment with different amp positions

I found that moving the Vypyr around or moving yourself can drastically change the tone. I've found that having the amp in a corner a couple of feet away from the wall works best with me standing directly inline with the speaker about 6 ft away. If I get over to the sides, too close or too far away it doesn't sound as good.

Quote by DaliLama
I make all my kids plug into the old one because the new one sounds sooo much more full.