Hey guys, so for my band xolarias demo cd, i had to write an instrumental, we are pretty much a tech death band, but this instrumental is most def not tech death haha I did everything on this recording myself. Playing and sound wise i went for something like a cross between george lynch and marty friedman (Two of my many influences) Id love to hear what u guys think!!!!
https://www.reverbnation.com/xolaria

Its the first song on the list!

As always, Ill gladly C4C!!!!!

Thanks,

Jake P
awesomo41894,
The nice intro harmony guitars remind me of Brian May (a compliment). I eat Shredded Wheat five days a week, so I think I am uniquely qualified to review shredded guitar I think it does shred & rock very well on the lead guitar! I like it! Nothing to complain about, it all sounds quite good to me. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1623858
Quote by aaron aardvark
awesomo41894,
The nice intro harmony guitars remind me of Brian May (a compliment). I eat Shredded Wheat five days a week, so I think I am uniquely qualified to review shredded guitar I think it does shred & rock very well on the lead guitar! I like it! Nothing to complain about, it all sounds quite good to me. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1623858

lmao!!! Thanks man!! Im gonna crit ur song now!
Quote by Night
clipping/distortion/artifacts like mad.

Well, thanks for listening man, on my end i dont notice any of that, but i just have some shitty computer speakers haha, i really should get some monitors, but im cheap haha. Is there anything u'd like critted?
Hey bud, I just wanted to say that, while this is a shred song, I think you need to put some changes in dynamics. About mid-way through the song, I thought a lighter part with clean guitar/piano would be a nice break from the chaos n shred. Then introducing a melody over top, bringing back the shred would work out well.

Glad to see this project is going well for ya bud
Quote by BloodReverence
Hey bud, I just wanted to say that, while this is a shred song, I think you need to put some changes in dynamics. About mid-way through the song, I thought a lighter part with clean guitar/piano would be a nice break from the chaos n shred. Then introducing a melody over top, bringing back the shred would work out well.

Glad to see this project is going well for ya bud

Thanks a lot man! Haven't heard from ya in a long time! Its been going pretty good, im also in a couple different bands atm, im playing shows pretty much weekly. Its been pretty good.
Nice, virtuous instrumental.. The bass and drum parts (especially the bassy part) is completely out of the mix it seems tho. Those could be balanced more evenly... also the fill's on the cymbals started to annoy me personally... so maybe bring dynamics to that... more hi hat work. Guitar stuff is great though, wish I could play like that.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1625525 Check it out if you have the time.
lol nah me pointing out a single technical thing isn't worth your time in a return crit xD
It's a cool tune tho nonetheless!

Bit of a slow start imo tho, that one lead @ 00:34 gets a bit tiresome and it's repeated as if it's meant to be the prominent melody, yet it's never revisited again? drums could use better programming, as currently it sound like a lazy effort :P As if they're there only to keep time or for the sake of just having a beat track :P

How are you recording your guitars? Is there bass as well? I can't tell very well if there is, Tho it sounds like it's just a single note plucked along throughout the song, I only ever notice the bass from when the rhythm section changes. I ask because if you're recording DI, dry guitar tracks - I wouldn't mind having a go at mixing the song. It'll give me something to do on the side while I finish up my current project!
Last edited by Night at Dec 9, 2013,
Quote by Night
lol nah me pointing out a single technical thing isn't worth your time in a return crit xD
It's a cool tune tho nonetheless!

Bit of a slow start imo tho, that one lead @ 00:34 gets a bit tiresome and it's repeated as if it's meant to be the prominent melody, yet it's never revisited again? drums could use better programming, as currently it sound like a lazy effort :P As if they're there only to keep time or for the sake of just having a beat track :P

How are you recording your guitars? Is there bass as well? I can't tell very well if there is, Tho it sounds like it's just a single note plucked along throughout the song, I only ever notice the bass from when the rhythm section changes. I ask because if you're recording DI, dry guitar tracks - I wouldn't mind having a go at mixing the song. It'll give me something to do on the side while I finish up my current project!

I do record DI, i run through a cheap Behringer UCA 222 AI. I record into reaper, the lead sound comes from guitar rig 4, the rhythm tones are some free vst plugins (Lepou ones I believe).
haha u totally hit the nail on the head with this song, I never even meant to MAKE this a song, haha it was just like a scratch pad for ideas, but then i liked some of my guitar moments so i was like why not. I DO totally hate the drum track (Again, u were right, it was just one beat haha) but meh haha I dont have all the individual files for this track. But maybe in the future u could mix one of my more serious songs. Ive listened to some of ur stuff, your stuff sounds pro quality man!! If you'd ever wanna collab on something, lemme know! And on a final note, there is bass but it just pretty much followed the rhythm guitar. I mean, the rhythms are just variations of E5, then a section where it goes between G5 and A5 haha nothing crazy.