Hey all,

Recently i have really gotten into listening to jazz music! stuff like miles davis, john scofield, pat martino, etc. I was wondering what are the 'must know' albums for jazz guitar. i would prefer some on electric guitar as well.
Thanks
I don't know about essential albums, but in my opinion there are essential players. Mind you, some might be more towards the modern/fusion side and some might be more traditional jazz, but i am just recommending what are essential players in my opinion.

Pat Metheny, Grant Green, Pat Martino, Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery, Andreas Öberg, Barney Kessel, Lenny Breau, Jody Fisher and Joe Pass on the traditional side.

Django Reinhardt, Bireli Lagrene, Jimmy Rosenberg, Joscho Stephan, Rosenberg Trio, Frank Vignola, Angelo DeBarre, Stochelo Rosenberg and Tchavolo Schmitt on the gypsy jazz side.

Al Di Meola, Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Brett Garsed, Alex Machacek, Scott Henderson, Allen Hinds, Steve Khan, Mike Stern, Wayne Krantz, Larry Carlton, Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe and John Scofield on the more modern/fusion side.

I have more if you like, but those that i mentioned are specifically guitar oriented jazz and fusion music.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
That's a very nice list, Sickz I'd maybe still add John Mclaughlin on the Fusion side. His work with the Mahavishnu Orchestra is very interesting, just like his later, indian-influenced music. Didn't he also play on Bitches Brew?
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by clegtr
That's a very nice list, Sickz I'd maybe still add John Mclaughlin on the Fusion side. His work with the Mahavishnu Orchestra is very interesting, just like his later, indian-influenced music. Didn't he also play on Bitches Brew?

Ah, of course! Somehow i forgot to add John to that list, but yes, he is a essential listen!

Yes! He played on the Bitches Brew record, one fine record in my opinion.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."