here it is. i am a cheap ass when it comes to certain things. i buy strings that are in bulk because they are cheaper. that leads me to .11 D'addario nickel blues. well i am sick of the slack of .11's have.

i have two guitars in C#std, a 1570 pristege ibby, and a gibson SG.

so what i have been thinking how i could take the .09's i have from a long time ago, not use the small E string and shift everything in order and pick up a .60 for the 6th string, and do that.

the problem: the third would be wound. i have never played with a wound third string, and i do some bending and intensive playing, and don't know how it works out. the ibanez is more for melo-death and the SG is more a long the lines of doom, but i will use both either way.

so buy a bulk .18 (or something close) in plain twelve for $3, and still buying the three pack of .58's for $4.

should i just say f*** it and buy heavier strings and at a higher price.

for some reason i hate buying strings. i wish they all had bulk packs.

what do you thing, and recommend. i don't anticipate going below C#std, but whatever it is i want it tight. hell even what brands. that are cheaper because i don't think d'addario makes strings that heavy.

how would these be? http://www.music123.com/accessories/ernie-ball-2839-baritone-electric-guitar-string-set

i feel stupid, but sometimes i am good as mind****ing myself.

thoughts?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Buy singles here to build your own sets. http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/electric-guitar-strings-8/?zenid=qm6khdeeh9rk0b4parnmfqp4k7

I've looked at most of the single string sites, this one is the only one with reasonable/sane shipping costs. Price comes out pretty good when you buy in bulk, considering they're custom sets. I think it averages out to $5 or $6 a set, I don't remember. I know you're probably used to paying a lot less than that per set, but remember: custom set. Probably cheaper at the end of the day than mix/matching and throwing a bunch of spares away.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Buy singles here to build your own sets. http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/electric-guitar-strings-8/?zenid=qm6khdeeh9rk0b4parnmfqp4k7

I've looked at most of the single string sites, this one is the only one with reasonable/sane shipping costs. Price comes out pretty good when you buy in bulk, considering they're custom sets. I think it averages out to $5 or $6 a set, I don't remember. I know you're probably used to paying a lot less than that per set, but remember: custom set. Probably cheaper at the end of the day than mix/matching and throwing a bunch of spares away.

thanks for the link.

it would come to $6 a pack, just like these below, they are $6 for a pack, and i know i can get them shipped free, and in my doorstep in like 3-4 days from MF. also i don't love the idea of picking the strings individually, kind of nice to know you have a pack that has everything i need.

http://www.music123.com/accessories/ernie-ball-2839-baritone-electric-guitar-string-set

is there anything different than baritone strings?

will a .72 fit through a gibson kluson styled tuner? or a gotoh tuner that ibanez uses?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I recently tried to do that on my Jackson Kelly.I wanted to shift all the strings up, that means I would have an extra high E string (original B on the high E place) and an empty low E (where I would put and extra thick low E string). The problem was that the thicker strings couldnt fit into the nut. They just stay ON the nut but wont fall into the hole designed for the string. This led to the string sliding of the nut, what made playing impossible. No solution to this for me, didnt want to mechanically do something to my guitar. thats it.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Check these out, completely customizeable sets and $3 a set (you buy in bulk)

www.nakedstrings.com $15 for 5 sets
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Being from Europe I have been unable to check their services (without hefty postage) but I have heard good things about Circle K strings. They have a lot of different combinations to choose from. From typical gauges with tensions all over the place to balanced sets and progressive tension sets. Latter seems to be exactly what you are looking for.

http://circlekstrings.com/store/product3519.html
http://circlekstrings.com/store/product3521.html

Not the cheapest around but buying in bulk is cheaper than buying your typical brands, butchering them and adding single strings on top.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
thanks everybody for the links.

if i were to go into .13''s would i need to get a new nut on the gibson?

the locking nut should be fine with 13''s ? right?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Have you tried Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Ernie's? That's what I use in m' band. Chunky ass bass strings, 10s in the treble strings
Quote by Paddynbob
Have you tried Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Ernie's? That's what I use in m' band. Chunky ass bass strings, 10s in the treble strings

i can't stand any thing less than a .11 in the bottom e. and this would be droptuned. it would be really floppy.

i am thinking 13's are what would be best for what i am doing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I wouldn't completely scoff at the third string being wound. I've been doing it for a while now. I find it much more natural personally. I have no problems bending it. A lot of other people do the same on strat scale guitars, might not be as pleasant on your SG though.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Lots of people say the third string stays in tune and sound better when it's wound. I also read something a while back about how the physics behind the third string are "incorrect," and a wound third string fixes that.
Quote by tas38
I wouldn't completely scoff at the third string being wound. I've been doing it for a while now. I find it much more natural personally. I have no problems bending it. A lot of other people do the same on strat scale guitars, might not be as pleasant on your SG though.

maybe i will do it. i just imagined it feeling odd. worst case its only a few bucks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Wound third string is the best. :P
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
keep in mind, if you like doing lots of bends on the third string, you're going to hate a wound 3rd string. you have to bend it a lot more to achieve the same pitch. say a one step bend at the 7th fret with a wound string will be the equivalent of a two step bend with a plain string. try it on your acoustic guitar.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
keep in mind, if you like doing lots of bends on the third string, you're going to hate a wound 3rd string. you have to bend it a lot more to achieve the same pitch. say a one step bend at the 7th fret with a wound string will be the equivalent of a two step bend with a plain string. try it on your acoustic guitar.

that is why i was leery of a wound 3rd.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by NakedInTheRain

^^
hate wound 3rds. Stayed in tune for about 10 whole step bends maximum the last time I tried. I also found this fairly interesting (Roger Mayer on Hendrix' strings)

"The actual strings we used were not what people would expect. The string gauges would run .010, .013, .015, .026, .032 and .038.

The big difference there is that you're using the .015 for the third, because if you use the .017 for the third, the actual sound of the guitar is very G-heavy. The electrical output of the strings is dependent on the square of the diameter; if you square all the diameters and look at them, you can get much more of an idea about the balance of the guitar.

You should always remember that, because many, many times people use a set of strings that are completely imbalanced and they just don't sound that good. Most people would say a .010 to .013 is the correct jump. And the .015 is much better for the G than a .017. An .015 squares out at .225 and .017 is 289. So you're going to get 28 percent more output just with a two-pound difference in string size."
Quote by 7thString
^^
hate wound 3rds. Stayed in tune for about 10 whole step bends maximum the last time I tried. I also found this fairly interesting (Roger Mayer on Hendrix' strings)

"The actual strings we used were not what people would expect. The string gauges would run .010, .013, .015, .026, .032 and .038.

The big difference there is that you're using the .015 for the third, because if you use the .017 for the third, the actual sound of the guitar is very G-heavy. The electrical output of the strings is dependent on the square of the diameter; if you square all the diameters and look at them, you can get much more of an idea about the balance of the guitar.

You should always remember that, because many, many times people use a set of strings that are completely imbalanced and they just don't sound that good. Most people would say a .010 to .013 is the correct jump. And the .015 is much better for the G than a .017. An .015 squares out at .225 and .017 is 289. So you're going to get 28 percent more output just with a two-pound difference in string size."

very interesting. i don't have a background in physics, i have taken up to calc 2 and one semester of physics, however i have more of a background in business (AA,BA in Econ, MBA), so i wouldn't know that

do you have a reference to that, i would love to see more. i always like learning.

what is the difference in feel though? being the different diameter would the bending feeling change?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by NakedInTheRain

i don't own an acoustic guitar i have six vintage classical guitars that i liked better, sold off both martins acoustics. probably the only one on here who doesn't have or want one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
very interesting. i don't have a background in physics, i have taken up to calc 2 and one semester of physics, however i have more of a background in business (AA,BA in Econ, MBA), so i wouldn't know that

do you have a reference to that, i would love to see more. i always like learning.

what is the difference in feel though? being the different diameter would the bending feeling change?

I'm at the end of a mechanical engineering degree and I still find it fairly confusing, but basically, I'm sure you know already that guitar strings just follow the basic principles of electromagnetism, the motion of the string in the pickup's magnetic field produces electrical energy, and the amount of electrical energy produced by each string is somewhat governed by the momentum of the string during vibration. (And momentum = mass x velocity). ...(velocity of vibration)

Therefore, individual string output is proportional to its mass, and since mass = volume x density, and volume of string = pi*r^2 x length, and since radius is proportional to diameter, then finally it is fair to say that output is somewhat proportional to square of diameter (or radius, not to go against the great Roger Mayer) This doesn't take into account things such as A-weighting (humans perceive sound closer to 1000hz louder ie somewhere near your 14th fret, high e string.) I think the most important thing to take from this is that Roger is saying string mass should increase fairly evenly as pitch decreases, in order to keep the output of each string balanced. Please excuse the rambling. It can be quite interesting attempting to relate science and music.

In terms of feel, IMO the only change with regard to bending is getting used to the difference in tension and adjusting how hard you bend accordingly. This should come semi-naturally as you repulse yourself with overbends... I just went from 12's to 9's and continue to hate my playing

This is the original article http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-roger-mayer-secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup