Quote by syntheticocean
I'm either going to pick up the SR1600E or the SR1605E. I'm new to bass. What is the likelihood I'll need the extra string? I play most stuff on the radio these days.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on other basses?

If you're new to bass an SR1600 or SR1605 is hugely overkill. You'd be better off buying an SR500 or SR505 and a decent amp that is suitable for bass.

Regarding 4 or 5 string, it is essentially dependent on what style of music you intend to play. 5 strings are most commonly used for metal. I for example only play 4 sting basses as I have no need for a low B or high C. I have other 4 strings that are drop tuned instead.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
I'm not entirely new to bass. Somewhat. I had a BTB405 for years but I never played it because I ddin't have an amp. I don't think the 1600 series would be overkill. My girlfriend is getting it for me and the price didn't phase her. I'm aiming for something exceptionally high quality. After playing guitar and doing cabinetmaking for years I recognize quality of craftsmanship. I'd rather have something I never have to upgrade than something I'll upgrade a year or so down the road.
if you (or your girlfriend ) can afford it, why not? you sound like you know what you're doing when it comes to instruments, I don't see the point in settling for something mediocre when you don't have to.

i took up bass a couple of weeks ago. i got a vigier I got a killer deal, but still. I had precisely zero experience on bass and I bought it online- I was basically basing my decision on their guitars I'd tried.

I'd totally do it again. I doubt i'd have been this happy with something which was less "overkill".

Can't help with the 4 string versus 5 string thing (except I suspect Spanner93 is correct) or with those specific models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with Spanner93 - good advice. If you have the money to buy a high-end bass and an amplifier, there is nothing wrong with doing so, but.... if you decided tomorrow to start racing (cars) would you immediately go buy the fastest and most expensive car you could find, knowing that you won't be able to drive it to it's fullest potential because you are a beginner? Why spend top dollar on a premium bass when you don't know how to use it yet?

I owned a mid-level Ibanez bass for 28 years, and I've been playing for 35. I consider myself an advanced player and that mid-level bass was just fine for me. I personally would buy an Ibanez SR400 or 500 series (405 or 505 if you want 5 strings).
I'd say that depends on whether or not you feel limited by 4 strings. I'm personally looking for a 6 string myself, but that's because there are some things I'd like to do that would be much more difficult on a 5 (or heaven forbid a 4). I also want something that could expand my playing further. However, I have large hands and play metal and prog.

Way I see it, you have a 4 string bass built into a 5 string, there is pretty much nothing on a 4 you can't do on a 5. However, that 5th string is still a waste if you never use it. I'd try and play them both and see what you like the feel of more.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
I personally choose to play 4 string, for two primary reasons:

1) The type of music I play - rock, progressive rock, pop, does not require the additional string, and in cases where it's nice to have a low string tuned down to D - I can easily drop-tune the E string

2) Because of #1 above, I'm lazy - 5 string basses have wider necks, different string spacing, etc - so why adapt my technique to the additional string if I won't use it? In other words, I'm an old dog who is not interested in learning new tricks.

Since you are just beginning, it might make sense to learn with 5 strings right from the start.
4 is all you need - go look at the bass gods out there like Jeff Berlin, Stu Hamm, Billy Sheehan. All play 4 strings and do so amazingly well. Les Claypool is an exception of course.
If you NEED 5 for what you play (metal, country) then fine.

I too felt I needed/wanted a 5 and am about to sell it...had it strung conventionally (low b) and then tried the high C. Didn't like the C configuration at all, thought I would but didn't.

Now I'm still a fairly newbie to bass and what I"m finding is 4 strings is easier to learn on - nothing you need to play for quite a while needs that 5th string so it's just in the way as much as anything else.

Second thing is a well setup bass and light strings are easier to learn on as it's easier to press the strings. My 4 string GSR200 has medium flats and at lessons I use the teachers GSR300 4 string and his is easier to play, less tiring.

I played a used rickenbacker at the store a few weeks back...yep, I want one. It was special.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna unload my 5 string and sit on the cash till a 4 string 'speaks to me'.
Quote by smtp4me
I agree with Spanner93 - good advice. If you have the money to buy a high-end bass and an amplifier, there is nothing wrong with doing so, but.... if you decided tomorrow to start racing (cars) would you immediately go buy the fastest and most expensive car you could find, knowing that you won't be able to drive it to it's fullest potential because you are a beginner? Why spend top dollar on a premium bass when you don't know how to use it yet?

Are you really a total beginner if you already play guitar? Don't get me wrong, proper bass players will take me to school so hard it's not even funny (and I'd be the first to admit that), but I don't think I'm starting off at exactly the same level as someone who's never played a note on a musical instrument before, either. Also because I'm used to guitar I'm pretty aware already of what's good gear and what's not, and I need something decent or my other guitar gear will show it up. I assume synthetic ocean is in a similar position, judging by his badass warmoth in his sig at least.

Also I got a ridiculous deal on my Vigier (less than an MIM standard Jazz bass). I was paying intermediate money for a pro guitar- win-win in my book.

Racing cars are dangerous if you're a rookie- that's a false analogy, if you ask me. I'm not more likely to die using a pro bass instead of a beginner bass, for example. If anything, higher quality instruments are generally easier to play than lower quality instruments.

Also the potential thing comes up in the guitar/gear forums all the time- my own opinion on that is that it's a red herring (and as far as I'm aware, though I don't want to put words in their mouths, I think the other regulars generally agree with me). If it's more fun to play and sounds better for your particular situation, that's all that matters. Who cares about potential? I mean technically if you're not playing virtuoso-standard pieces on your rig at full volume 24 hours a day you're not using it to its full potential.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 5, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Are you really a total beginner if you already play guitar? Don't get me wrong, proper bass players will take me to school so hard it's not even funny (and I'd be the first to admit that), but I don't think I'm starting off at exactly the same level as someone who's never played a note on a musical instrument before, either. Also because I'm used to guitar I'm pretty aware already of what's good gear and what's not, and I need something decent or my other guitar gear will show it up. I assume synthetic ocean is in a similar position, judging by his badass warmoth in his sig at least.

Also I got a ridiculous deal on my Vigier (less than an MIM standard Jazz bass). I was paying intermediate money for a pro guitar- win-win in my book.

Racing cars are dangerous if you're a rookie- that's a false analogy, if you ask me. I'm not more likely to die using a pro bass instead of a beginner bass, for example.

Also the potential thing comes up in the guitar/gear forums all the time- my own opinion on that is that it's a red herring (and as far as I'm aware, though I don't want to put words in their mouths, I think the other regulars generally agree with me). If it's more fun to play and sounds better for your particular situation, that's all that matters. Who cares about potential? I mean technically if you're not playing virtuoso-standard pieces on your rig at full volume 24 hours a day you're not using it to its full potential.

I've played bass a number of times just screwing around. I'm not bad by any means, but learning some of the techniques will be foreign to me such as slapping. I said beginner based on the fact that I haven't ever played bass for a band. I can play things like Schism by Tool without a problem, so I know I would quickly outgrow a PoS bass.
Oh yeah I'm trying slapping and not getting very far I don't think I'm doing too badly with basic bass playing.

Also if you ask me a far better car analogy is the one I posted just yesterday in a thread in one of the guitar subforums- "You won't be using a Ferrari to its full potential if you're just using it for city driving, but it's still an awful lot more fun to drive around the city in a Ferrari than a Yugo."

Whether it applies to bass too, I dunno, but I suspect it does.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sounds good to me dave! So I suppose the only real fight I'm having within myself is whether to get 4 or 5 string. I'm leaning towards 4 because the necks have felt better for me. I had a btb405 a while ago and if I recall correctly I felt the 5th string got in the way more often than not.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Oh yeah I'm trying slapping and not getting very far I don't think I'm doing too badly with basic bass playing.

Also if you ask me a far better car analogy is the one I posted just yesterday in a thread in one of the guitar subforums- "You won't be using a Ferrari to its full potential if you're just using it for city driving, but it's still an awful lot more fun to drive around the city in a Ferrari than a Yugo."

Whether it applies to bass too, I dunno, but I suspect it does.

Fun is a bit subjective haha. Yugos and Ferraris can both be fun, and personally the same applies to my basses. I own (amongst others) a Status and an Ibanez GSR190. Both are at opposite ends of the spectrum price wise, but both are also a great amount of fun.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Oh yeah that's true as well, to be fair. I have cheaper and more expensive instruments (for guitar) and how much fun they are is only partly related to price. And sometimes not at all related to price.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sweet
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like the look of the BTB's, but the new models only come in 5 or 6 string. Part of the reason I got the SR1600 is that it is limited edition. I love the look of it, but it may hold more value in the long run. The poplar burl top is gorgeous. I hope when it arrives I was given one with a high-grade top. Unfortunately its on back order until about the first week in January. I'm so excited.