Yeah people buy guitars based on playability, but do you go for looks first then playability? Or vice versa? I would think looks are important. To me they are anyway. I don't want to play something if I don't like the way it looks. So I'm looking for a second guitar and I'm probably just rambling, but the shape and look affects how it's played, right?
Last edited by A3ON at Dec 3, 2013,
So I'm not weird for refusing to buy certain models? It's like cars and trucks to me. No one wants to drive around in their least favorite make. I don't mean to sound like a kid or anything but someone gave me this huge lecture on how I shouldn't make purchases based on looks. This person just bugged the bejeezes out of me. Seriously. I wasn't making it based solely on looks. But whatever.

I think I posted this in the wrong place :/
"We eat first with our eyes," so the saying goes. Man is a visual animal, that aesthetic matters to us.

The guitar that attracts us over with its good looks may not be the best n the wall, but it is the one that calls, siren-like. Only after the visuals have done their work do our other senses take turns evaluating the gear.

So, no, you're not weird for disliking certain axes just on looks alone. Hell's Bells- I'm with JustRooster on this one- I won't even try a Dano. ANY Dano.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
There are too many great guitars out there to settle for one with aesthetics that bother you. There are so many iterations of similar themes that you can afford to be picky at nearly every price point, body shape, and tonal style.
Opinions on the esp ltd f-50fr? I played a guitar with a similar body and loved it. But that one was way out of my price range. I have an esp ltd m-50 now and like it, but I've always wanted one from the f series...I'm trying to find one that I can actually try before I buy. No luck so far.

Edit: I know it has a Floyd rose but I finally found an instructor who explained to me how exactly they work.
Last edited by A3ON at Dec 3, 2013,
The LTD -50 series aren't the best guitars, especially ones with double-locking trems. If you already have an mh-50 then I would save up for an f-350 or an mh-350. There is such a huge difference in quality and playability between the -50 and the -350 series.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
I have a Viper 401, my buddy has a Viper 50. The difference is ridiculous, it's like night and day. The 50 just feels cheap, the 400 feels very solid.
Quote by J_W
I have a Viper 401, my buddy has a Viper 50. The difference is ridiculous, it's like night and day. The 50 just feels cheap, the 400 feels very solid.

The 400 and 401 series are really great. My first LTD was an EC-401 and I played the thing to death. Now that I have an ESP Standard Eclipse I can hardly play any of my other guitars, lol.
Guitars:
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
If the f-350 is anything like the mf-207, I think I'll like it just fine. It's out of my price range though. That's why I'm thinking about the f-50. Used, they're like...$100 give or take. If you read my previous thread, I couldn't exactly afford the mf-207.
Quote by A3ON
If the f-350 is anything like the mf-207, I think I'll like it just fine. It's out of my price range though. That's why I'm thinking about the f-50. Used, they're like...$100 give or take. If you read my previous thread, I couldn't exactly afford the mf-207.

Can you save up for it, though? The f-50 will not sound very different or play any better than your mh-50, so I fail to see why you would buy it.
Guitars:
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
It's the playability that sells me, but you look for potential first. I might have skipped over a few dozen gems in my life because I didn't like the way the guitar looked. That being said, if I somehow managed to try one and it was the best thing since sliced bread, I'd deal with a little ugliness.

I don't have crazy standards for guitars though, I've just noticed that as I've gotten older, I've fallen in love with archtops.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I make a point of trying out different guitars regardless of looks just to see what they are about. do I have preferences sure but that is natural. playability and sound are what sell me in the end though. rather have an ugly guitar that plays and sounds awesome than an awesome looking guitar that is just ok otherwise. music is in the ears not the eyes. of course I'd prefer a guitar that appeals to me on a visual level but i'll go for the better sounding one every time.
I pretty much go for looks first. I'm pretty basic, there are some things I like a guitar to have but nothing I feel it needs. The only guitars I actually tried before I bought were ones I bought off other people. I don't see the point I can't judge a guitar until it's set up how I like it.

As far as certain brands go I was reading a Chris Broderick interview and someone asked why he picked Jackson and he basically said "All manufacturers are capable of making excellent guitars but I picked Jackson because they let me bring in my own ideas" I respected his honesty.

Personally I'd never pay for an ESP or LTD. Out of principle, not because I think their stuff isn't as good as other brands.
theres weird and their is but ugly.

basically anything from BC rich needs to be lit on fire. i might rather jut not play.

something weird like some ZZ top looking think, Bo Diddly square thing, well depends. how does it sound and play? how do i feel when i play it?

i just bought a custom carvin. technically i could have bought a 1100-1200 model that was setup the same but i invested another couple hundred in upgraded wood because i wanted teh appeal and to be proud in basically what i consider to be art. very few guitars have wood like this carvin.

but it has both. it plays REALLY well, and WAY better than my last guitar. ultimately thats why its going to stay around. if i didnt like it? meh. might not get played as much. but it would be cool.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^ BC Rich Mockingbird's are pretty badass IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by A3ON
Yeah people buy guitars based on playability, but do you go for looks first then playability? Or vice versa? I would think looks are important. To me they are anyway. I don't want to play something if I don't like the way it looks. So I'm looking for a second guitar and I'm probably just rambling, but the shape and look affects how it's played, right?

Um...no. I prefer something that looks decent, but past that, I'm not all that picky about finishes or body shapes.

For example, I love LP-style guitars, don't care much for ordinary strats or teles and am sort of ambivalent about superstrats (I have quite a few, though). When I was recently looking at a Variax, I really wanted to love the JTV-59, which is a very well put together LP-shaped guitar. In the end, however, I bought the JTV-89F, which has the neck profile and radius that I prefer, had the trem I wanted, had 24 jumbo frets (which I preferred to 22 medium frets) and enormous upper fret access (compared to some slightly uncomfortable upper fret access). And it has a super strat body (meh).

Playability won.
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
The 400 and 401 series are really great. My first LTD was an EC-401 and I played the thing to death. Now that I have an ESP Standard Eclipse I can hardly play any of my other guitars, lol.

Same thing happened when I bought my Ibanez RGR1570 Prestige. I'm now selling the Viper because I never play it anymore. It's a great guitar though, just not up to the level of the Prestige.
For me its this.
Body Wood, Looks, Neck Feel, Bridge Type, Overall Playability. I dont care if the fretwork is bad anymore since I can just fix that myself.
Quote by Roc8995
There are too many great guitars out there to settle for one with aesthetics that bother you. There are so many iterations of similar themes that you can afford to be picky at nearly every price point, body shape, and tonal style.

Agreed

That being said, sometimes if i'm after a certain spec (say, a certain type of pickups or hardware or woods or whatever), that'll influence the cosmetics I'm after. Or if I try an exceptionally good-playing and -sounding guitar whose looks I wasn't that keen on before I'd tried it, I sometimes find myself coming round to the looks.

So, yeah, cosmetics are definitely very important, but it's not quite as simple as that (for me, anyway) either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Playability is most important, but I won't pick up a guitar to see how the playability is unless I like the look of it. So, looks are very important in that regard as well.

The exception is if I've heard good things about a guitar's playability; in the past I haven't liked the look of RG's but I'd heard good things about playability so I'd pick them up.
Quote by J_W
I would never buy a guitar I hate to look at.

Pretty much this. To be honest though there isn't many guitars I find ugly. I do think pretty much any BC Rich type of guitar is absolutely hideous to my eyes. I wont think bad about anyone that plays one but you'll never see me with one. But generally, most guitars kinda look the same to me. I usually only buy strat/superstrat and Les Paul Body styles.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I love the way Fenders look. I love the headstocks, the contours, the cutaways, everything.

I love all of their vintage reissues, their Select series, the different types of paint they use, the Custom Shop stuff, the colours, the sparkles, all of it. And the pickups and amps, I've owned 4 Fender amps and have gone through loads of pickups.

People will tell you that G&L make the same quality guitar for cheaper, and that may be true, but they don't look as nice to me, so I pay more. But if they sounded like shit I wouldn't buy it, and they don't, quite the opposite.
I'd rather get a good lay thousands of times a month with an average looking girl, than getting laid once in a year with a hot girl that gets drooled over and touched by other guys.

My opinion though.

I played some Custom Shop I'm a Materialistic Nutjob Gibson and it sucked horsedicks.
I played a Chinese Modern Player Tele and was sold imediately.

I also own a Dano.
Lots of guitarists praised it because of its looks/sound and price/quality ratio.

I choose practical objects/things over aesthetics, although, a lot of practical objects do have a good/unique look.

Screw you.
Last edited by AmirT at Dec 7, 2013,