After countless videos on youtube and research through Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio, I'm still unsure I've found a pickup that makes me happy. The kind of tones I really like are the very clean and articulate tones reminiscent of David Gilmore, Steve Vai, Brendon Small to some Paul Gilbert and Buckethead stuff. Over all, I'd like pickups that can handle anything from jazz, blues and classic rock to more modern metal and stuff. For metal, I'd like a good crisp sound without buzz or that fuzzy sound, I want every note and chord to sing out.

I really like that dimarzio sound, so that SHOULD narrow things down a bit. I generally just don't like squealy, noisy and "messy" or "muddy" sounding pickups, but at the same time, I don't like extra extra bright sounds. I really seem to prefer single coils, but at the moment I'm working on a humbucker equipped guitar.

Some pickups I've enjoyed:

Dimarzio Evolution
Dimarzio Evo 2
Duncan Alnico 2 Slash neck pickup
Dimarzio Tone Zone
Dimarzio Breed
Dimarzio Paf 36

However, they all ran into some problems, over time. The Evos seem to have the harsh fizzy sound a bit, if they were "smoother", I'd love them, Evo2 goes the same. The Slash Duncan pickup has a nice sound for a neck pickup, but I've yet to really find a youtube video matching SD's obviously misleading video for the neck pickup. It sounded great, but eh, didn't get a full scope of the range of sounds it could do. Youtube videos just made it have that typical classic rock fizzy, squealy sound I just don't like and keep mentioning it. The Tone Zone sounded good 50% of the time and just bleh the other 50%. Breed was a bit too dull and the PAF 36 really only sounded good on the Dimarzio website.

I would like EMGs if it weren't for their price and most importantly; compression. I DESPISE the sound of a clean guitar with compression, so anything besides metal sounds terrible with EMGs, at least in my opinion. Ignoring stuff like bareknuckles because they've seemed quite expensive, in my experience. I like the price point Dimarzio and SD offer at like $75 an average price per pickup, any more and I'd rather just invest in a strat.

Any recommendations?
what amp are you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
From what you listed, Dimarzio Breed. EVO's tend to be bright, tone zone's tend to be muddy. I would also look at the Duncan Custom custom (Sh-11).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Dec 3, 2013,
Why not just get Steve Vai's Gravity Storm set or John Petrucci's Illuminator set, both from DiMarzio?
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
paf pros, if you're willing to use a boost for heavier stuff, and are willing to faff about with their heights to make the neck match the bridge in output. vai used paf pros on his earlier stuff, gilbert has used them, they're pretty clear-sounding so work well for shred, they're also pretty low output so can handle the lighter stuff, but they're also pretty tight so work well for heavier stuff with a boost. also the low output means they're not very compressed at all (another reason why you really need a boost for metal).

as jenny says, though, knowing what amp you have would help a lot. but assuming it's suitable... yeah, paf pros. they are fairly bright, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dazzl1113
Why not just get Steve Vai's Gravity Storm set or John Petrucci's Illuminator set, both from DiMarzio?

I kinda liked the Gravity Storms, but they were too bassy

Quote by Maidenheadsteve
From what you listed, Dimarzio Breed. EVO's tend to be bright, tone zone's tend to be muddy. I would also look at the Duncan Custom custom (Sh-11).

Breeds have that same kinda harshness I mentioned earlier, at least from what I've seen. If I remember right, bit too much bass, too.

Quote by Dave_Mc
paf pros, if you're willing to use a boost for heavier stuff, and are willing to faff about with their heights to make the neck match the bridge in output. vai used paf pros on his earlier stuff, gilbert has used them, they're pretty clear-sounding so work well for shred, they're also pretty low output so can handle the lighter stuff, but they're also pretty tight so work well for heavier stuff with a boost. also the low output means they're not very compressed at all (another reason why you really need a boost for metal).

as jenny says, though, knowing what amp you have would help a lot. but assuming it's suitable... yeah, paf pros. they are fairly bright, though.

I actually just came across these before I went to bed and was kinda digging them, gonna check em out further!

breeds might be a good call too if the paf pros are too bright, as maidenhead steve suggested.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

breeds might be a good call too if the paf pros are too bright, as maidenhead steve suggested.

Well, I DO like bright sounding pickups, but not HARSH brights. Like, I dig the sound of humbuckers from hell, but they don't seem very versatile.

I also forgot to mention that I use an epiphone, so I have a shorter scale length than usual, which is part of the problem; it gets muddy while playing low notes. I HATE muddy sounds, I want the low notes to be clean and articulate, but still have a nice sound for chugging type stuff.

Also, I'm not mentioning the amp because I want pickups that can handle any amp. I mainly play through digital stuff, but still.
Last edited by Velcro Man at Dec 3, 2013,
Quote by Velcro Man

Also, I'm not mentioning the amp because I want pickups that can handle any amp. I mainly play through digital stuff, but still.

im sure suggestions will help. but they wont be spot on specifically what you expect them to be. ( in other words,
you may be disappointed) if you haven't tried them thru a similar amp as your usual.

i'm just going by my own experience here, because you do seem so specific with your tonal nuances. and pickups are such a small part of tone compared to amp, imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

i am really liking the crunch lab for bridge.

i have three prestige ibanez's

1570 - stock pickups
2570EVSL - Crunch Lab/Liquifire
3550MZ - Tone Zone/Air Norton (stock)

i really like the crunch lab. i am not totally sure between the LQ and Air Norton, at first i liked the LQ a lot more than the Air Norton, but it just really depends on what amp you are on.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Velcro Man
Well, I DO like bright sounding pickups, but not HARSH brights. Like, I dig the sound of humbuckers from hell, but they don't seem very versatile.

I also forgot to mention that I use an epiphone, so I have a shorter scale length than usual, which is part of the problem; it gets muddy while playing low notes. I HATE muddy sounds, I want the low notes to be clean and articulate, but still have a nice sound for chugging type stuff.

you're getting well within personal preference territory there what you think of as bright I might think of as harsh and vice-versa. I also haven't tried a paf pro on a shorter scale length.

the best i can really say is- for what you're saying, i'd personally strongly consider paf pros. But that's not to say that there might not be something better which I'm not familiar with, or that you would agree with my choice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^make a decision!!

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jj1565
what amp are you using?

+3.1415 tell us you gear and we will help you better.

or not flip a coin and buy whatever you want and not bother us as you seem to know what you want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/