About a week ago my tubes died. What ihave right now are jj6L6s ehx 12ax7's and 12at7. EQ on the amp is about 6 high 9 mid and 1 low. It has the perfect crisp crunch with booming bass. But since my tubes blew I've been looking more for a tone similiar to this,With maybe a bit more of a djent grind, if you know what I'm talking about. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Gyf30kAWY) any suggestions on what tubes for that. I'm looking to spend 150$ for power tubes and 20$ each for preamp. I know in most cases it would be a personal preference but with me not knowing which tubes create which tone, I'm asking you all for tips in the right direction
Guitars:
Charvel DS-1FR
Rig:
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
guitar>tuner>808>noise decimator.
LOOP-EQ>sonic stomp>phase90>time machine.
Which tubes blew? I'd keep JJ's in the power section they are legit. If something in your power section burned out I would check for a blown screen grid resistor. It's a cheap/easy fix but not uncommon for one to go out if a tube burns up.

I've never liked EH 12AX7's... a little too sharp on the high end for me.

I can't open your vid here at work but my favorite tubes in all of my amps (both in guitar and bass) always tend to be something like:

V1: Tung Sol RI
The Rest: Mix of JJ EC 83 / JJ EC 803 (depending what sounds best where)

I love throwing in a JJ EC 803. It can add a dash of "3D" to your tone (in like a V2 or V3 position) where straight JJ EC 83's keep things focused but less dimensional IMO.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 3, 2013,
new Mullard 12ax7's are great in V1 for high gain, I'd go JJ ecc83/803 for the rest and JJ KT66 if they will fit in the power section.

Tubes will help fine-tune your amp, but if your amp can't get real close how it was, you won't get there with a tube swap. That clip sounded very 5150-ish

I've never played a Madison, but I have heard they are a very love 'em or hate 'em kind of a sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd just go with JJ's. You may find that you will have to back off the mids a little compared to what you are used to and perhaps push up the highs a little.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ive talked to one other person about which tubes to get, and he told me blue electric preamps tubes and russian gold series groove tube. my current sound isnt bad i just dont like having my low end at 1 being boomy and 10 being house shaking, and only slight middle change from 1-10. i was wondering your opinions on the groove tubes vs. jj's. anyone know if theres a 3 pack of 12ax7s that would fit my needs?
thanks
Guitars:
Charvel DS-1FR
Rig:
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
I second Rob's suggestion of the Mullards. I just got some in awhile back and they sound great. They are not boomy bass wise and they aren't over board in the treble like tung sols.
Quote by PeaveyBOS429
Ive talked to one other person about which tubes to get, and he told me blue electric preamps tubes and russian gold series groove tube. my current sound isnt bad i just dont like having my low end at 1 being boomy and 10 being house shaking, and only slight middle change from 1-10. i was wondering your opinions on the groove tubes vs. jj's. anyone know if theres a 3 pack of 12ax7s that would fit my needs?
thanks

Groove Tubes does not make tubes, it only rebrands them. So you are probably getting JJ or Tung Sol at a higher price

JJ also tend to be a little darker and bass heavy compared to most new tubes.

I still stick by my statement of using a new Mullard 12ax7 in V1 and JJ ecc83 in the rest for the pre amp. I have never heard of blue electric tubes at all (nothing on google either)

It also could be more the design of the amp's circuit as to why it gets boomy and less to do with the tubes. Tubes only fine tune the sound
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'll check out the Mullard preamps. I have a blue voodo cab with celestion v30's.
Guitars:
Charvel DS-1FR
Rig:
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
I'm getting JJ's 6L6's and a Mullard 12AX7 and 2 JJ 12AX7's. I still need a 12AT7, any recomendations? See sig for pedals in loop if it matters.
Thanks.
Guitars:
Charvel DS-1FR
Rig:
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
NOS 12AT7's often sell for quite reasonable prices, unlike 12AX7's. Seeing you are in the US try to find a Phillips, RCA or GE - in that order of preference.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification