Hi.

You know of any good headphones for mixing?

I need a new pair of headphones since my BD 770s are broken.

I prefer closed back since i'll primarily be using them in a classroom environment.

Now, i could just get a new pair of Beyerdynamics but i wish to explore more options out there.

In short, i need:
- Closed back
- Comfort (if you have any experience with using certain headphones with glasses, let me know)
- Less than $200

I will be running them through a Komplete Audio 6 or Focusrite Sapphire 6

Any suggestions?
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by xFilth
The obvious answer to those requirements/budget is ATH M-50

Looks good, at least from the reviews i've read so far. Somewhat sceptic when it comes to their form factor. I think i should see if some local vendors has them.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Sennheiser HD380 pro.

I bought them because I had your exact criteria. They are real nice and I can wear them hour after hour with very little fatigue.
+1 to ATH-M50s. They translate surprisingly well.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm getting some ATH-M50s based on the internets overwhelming love for them for that price. Can't wait as my 10+ year old Yamaha monitor headphones, while still sound great are falling apart and now, beyond repair. Superglue and sellotape can only hold it for so long :p
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
None.

You miss all your sub-frequencies by mixing in headphones.
Buy a pair of studio monitors.
Last edited by Illustration at Dec 9, 2013,
Quote by Illustration
None.

You miss all your sub-frequencies by mixing in headphones.

That's actually not true. Depending on the set of headphones, sometimes the bass is actually truer than in monitors.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
That's actually not true. Depending on the set of headphones, sometimes the bass is actually truer than in monitors.

Sub-frequencies meaning the frequencies that are typically felt not heard.
You do not feel them accurately or at all in headphones and they are near impossible to mix.

I was given this advice by numerous professional mixers.
One of which was a producer who works rather frequently for Universal.
Trust me.
Last edited by Illustration at Dec 9, 2013,
Quote by Illustration
You do not feel them accurately or at all in headphones and they are near impossible to mix.

Trust me.

Ah, I figured you meant the "sub-bass", which is like 20-50Hz. And honestly, those frequencies aren't THAT important outside of movies.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Ah, I figured you meant the "sub-bass", which is like 20-50Hz. And honestly, those frequencies aren't THAT important outside of movies.

They're more important then you may think.
For example, they're extremely prominent in clubs, but I have been advised so many times never to mix through headphones. They'll definatly do the job, but you won't get a result as good as if you had used monitors. Mixes should always be tested through multiple speakers anyway once completed.
That I agree with. But to be entirely honest I cut out most of those frequencies most of the time since most of it's just mud.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Audio Technica ATH-M50s are great, I own two pairs and they are the most accurate headphones you can buy under ~$400.

Just don't expect them to be anywhere near as comfortable as your DT770s were.

Quote by Illustration

Trust me.

That's interesting, because I know many professionals who specifically use headphones to dial in low end. Sure, I'll agree a subwoofer with your monitors is probably the best solution, but introducing a sub into a less-than-ideal room is one of the quickest ways to ruin a mix.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sony MDR-7506 are also quite popular. They can be found in many many studios and there are thousands of reviews online due to the popularity.

They have flaws though which you can read about online as well. They are about $99 and can be found even cheaper than that as well.

I recommended these in a thread a few weeks ago and it turned into an argument about Beats by Dre......