I started playing at my church. We use isolation boxes in the back for the guitar amps, mic them, and have a D.I. box on stage for us to run the signal back to it. I've been playing there for a few months now, and since then I've been fighting my tone the entire time. I play a Dean Evo through a '94 Fender Twin, which I just replaced the power tubes and first gain stage preamp tube last month. I'm also running about 10 pedals through the front.

The main problem is that it distorts really easily, and I only have it on 2.5/3 on the clean channel. I have two overdrives and a clean boost, which I use to boost the signal up a little for the degradation. I'm not playing too heavy so I try to keep my ODs (an original ProCo Rat, and CatalinBread Silver Kiss MKII) on pretty low gain. At home it sounds great, nice breakup, but its sound like a bad 80s trash album when I engage even one of the pedals on stage.

Where did my head room go? and what can I do to fix whatevers wrong?
Is the Silver Kiss a distortion pedal? Cause I know the rat is. That could be your problem. You want boost/od, not distortion.

A general difference is a distortion pedal ALWAYS adds gain.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Dec 3, 2013,
Quote by lucky1978
Is the Silver Kiss a distortion pedal? Cause I know the rat is. That could be your problem. You want boost/od, not distortion.

The silver kiss is an OD. I keep the Rat's gain level at like 9 O'clock, and when I'm at home (playing at 1.5 max lol), it sounds really good. Also, even if I just have the Silver Kiss going alone, it still sounds bleh.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
something might be up with your amp. twins are THE amp for headroom.

I know, right? Usually I don't have a problem. I didn't Bias the thing when I swapped tubes, or maybe it needs new preamps?
6L6GCS, what was in them before, different brand though. I believe it had Groove Tubes, and I swapped them for Shuguangs because I'm poor.
The Groove Tubes were probably Shuguang anyway.

Set up your pedals at the volume you intend to play at. You'll never get it right otherwise.

It's about where the volume actually sits in the circuit. When you turn up the volume you aren't just feeding more into the power amp, you are turning up preamp tubes as well. So at higher volumes they are closer to breakup right off the bat. It takes less boost to make them clip. Unnerstan?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 3, 2013,
maybe its the di box?
cause it seems thatt the only ting that changes from your try at home and your try there

but yeah set up your pedals at the volume youre goign to be using them
So after playing last night and tonight, and with much tweaking, I've realized it's my overdrive tone that is driving me crazy. I'm going to have to sit around and play with them until I can find a suitable tone, or maybe it's time to go shopping.
Quote by Cathbard

God, I love South Park
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525