hello,
is the space between the frets on a 24 fret electric guitar the same as a 22 fret electric guitar and the same as an 18 fret acoustic guitar, but the neck is just shorter?
What about the space between the strings on an electric vs acoustic? I only have an electric
The space between the frets depends on the scale length, not the amount of frets. There's the "Gibson scale" (24.75 inch) and the "Fender scale" (25.5 inch). They are the most commonly used. I'm not sure what's the normal scale length of an acoustic.

I'm not sure about the space between strings but they are pretty much the same. I would guess acoustics have a bit more space between the strings than electrics.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The guitar's scale length determines the spacing between the frets. A longer scale length gives you a larger space. Jazz and Blues players like a shorter scale length. The number of frets on a guitar is a design element. Acoustic guitars usually have fewer frets, while an electric with a deep cutaway has more fret access, so you can have more frets above the body.
Nut width and string spacing can vary a little. The neck profile, both on the fretboard and the back of the neck is what varies the most between guitars. This also makes the playing charicteristics of the guitar. How it feels and plays.
what they said

also the last 2 frets on a 24 fretter will be slightly closer, since frets get closer together as you go up the neck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jayerrr
hello,
is the space between the frets on a 24 fret electric guitar the same as a 22 fret electric guitar and the same as an 18 fret acoustic guitar, but the neck is just shorter?
c

What they all said <G>.

Here's an interesting example: On a Gibson SG, you'll find that there have been 22, 23 and 24-fret fretboards down through history. The scale is exactly the same on all of those guitars, the neck is exactly the same length and the distance from the bridge to the nut is the same (that's the scale). Back when the SG was new, they found that the neck joint was a bit weak, so they moved the neck pickup away from the neck to allow a bit more of the body "meat" to strengthen the joint. Nothing changed but the location of the neck pickup. But that left a space between the end of the 22 fret fretboard and the neck pickup. Tony Iommi (and Frank Zappa and others) discovered that they could tack two extra frets into that space and have a full 2-octave neck. All of the other frets are exactly the same size; you just get the two extra frets.
^ You know, this is something I've been wondering for a while. You know the way people always say they hate 24 fret guitars (normally superstrats or more modern guitars) because of how it makes the neck pickup sound horrible?

Have you ever heard anyone say that an SG's neck pickup sounds horrible? I haven't.

If you ask me it's another example of guitarists rating tone by their eyes and not their ears. A lot of guitarists are just biased against superstrats, if you ask me.

(I actually think it does make a difference but I don't think 24 fret neck pickups sound as bad as a lot of people claim, and actually for more modern tones I probably prefer their position with 24 frets.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always figured superstrat neck pickups weren't great because most of the time they're a higher output pickup in a basswood or alder body, and that coupled with being closer to the bridge made them sound thin and wimpy.

SG neck pickups, at least stock, are usually warmer and lower output, plus they're in a rather darker guitar with some bass and body to the tone.
i'd have said an SG (stock) was warm to a fault

also the whole higher output pickup thing isn't really fair, i mean of course if you don't like high output pickups you won't like high output pickups in a 24 fretter. but it's the pickup more than the 24 frets, surely?

I think it kinda boils down to using what's suitable... i wouldn't use a floydy superstrat for blues but i wouldn't use a stock sg for shred either (as a first choice).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 4, 2013,
I just mean, high output pickup plus closer to the bridge plus colder/thinner sounding wood is a losing combination. Fair or not, that's part of the equation.

I didn't mean to argue the point that it's not the number of frets that causes the problem. It's only a problem if you combine it with a number of other factors.
No worries. Maybe I am arguing that black's white. I just always get the feeling that shreddy superstrats are unfairly maligned, when they're great (IMO) for certain types of music.

Also, is a high output neck pickup always part of the equation, though? I mean plenty of Ibanezes have fairly low output neck pickups, I think? Most of the higher end prestiges have paf pros or air nortons, which aren't exactly underwound paf-output, but I wouldn't call them high output either. Most Jacksons and ESPs have Jazzes or '59s in the neck.

Plus I mean it's not as big a problem if you're using them for the type of music they're aimed at- fairly high gain, in other words.

I don't like high output neck pickups either fwiw I pretty much like paf output neck pickups (even for higher gain stuff).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?