Greetings!

Title is pretty self explanatory - my amp (8 year old MG15cdr) has literally just blown up and died on me. I know that the "MG" series is a bit of a joke around these parts, but it was bought for me for Christmas as the first amp I'd ever owned, and in all honesty has done exactly what I wanted of it ever since, so no laughing!

Having just moved house I'm COMPLETELY skint, jobless and I'm hoping I can gather up some pennies (literally) for christmas and find a cheap replacement. Here's where I need your help!

I don't play with anyone else (other than my ipod) and I do have neighbours, so not being too loud would be wonderful.

I play a little bit of everything, but decent gain sounds are more important to me than cleans. Think mostly The Darkness, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, Metallica, Foo Fighters etc. with a little bit of BFMV, RHCP and blues thrown in every now and again.

I'm talking literally £100. Amp head only is fine, I have a basic 2x12 cab I can stick it through for now. Not too fussed about effects, I have a digital multi effects pedal for the fancy stuff, but I do prefer tube amp gain to the effects my pedal gives.

Couple I like so far:

Redwood T-5H
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/redwood-t-5h-guitar-amplifier-head
5 watt Tube head. Very few reviews, but sounded pretty good in a youtube video I watched! I don't live anywhere near a Dawsons, so if anyone has tested this I'd love to hear about it! (Pretty sure there's a Bugera and a SubZero branded version out there too that look identical to this - are they the same just with different stickers?).

Orange Micro Terror
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/orange-micro-terror
Slightly more expensive, 20w, and I think it's valve preamp and the rest solid state? any good?

Combo amps are also an option - I'd consider another MG, but I've also thought about:
Vox Valvetronix 20+?
Fender Mustang?
Line 6 Spider?
Peavey Vypyr?

Would I be better off buying a modelling amp instead of a tube head at this price range?

I'm thinking basic tube head, and adding some stomp boxes slowly somewhere down the line when I find a job to fill the gaps... Am I being stupid?

Ideally I think I'd go for a Jet City JCA22h, but I can't afford anywhere near that at the moment and I need something to keep me going!

Thanks for reading (Whoa I wrote a lot...)

Gee
Grab a used Mustang or a Vypyr.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Since you already have a cab, the Micro Terror wouldn't be a bad choice. I hear good things about them.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
I love my mustang 4 series 2 , but its way too big for me , but it was a gift so I wont complain too much=) The mustang 3 looks pretty cool and a better size , I know on my 4 u can plug ur ipod straight in and play along to it , I assume u can on the three too . im told the series ones aren't as good as the series two but wouldn't really know , good luck=)
Micro Terror should be good, although I'd think you might need a pedal (maybe a Joyo Vintage Overdrive or Digitech Bad Monkey? Can be had pretty cheaply) to boost it for your higher gain stuff. Also look into a Peavey Vypyr or a Yamaha THR10X, both pretty highly regarded at low budgets, and you can get some great tones.
Quote by ibanez1997
Micro Terror should be good, although I'd think you might need a pedal (maybe a Joyo Vintage Overdrive or Digitech Bad Monkey? Can be had pretty cheaply) to boost it for your higher gain stuff. Also look into a Peavey Vypyr or a Yamaha THR10X, both pretty highly regarded at low budgets, and you can get some great tones.

+1

Get this if you go with micro terror.redwood: http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_vintage_overdrive.htm

I've played with a Vypyr, they're versatile but a pain to use, if it was me i'd go for micro terror or the redwood

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Last edited by blything09 at Dec 3, 2013,
Thanks for all the replies!

I like the look of all those pedals, although I've got some old Boss overdrive thing that probably still works somewhere... just have to find it now... If my OD pedal still works, I'll probably go chasing a reverb pedal first - any suggestions?

Micro terror does indeed seem like a good option, but the lack of things to twist and poke make the Redwood seem preferable. I'm not sure if the micro terror (20w) will be too loud, whereas the Redwood is only 5w? The Redwood is also physically bigger and everyone knows that size matters...

Has anyone had any experience of the Redwood T-H5?

Gee