Hey guys, I have a classical guitar and when tuning the open strings, all is well. However once I fret the first fret, it goes sharp all the way up to the 11th fret. Surprisingly when I fret the 12th fret it gets much closer in tune(but not perfect). I was initially going to file away some of the saddle to compensate but I'm now thinking it could be a problem with the nut instead?? What do you guys recommend?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
File away the grooves of the nut?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
how long have you had your strigns on your classical guitar and have you ever tried doing bends or done anything like stretch the string out

cause once dropped my classical and caught it by the strings(e and a) and then noticed a similar problem once i changed te strings it seemed to fix itself

now if you have this problem on all the strings i doubt it can be this

but before you start hackign away at your saddle or nut maybe try changing the strings
Quote by supersac
how long have you had your strigns on your classical guitar and have you ever tried doing bends or done anything like stretch the string out

but before you start hackign away at your saddle or nut maybe try changing the strings

I agree with supersac, change your strings first. Old strings get stretched badly. I had almost rusty strings on my acoustic once and when fretting the 12th fret, it played the note of the 11th fret :P
Quote by Megadeth09
Hey guys, I have a classical guitar and when tuning the open strings, all is well. However once I fret the first fret, it goes sharp all the way up to the 11th fret. Surprisingly when I fret the 12th fret it gets much closer in tune(but not perfect). I was initially going to file away some of the saddle to compensate but I'm now thinking it could be a problem with the nut instead?? What do you guys recommend?
If a guitar's action is too high, the strings tend to pull sharp when fretted. This is because basically, you're "bending the string". The higher the action, the more the string bends when you fret it. This phenomenon is true of every guitar, regardless of string type. The effect is probably worst on a 12 string, because the strings change pitch differently, when each pair is fretted. (The skinny octave strings change pitch more the the heavier prime strings).

I'm not trying to dispute the fact you may need a new set of strings, just talking about one of the possible causes.

As others have suggested, the nut could be PART of the problem. Strings too high in the nut, cause difficult fretting at the first fret, and obviously could add to the problem, by adding to the amount the string bends overall.

However, the "setup" adjustments must be made in a certain order. 1st, set the neck relief, 2nd set the string height by sanding down the saddle, and DEAD LAST, and only if needed, file the nut grooves deeper.

So, change the strings first, and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't cure the problem, research the proper specs for string height, neck relief, and nut groove depth, before you go tearing into any adjustments. Remember, if you file the nut grooves too deep, you don't get any sort of "do-over", you have to replace the nut!

Here's a guide for setting up STEEL STRING acoustics: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

The general process is the same, but your measured tolerances are going to be different. So, look before you leap.
If this is a classical spanish-like guitar, i really doubt that you can adjust the neck. This kind of guitars do not have this kind of mechanism.

String is a possibility, get new ones and try. Remember that classic nylon strings need to stretch up before they can hold the tuning.

The nut and the bridge must be compensated, you can sand the bone (or plastic) piece on the bridge first and then the nut. Bit in my experience these does not really make the strings to go sharp. I Once had a similar problem with my spanish guitar and I had to replace the tuning machines.
The strings on at the moment are the ones that came fitted on the guitar from brand new. I have been told stock strings usually suck and will be fitting new strings on and seeing if it helps solve the problem.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II