Page 1 of 4
I feel like all hope is lost. Bar gigs go nowhere. Birthday party jams dont do anything. Releasing music on band camp and soundcloud and spamming it doesnt do anything. Community college jazz band didnt do anything. What does it take? Anyone having any success?
You and countless other musicians in this world share the same agony.

^ basically
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
There are steps though. Musicians that get paid to play music took steps. What are they? How do all those hard core bands make it playing the same songs as eachother?
Quote by Amuro Jay
"How do you plan on making money with guitar?"

simple, i don't

This'un.
That wouldnt be making money. I feel lik eyou guys could give more serious posts, i mean, you benefit from this, assuming you play guitar and havent made it big yet.
By thinking for 2 seconds and realizing you're not going to make money from it
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Get a job at a music or media company like Universal or whatever in local to you. Network and make connections. Say "hey check out my shit" and have them listen.
There's a Universal Music across the street from where my parents work so I guess that would be a pretty neat place to work.
We benefit from it by enhancing our knowledge and skills and learning how to play our fav songs, showing our friends, actually playing something cool on our own once in a while and telling people we know that we can play an instrument.

and then said people say that they're great violinists and trumpet-ists and want to have an intellectual convo with you about music, but fail to because all you can is that tabs are everything you know, along with a couple of scales you made up on the spot, and then tell them you just doit once in a while.

Thats how some us benefit
Quote by dudester410
We benefit from it by enhancing our knowledge and skills and learning how to play our fav songs, showing our friends, actually playing something cool on our own once in a while and telling people we know that we can play an instrument.

and then said people say that they're great violinists and trumpet-ists and want to have an intellectual convo with you about music, but fail to because all you can is that tabs are everything you know, along with a couple of scales you made up on the spot, and then tell them you just doit once in a while.

Such post
Much knowledge
Very clear message
wow
Quote by dudester410

A person like this wouldnt be making a thread about trying to make it as a musician. I feel like the biggest thing i can do is form a band and bug the shit out of everyone. But nobody is good enough and my age. I probably know all the musicians in my town. Nobody is on the same page. Nobody is trying.
you can barely make money off of your guitar. But you could make money off of music O_o
Quote by Amuro Jay
"How do you plan on making money with guitar?"

simple, i don't

this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
hahahahahahaha

making money with real instruments. it's like you guys are fucking morons.

yeah, having to hire a van and pay petrol money to get all over the country is a genius plan. Grabbing your CD wallet and getting on the Megabus is just idiotic
Quote by Amuro Jay

simple, i don't

Pretty much this.

It's a hobby, not a job.
Last edited by AxeToFall at Dec 3, 2013,
I already make money off of it. I teach.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
A person like this wouldnt be making a thread about trying to make it as a musician. I feel like the biggest thing i can do is form a band and bug the shit out of everyone. But nobody is good enough and my age. I probably know all the musicians in my town. Nobody is on the same page. Nobody is trying.

a person like who?

but anyways, why do you see the guitar as an actual investment for profit? as someone said, its a hobby, not a job. if you see it as your 9-5, what fun is left? i love playing guitar and bass because i f***ing love playing guitar and bass, simple as that.

ive played in bands, ive recorded and blah blah blah, trust me, its not what its hyped to be. however jamming with friends without trying to be "serious" is always fun, and no matter what their lvel is (unless they just learned smoke on the water....), youre gonna be able to actually be a musician with another musician. always a great time

if you can however, join a legit band and have a grand old time doing that for a little while and actually be with fun people who arent so drawn on the business, youll have an even bigger blast.
Quote by dudester410

ive played in bands, ive recorded and blah blah blah, trust me, its not what its hyped to be.

You can just tell that you totally haven't, or in your head your band was way bigger than it really was
>implying I don't already make money

Catapult distribution just sent me my monthy itunes check baby.

Quote by Extra Ordinary
Get a job at a music or media company like Universal or whatever in local to you. Network and make connections. Say "hey check out my shit" and have them listen.
There's a Universal Music across the street from where my parents work so I guess that would be a pretty neat place to work.

Universal charges 600 bucks just for mastering a single song. I'm sure they make a lot of money there.
Last edited by stratkat at Dec 3, 2013,
if you know someone who runs a studio or a small label, you could get a gig as a session guitarist if you're good enough

I wouldn't call myself that good at guitar, at least compared to the music I listen to, but I'm definitely far better than most and I'm really good at improv jamming, so my friend "hired" me to do some session work. I've only made like 50 bucks, but I was just messing around with my friends, so it was legit and more should be coming (but not much more.. it's just something to do).
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
By thinking for 2 seconds and realizing you're not going to make money from it

Word

Taking CC Jazz band isn't going to get you anywhere OP
Depends on what you mean by it... do you want to enjoy it, too? You could:

1) Start a tribute band, or even join a successful one, and start doing paid gigs right away (weddings, smaller venues) and make a few hundred dollars a night, to split between you.

2) Find a way to get in with the right people and get into session work. Typically you'll have to get the social aspect right before you get any paid gigs though.

3) Find like-minded, young and attractive bandmates then jump on the bandwagon of 'the next big thing', and pimp yourselves out all over FB and Twitter to the late-teens who have the parents' money to spend on music.

4) Long hard slog, putting in lots of work playing your own original music, and hope that you manage to put the work in in the right places and make the right contacts and progression.

Aside from picking one of those, it's kinda hard to give any steadfast guidelines on how to do it because it varies greatly and where luck helps some people, hard work helps others and vice versa.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
You're my musical threat. You tell me.

lolz

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You could always charge people to remove your G string
Nerdo-sez-bo wrote:

Bon Jovi can just **** off really.

Life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liquor store, 40 oz to Freedom
Already making money from touring. My advice is merch. T-shirts and CDs have made gigging profitable for my band. Without merch, we couldnt even pay off the gas it took us to get to gigs.
Amp:
Vox AC30
Guitars:
Fender Telecaster, Fender Jaguar
Keyboards:
Roland Juno 106, Nord Lead 2X, Yamaha DX7
Drums:
Roland TR-707
Quote by willT08
You can just tell that you totally haven't, or in your head your band was way bigger than it really was

OKAY THERE, so two hate posts in one night eh. i get it, you enjoy picking on me. well, have a good night, champ
Get a day job, and if you have a good enough local following, try going on tour, I've done it once, and am about to go on another, and it makes enough to pay the bills for 1 to 3 months. . . in my experience anyway.
Page 1 of 4