Hey guys! Been contemplating buying a new guitar lately.. Got my eyes set on the Schecter Omen 6 Extreme. Now, I have a small problem. I've been playing for 3 years and at a fairly advanced level but still quite a beginner. Should I opt for the Floyd Rose Version of the guitar or Not? I like changing my tunings a lot..

I have a Fender Strat right now and Occasionally use the Whammy bar and would feel very awkward without it there. But we all know the problems of the FR system..

I thought of getting the FR version and then blocking it. And occasionally unblocking it when I need to use it. Comments?
Do you NEED it or do you simply like it for playing around with it? I mean, is it really necessary for the kind of music you play?

Nontheless, if you like changing tunings a lot, I'd recommend taking a guitar with a fixed bridge. I myself never change tuning. I stick with E standard and thus have no problem with a FR bridge. Though I have to admitt, it's still a pain in the arse when you change string gauge (adjusting string tension).

Just balance reasons. What are your pros and what are the cons?
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Quote by Dragonfyre137
Do you NEED it or do you simply like it for playing around with it? I mean, is it really necessary for the kind of music you play?

Nontheless, if you like changing tunings a lot, I'd recommend taking a guitar with a fixed bridge. I myself never change tuning. I stick with E standard and thus have no problem with a FR bridge. Though I have to admitt, it's still a pain in the arse when you change string gauge (adjusting string tension).

Just balance reasons. What are your pros and what are the cons?

Well, you raised a stellar point. Fact is I do like playing around with it, and don't really need it. But I'd imagine that I'll start using it more and more as I learn.. But I'm not a professional player and I'm guessing that its better if used by a professional..

Right now, I'm setting my sights on the Striing through body version. But before making a final decision, do you think that my idea is practical? Blocking it till I need to use it?
You could, theoretically. But to what avail?

Immagine this: You block your trem on E standard. Then you want to tune to drop D. No problem. But as soon as you want to use the trem, you have to adjust tring tension. Get it? Every time you change tuning and want to use your trem, you have to go over that nasty process of adjusting string tension. Seems a little bitt redundant.

Edit: I know, it's little help. But sadly you can't have both.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Dec 4, 2013,
Blocking your trem gives you the advantage of the locking tuners up top and the fine tuners down low. Unless your dimebag darrel, you'll probably rarely use it. Unless you have a very "shredy" style.
(signature removed, please choose another)
it's nice to have. i'd say you should get one with FR when you already have one or two main fixed-bridge guitars that satisfy you. if this is an upgrade because your existing guitar is a crappy budget model, i'd go for a fixed bridge.

but, if you're really really curious about FR then go for it, it's always good to explore new things.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by shawnkenneth
Hey guys! Been contemplating buying a new guitar lately.. Got my eyes set on the Schecter Omen 6 Extreme. Now, I have a small problem. I've been playing for 3 years and at a fairly advanced level but still quite a beginner. Should I opt for the Floyd Rose Version of the guitar or Not? I like changing my tunings a lot..

I have a Fender Strat right now and Occasionally use the Whammy bar and would feel very awkward without it there. But we all know the problems of the FR system..

I thought of getting the FR version and then blocking it. And occasionally unblocking it when I need to use it. Comments?

The FR system doesn't have problems. Some people who own them do, though.
If you're going to change your tunings a lot, an FR isn't the trem you want on that guitar.
With the exception of the JTV-89F Variax, which has a Floyd and does alternate tunings beautifully and quickly. Blocking the trem doesn't make much sense; you still have to undo the locking nut to change tunings...
Quote by shawnkenneth
Floyd Rose for a beginner or not?

Anyone that buys a FR equipped guitar for the first time, is a beginner. Meaning, everyone needs to learn how to use it regardless of experience. Using it properly, without getting butt hurt takes practice.

If you want one and accept that it has potential to be a pain in the butt, go for it. If you want quick, convenient, easy or are lazy. Don't buy one.
I wouldn’t get any kind of tremolo/vibrato for a beginner. They’re fun, and they can sound good, but they’re also a distraction. Focus on playing well without the vibrato and then worry about getting a more complicated guitar.
Thank you guys! After thinking a lot over it, I've decided to opt for the fixed bridge version. This guitar is meant to replace my old primary guitar.. And I don't want it to be a pain in the ass.. If I do need to use Vibrato, I'll probably just pick up the old one... :-)

I'll save up and get a Floyd Rose in due course of time, when my playing advances. .

Thank you for the advice people! It was invaluable!
nah, get it, they are great tools, you'll get good at it faster (it does take a lot of practice to be good..not just divebomb it), might as well learn to set it up sooner than later, you.ve been playing 3 years, Well set up it's anything but a pain unless you re-tune, and it's not a distraction at all IMO, get comfortable with it there and picking while holding it or as I prefer putting it between my pinky and 3rd finger.

A decent LFR will be 100x better than the trem on your strat
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 5, 2013,