Page 1 of 2
Hey pit.

I know I haven't done a whole lot for this forum too recently, but could you please fill out this survey? It's only 10 questions and your views are all really valuable.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MWWVM23

If you're not sure what a word clock actually looks like, here's a pic to give you a basic idea. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Thanks very much to everyone who contributes.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Done
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
done mate
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I answered no for number six but then number ten has no "0" answer, so I couldn't do this. Sorry.
Done. To give you a bit more of my thoughts:

I like the idea of a word clock. Most are ugly, IMO. I don't like the one you spoiler'd either. If you could find a way to make a minimalist word clock that's more visually striking, you'd probably do better.

I would never want to buy something so expensive if it wasn't aesthetically appealing and artistic looking rather than just a weird clock.

I don't have many suggestions. Maybe make it with a nice wood with a nice grain and properly lacquer it.. Like a nice guitar wood.. Walnut, burl maple, cocobolo, rosewood, ebony, etc. Or maybe make it really futuristic and sleek looking for all the apple nerds. But don't half-ass it. Make it a specific design that will REALLY appeal to certain demographics, rather than a more general design that is more likely to have a smaller, but more universal appeal. Find your niche.
Done and shared
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Can someone tell NUMA that I'm not talking to her. And stop calling me Cha.

Quote by bassofthe
Yes Numa. Move to Norway and get me.

Quote by necrosis1193
We're all waifus now
Did the survey without looking at that clock. I like it more than I thought I would upon actually seeing it
those are really cool
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Answered. Personally I think it is nothing more than a novelty/man cave show off item. Once again that is personally. I do like how you did include the bit about assisting people with dyslexia and all that and that makes sense. Product just isn't for me though.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
I can see it as an aid for people who have trouble reading numbers, but why couldn't you make it digital, like an app?

That example clock seems really difficult to read, especially in the wrong lighting.

Clocks in general are becoming obsolete.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Clocks in general are becoming obsolete.

Sun dials making a come back? Or hourglasses? Whatever your chronograph of choice, you do need something to keep track of time.
Quote by dawgeth321
Sun dials making a come back? Or hourglasses? Whatever your chronograph of choice, you do need something to keep track of time.

I meant clocks as in devices solely for the purpose of telling time. Most cell phones/computers/TVs have some sort of time telling feature readily available.

An app that says something like, "Hey, it's three minutes after five in the evening, sucka!" could be useful.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
The word choice for the clock are ehhh. Id hate this thing if I used public transportation tbh. Cool concept though. Oh and done
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by progdude93
Done. To give you a bit more of my thoughts:

I like the idea of a word clock. Most are ugly, IMO. I don't like the one you spoiler'd either. If you could find a way to make a minimalist word clock that's more visually striking, you'd probably do better.

That's quite interesting because that is exactly what I am planning to do. I've got several ideas in mind, but the one that I think could appeal the most is having the words scrambled amidst random letters so that it resembles a crossword.

Another idea is using one-way glass to make the words that are not lit to be invisible, so only the lit words can be seen.

I've already built a couple of prototypes of each design idea to promote my portfolio, but I haven't taken pictures of them yet. The camera i've got is crap
I would never want to buy something so expensive if it wasn't aesthetically appealing and artistic looking rather than just a weird clock.

I don't have many suggestions. Maybe make it with a nice wood with a nice grain and properly lacquer it.. Like a nice guitar wood.. Walnut, burl maple, cocobolo, rosewood, ebony, etc. Or maybe make it really futuristic and sleek looking for all the apple nerds. But don't half-ass it. Make it a specific design that will REALLY appeal to certain demographics, rather than a more general design that is more likely to have a smaller, but more universal appeal. Find your niche.

That's what I was thinking, it would raise the price significantly. And the biggest advantage I have over other competitors is that after pricing the components to make one, I could sell them at retail for around £150-200 and still have a decent profit margin. A lof of the products that look very similar to what I have built prototypes of sell online for over 3 times that.

I think that's a pretty massive advantage, but perhaps another model that could be made at around the same price of the competitors, but made from much finer materials like as you said, out of something like Rosewood, Mahogany, curly maple etc. That does seem like an excellent strategy to take given the niche market I'm going for.

Thanks for your feedback prog. Its very informative.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 3, 2013,
Why the fuck is that clock so disorganized? Its kinda cool, but that one in the picture at least seems like it would be a bitch to tell time off of quickly, especially if the lighting made it hard to see what was lit up. I feel like you aren't helping people with disabilities much if you make the clock confusing just so it looks cool. It works better as a novelty piece then, but I think if you're actually concerned about helping people with special needs, it should be more organized and orderly.

Now that I think about it a mechanical one could be cool, like the old digital clocks with the numbers that flipped, but with words instead. That would be a million times easier to read.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

It is seriously driving me crazy that three and two are switched on the clock in the picture. the rest of the numbers are in order, but they had to go and switch the two and three for no reason. also, there is a lack of am or pm on that clock.

Quote by Soccerguy
I read that as "World Clock" like five times before I realized it was "word clock."

lol i didn't even notice that until i saw you mentioned that
Nerdo-sez-bo wrote:

Bon Jovi can just **** off really.

Life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liquor store, 40 oz to Freedom
I don't have time for this.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
looks cool and i did the survey but i wouldnt spend more than $30 on a clock.
pinga
Alright, now this is some freaky coincidence shit. I read this and looked at the clock you posted and did the survey, then hop over to tumblr and this is the first post I see:

a watch with that design. not posted by anyone I know from UG. this is the first time I've seen or heard of a word clock in my entire life. What are the odds?

Also done.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
" In the past 6 months, which of the following hobbies have you participated in? (Please select all that apply.)"

What if I check all of them as well as "none of these"

I won't but what if u no
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Shit questionnaire, I closed the window at:

3. What is your ethnicity? (Please select all that apply.)

What is your ethnicity? (Please select all that apply.) American Indian or Alaskan Native

Asian or Pacific Islander

Black or African American

Hispanic or Latino

White / Caucasian

Prefer not to answer

I'm neither of them, so what? I'm meant to put "prefer not to answer"?

**** you
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's quite interesting because that is exactly what I am planning to do. I've got several ideas in mind, but the one that I think could appeal the most is having the words scrambled amidst random letters so that it resembles a crossword.

Another idea is using one-way glass to make the words that are not lit to be invisible, so only the lit words can be seen.

I've already built a couple of prototypes of each design idea to promote my portfolio, but I haven't taken pictures of them yet. The camera i've got is crap

Send me what you have when you get around to it, it sounds interesting. I'd definitely be down to give you some in-depth feedback if you want.

I like your ideas, because one of the things I hate about the clock is seeing all the other times not lit up. The scramble is cool, so is the one way.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's what I was thinking, it would raise the price significantly. And the biggest advantage I have over other competitors is that after pricing the components to make one, I could sell them at retail for around £150-200 and still have a decent profit margin. A lof of the products that look very similar to what I have built prototypes of sell online for over 3 times that.

I think that's a pretty massive advantage, but perhaps another model that could be made at around the same price of the competitors, but made from much finer materials like as you said, out of something like Rosewood, Mahogany, curly maple etc. That does seem like an excellent strategy to take given the niche market I'm going for.

Thanks for your feedback prog. Its very informative.

You can only justify a high cost if it's ****ing gorgeous. Straight up. However, you'll also have much more success in selling a high-ticket item if you market it to a niche. Making a generally appealing but expensive item will only work if there aren't much cheaper alternatives. Like, a Toyota Camry is a lot of money, and it's not a niche type product, but cars in general cost thousands of dollars.

If you want to make something expensive, you have to make something that will cause a select group of people will go, "Damn, it's like this shit was MADE for me."

I'd suggest figuring out the general design and maybe make some interchangeable faceplates. That way you could do different types of wood, you could even do holiday and season themed ones so that people could change them depending on time of year. You could also have other, nonseasonal different themes, and if they're swappable, once people have the clock itself, they'll probably want to change up the faceplate every now and then.
Quote by progdude93
Send me what you have when you get around to it, it sounds interesting. I'd definitely be down to give you some in-depth feedback if you want.

I like your ideas, because one of the things I hate about the clock is seeing all the other times not lit up. The scramble is cool, so is the one way.

I manage to get in contact with my dad and he happens to have a photographs of a couple of prototypes. We have about 7 different protos, but most of them are variations of the same thing, just little things like different colours of lights, such as green and orange or just plain white. Whether or not the words are scrambled, a couple of different frame sizes etc.

But these photos will give you some idea of how they look, regarding the word scramble and the 2-way mirror glass ones. They're all made by hand and they're all manufactured using an electronics module that is proprietary that my father has designed and built himself. We're also considering selling these clocks in a kit form.

The blue square is an LCD display which displays the time. We put it there just to see how it looked and how it adds to the overall complexity of assembling the clocks electronics. It was just an experiment.

(sorry about the MASSIVE resolution, just zoom out on your browser to get a full look at them.)

The clocks are all set using a pair of small buttons in the bottom of the frame.

And to prove to you that we didn't just buy these off the shelf and that they are legit prototypes, this is on the back of the mirror glass one.

You can only justify a high cost if it's ****ing gorgeous. Straight up. However, you'll also have much more success in selling a high-ticket item if you market it to a niche. Making a generally appealing but expensive item will only work if there aren't much cheaper alternatives. Like, a Toyota Camry is a lot of money, and it's not a niche type product, but cars in general cost thousands of dollars.

If you want to make something expensive, you have to make something that will cause a select group of people will go, "Damn, it's like this shit was MADE for me."

I'd suggest figuring out the general design and maybe make some interchangeable faceplates. That way you could do different types of wood, you could even do holiday and season themed ones so that people could change them depending on time of year. You could also have other, nonseasonal different themes, and if they're swappable, once people have the clock itself, they'll probably want to change up the faceplate every now and then.

THat would be an interesting idea and standardizing the parts as much as possible would make the materials costs far less. It's just that figured wood is really pricey, but it's doable. I really dig that idea.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 3, 2013,
figured wood isn't really that expensive. obviously AAAAA flamed maple will be ridiculous, but there are plenty of nice cheap woods.

i'm just a sucker for figured wood though. i guess that's always why i've preferring veiny, throbbing cocks.

edit:

anyway, if you run with my ideas (of course you will, they're great), I'll expect a cut. Nothing too big, just ~15%
pfft...
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Page 1 of 2