Page 1 of 5
What are some bands that are almost exactly your kind of thing, but you don't like.

For me one choice would be Born of Osiris. I love modern progressive metal so I thought I would like these guys... alas they seem to only play riffs on one string, and every guitar solo seems to be written for the guy to prove that he can sweep pick. Got very stale very quickly.

What are some of yours?
Meshuggah. I really want to like them, but I simply can't get into their music. I've tried on many occasions to do so. It's too monotonous and repetitive (imo). They have some gnarly riffs but I need a little more variety in an album.

I definitely agree with you (OP) regarding Born of Osiris. They get stale pretty quick. Again... I need a little variety in an album.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
I should like Avenged Sevenfold because i'm a teenager and i'm a fan of Guns n Roses and Metallica which A7X are basically just rip offs of, but then again I'm not fond of the fanbase, the song writing, cheesy stage names, lyrics and also i'm not a 14 year old girl who gets wet seeing a middle aged man in makeup. Also I hate that thing they do in nearly all their songs that completely ruins it, for example, at 1:28 in this video

http://youtu.be/9fM3ylFs3hs

Also is there a name for that thing they do at that point ?
Gojira. Everyone always says how amazing they are, and many of the bands I listen to even say how amazing they are, but everytime I listen I'm never really feeling it.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
I should like Avenged Sevenfold because i'm a teenager and i'm a fan of Guns n Roses and Metallica which A7X are basically just rip offs of, but then again I'm not fond of the fanbase, the song writing, cheesy stage names, lyrics and also i'm not a 14 year old girl who gets wet seeing a middle aged man in makeup. Also I hate that thing they do in nearly all their songs that completely ruins it, for example, at 1:28 in this video

Using arpeggios to make a tasteless lead melody?
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by lemmyisgod97

http://youtu.be/9fM3ylFs3hs

What switching to awful singing and a shitty "solo"? Yes... it's called switching to awful singing and a shitty "solo".
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Joy Division
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Love Frusciante's solo stuff, but have never been able to really listen to RHCP.
king missle

detachable penis is still a classic though
Whats goes around must come down
Tried listening to BTBAM. Horrible.

Converge too. Horrible.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by angusfan16
Dream Theater

All other prog metal for me, basically. Although I do want to take a closer look at the bands that made UGs top prog metal bands.
hot water music/chuck ragan's solo shit

probably haven't given it much of a chance anyway but i never really liked that dude's voice

Like all music. I dont know why i dont like it i just dont. especially metal. I love btbam but i cant stand any other metal bands. I kinda did contortionist. kinda dig born of osiris. i cant stand periphery and protest. dillinger escape has some good tunes actually, but i feel like i should like them more.
The Dillinger Escape Plan. All the prog metal fanboys cream over their "mathcore technicality"...

I think it's unlistenable bollocks, it's just noise and because they don't play in 4/4 or any time signature they're regarded as progressive, that's not what progressive music is because Dillinger don't write music, they're the metal equivalent of Lou Reed.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Last edited by ProgFripp74 at Dec 4, 2013,
Anything with a core at the end of it.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Radiohead. I find them really hard to get into, but when I do get into the mood they're pretty good.
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I like the band name so I want to like them, but to me their songs all sounds the same.
Quote by Nero Galon
Tried listening to BTBAM. Horrible.

Converge too. Horrible.

lol, no

Quote by ProgFripp74
The Dillinger Escape Plan. All the prog metal fanboys cream over their "mathcore technicality"...

I think it's unlistenable bollocks, it's just noise and because they don't play in 4/4 or any time signature they're regarded as progressive, that's not what progressive music is because Dillinger don't write music, they're the metal equivalent of Lou Reed.

....wut
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 4, 2013,
Periphery. Can't stand them.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by ProgFripp74

My favorite bands include Protest The Hero, Between The Buried And Me, The Human Abstract, Periphery, The Contortionist, Last Chance To Reason, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Closure In Moscow, and until their most recent albums, Veil of Maya, and Born of Osiris. I like, but don't love Rush.

Based on that list, when asked I say that I mostly listen to Prog, but so many 'great' prog bands do nothing for me. Gojira, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Sikth, Mastodon, Tool, Opeth, Meshuggah, and pretty much any other prog band I've heard whom I can't think of right now does nothing for me.
^ Oh yea, I find Opeth pretty boring.

Like, I don't think they're bad but I don't see what all the fuss is about

EDIT: Actually, I pretty much agree with your whole post besides for Mastodon and the Contortionist

I love Mastodon and rally dislike The Contortionist
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 4, 2013,
Quote by ProgFripp74

I don't care if people share my taste in music or not, but any argument that a band doesn't make real music, particularly because it's noisy, is downright stupid.
The stone roses

Ocean colour scene

Travis
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Guns n Roses and Metallica which A7X are basically just rip offs of

wat
Protest The Hero is basically prog minus all the things I hate about prog, but I just don't get them yet. Same for Haken. And any of Tuomas Saukkonen's melodeath projects look great on paper, but the songwriting just doesn't measure up.
Quote by WCPhils
^ Oh yea, I find Opeth pretty boring.

Like, I don't think they're bad but I don't see what all the fuss is about

EDIT: Actually, I pretty much agree with your whole post besides for Mastodon and the Contortionist

I love Mastodon and rally dislike The Contortionist

I don't really like any prog metal outside PtH, BtBam and Dillinger. I love Mastodon, but I wouldn't but them as prog. That's just me apparently.

Of them all, I absolutely loathe Periphery. I want them to stop.
Page 1 of 5