when working on efficiency of motion with your fretting hand (getting rid of the wild pinky and such) for your fingers to feel like you're working on new muscles in them? My fingers were getting tired by trying to make sure they all didn't stray far from the strings while playing a tasty lick. My main question is if it could be bad to work on it for too long? I've been playing guitar on and off for almost 9 years... the wrong way. I won't be able to get past Hetfield at this point. I love Metallica, I'm just talking smack.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I went through the same thing when I was trying to fix my pinky. My fingers didn't really get tired though, it just felt a little weird since my brain was telling them not to move, but my muscle memory was still trying to force them to move. And that's really all that your issue is too. You need to make your fingers forget what they currently know and teach them the right way.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by metal4all
when working on efficiency of motion with your fretting hand (getting rid of the wild pinky and such) for your fingers to feel like you're working on new muscles in them? My fingers were getting tired by trying to make sure they all didn't stray far from the strings while playing a tasty lick. My main question is if it could be bad to work on it for too long? I've been playing guitar on and off for almost 9 years... the wrong way. I won't be able to get past Hetfield at this point. I love Metallica, I'm just talking smack.

The problem is that you're trying too hard to keep your fingers close to the fretboard. What you need to be going for with the fretting hand isn't to force yourself in to economy of motion but as much relaxation as possible.

What I mean by that is that when you're done using a fretting finger you shouldn't be lifting it to a certain height or anything but simply not fretting any more. Literally just relax your finger and it should only come off the fret board by a few millimetres.

Of course this is harder than it sounds but the point is that you shouldn't be forcing your fingers to stay at a certain height; that way lies tension and excess tension is the enemy!

Also be aware that this isn't something that you just get one day and boom you can do it. You have to practice this carefully over the course of years and it gradually filters in to your playing as you get better at it and your fingers get more used to doing it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
-The problem is that you're trying too hard to keep your fingers close to the fretboard. What you need to be going for with the fretting hand isn't to force yourself in to economy of motion but as much relaxation as possible.

What I mean by that is that when you're done using a fretting finger you shouldn't be lifting it to a certain height or anything but simply not fretting any more. Literally just relax your finger and it should only come off the fret board by a few millimetres.

-Of course this is harder than it sounds but the point is that you shouldn't be forcing your fingers to stay at a certain height; that way lies tension and excess tension is the enemy!

-Also be aware that this isn't something that you just get one day and boom you can do it. You have to practice this carefully over the course of years and it gradually filters in to your playing as you get better at it and your fingers get more used to doing it.
-That makes perfect sense.
-That's what I was worried about. I'm glad you know what's up.
-For sure. Years of doing it wrong will take years to fix.

Thank you a bunch.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I had the same issue as you. I tried hard to make pinky stay close to the strings. But it was completely wrong and I ended up injuring my hand. It started to hurt and I spent one month not able to play at all. Now I am better but I got my lesson. Don't make same mistakes. Just relax and follow the advice above.

Also don't worry to much about pinky. Look at how Eric Johnson plays, his pink is flying all over the fretboard.
Quote by guitarist1977

Also don't worry to much about pinky. Look at how Eric Johnson plays, his pink is flying all over the fretboard.

agreed. plenty of really good/fast players' fingers go all over the place. the technique's a means to an end (IMO), not the end in itself. if you can play what you need to play and it's not holding you back (some brutal honesty is needed, but still), there's no real problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know it's a little late, but thank you for the above 2 replies. I don't know how to keep my fingers relaxed. When I push down on a string with one finger, it's like I need another finger to go up a little bit to give it strength. Once I'm in the zone, I've never had a problem with my speed. I'm not a shredder but I can play fast enough for what I want to play.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
no worries

yeah if it's not holding you back I wouldn't worry about it. you could do more harm than good (as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread) by trying to fix something that's not really broken.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?