So I am in possession of a Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 combo, and while I really dig it for some slightly less aggressive types of music (meaning Sleep, Black Sabbath and stuff like that) I was wondering what would be a good pedal I could get to boost the distortion to get some Black Metal/Death Metal tones?

I am not in any way experienced in pedals, and I only know pretty much the bare minimum about them. I was also looking at overdrive pedals but those seem to be a little lackluster if you're trying to get a really brutal tone, so I instead turned my attention towards distortion pedals.

As far as distortion pedals go, I like how the Proco Rat sounds, but are there other options that might suit me better?

Trying to aim for a sound similar to any one of these bands:

Bathory, Leviathan, Incantation, and Mitochondrian
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Dec 3, 2013,
Boss HM-2 is a staple you should pick up.

That said, what bands have tone you're trying to get close to?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Boss HM-2 is a staple you should pick up.

That said, what bands have tone you're trying to get close to?

Oh man I knew I was forgetting something

Well I really dig the tones of Bathory, Leviathan, Incantation, and Mitochondrian
Boss HM-2 or MT-2 will do the trick just fine.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Boss HM-2 or MT-2 will do the trick just fine.

I've heard some kind of mixed things about the MT-2, but it seems that the complaints are usually from people who don't like the Black Metal kinda of distortion.

I'll look into them more, thanks
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I've heard some kind of mixed things about the MT-2, but it seems that the complaints are usually from people who don't like the Black Metal kinda of distortion.

I'll look into them more, thanks

Yep, exactly. For your uses, it'll do just fine. It's a bit thicker and warmer than the HM-2 though. I only suggested it as an alternative because the HM-2 is pretty pricey nowadays. The MT-2 should be easy to get dirt cheap.

EDIT: I own the HM-2 and used to own the MT-2 by the way, if you have any questions I'll try to help you out. I haven't used it in a while.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 4, 2013,
i have an hm-2. i don't use it much, but its pretty much 'the' pedal for doom/death metal, all knobs all the way up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Offworld92
Yep, exactly. For your uses, it'll do just fine. It's a bit thicker and warmer than the HM-2 though. I only suggested it as an alternative because the HM-2 is pretty pricey nowadays. The MT-2 should be easy to get dirt cheap.

EDIT: I own the HM-2 and used to own the MT-2 by the way, if you have any questions I'll try to help you out. I haven't used it in a while.

Cool man, thanks.

I'm looking into the MT-2 more since it would be easier to obtain.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Cool man, thanks.

I'm looking into the MT-2 more since it would be easier to obtain.

if you can find one the HM-2 would do better from my relative little experience with the MT-2. but the HM-2's have been discontinued for a long time and may become really hard to find in the future and price may go up. not too many things appreciate in value in the guitar world, but it could be one of those (i am not the one to say it normally).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you can find one the HM-2 would do better from my relative little experience with the MT-2. but the HM-2's have been discontinued for a long time and may become really hard to find in the future and price may go up. not too many things appreciate in value in the guitar world, but it could be one of those (i am not the one to say it normally).

Yeah I mean I think ideally I'd like to get the HM-2 but I don't wanna spend too much on a pedal just because it's a little bit better and harder to find.

Especially being so unfamiliar with pedals.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Yeah I mean I think ideally I'd like to get the HM-2 but I don't wanna spend too much on a pedal just because it's a little bit better and harder to find.

Especially being so unfamiliar with pedals.

understood.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
It sounds like you need the MI Audio Megalith Delta or the ISP Technologies Theta pre-amp pedal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
It sounds like you need the MI Audio Megalith Delta or the ISP Technologies Theta pre-amp pedal.

mildly off topic, why does the MI Blues Pro get more attention? i have V1 and love it, but nobody has it or talks about them around here. i got mine used for $60. IMO its not different than most boosts, but certainly has its pluses (one being a rather crappy fuzz circuit you can switch from the top), and it sounds better than most TS's IMO.

people often reference the crunchbox, but i haven't seen one of those in person. although the seem to get good marks on here.

/mildly of topic

the megalith delta is pretty nice. how would you consider that with the new bogner pedals? (yes i know the voicing is different).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!