Hi,

Just got a band together (my first). I am keen to play acoustic guitar in this band set-up. We have a singer, bass guitar and drum kit.

1) Can this be made to work for rock/pop covers - tips please?

- We don't want the drummer to have muffle or use bamboo

- We don't mind changing the rendition to work (so we don't need to ape the sound of the original).

2) Do you know any bands who play with this set-up? Maybe as a rule, or perhaps on certain songs?

Thanx
Many many bands use just drums acoustic guitar and bass, it's quite a common setup. First that comes to mind is Boyce Avenue, listen to most of their stuff (YouTube/Spotify) it's all covers and they do it mostly without electric guitar
Just spring for a decent acoustic amp, problem solved.

Methinks you need to plug in, just so you don't have to pound on the guitar. Then too, a little reverb, chorus, and/or delay, never hurts a bit.

Some other quick thoughts.

You can use a compressor, to level string output, and punch up the volume. You can also use a volume pedal for the same reason, but it doesn't level out string outputs.

Berhinger makes cheapie digital effect pedals that will hang with the best of them for acoustic guitar.

Their chorus is stereo, so a second tiny amp will give you a sound field a mile wide.

Many acoustic amps are 2 channel, so they can double as a PA for vocals.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 4, 2013,
Electro-Acoustic or an Acoustic pickup + Amp, you can play at volume comparable to the bass and drums then.
A lot of folk bands use that setup and I really like it. Just try it out and see how it goes really. Experiment!
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Like they say above, you will need some kind of pickup in the acoustic. Then either an amp or run to the PA with a DI box. The singer in my last band played an acoustic about 40% of the time. We were modern rock style sound.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Seriously guys, thank you so much for taking the time to contribute, you are really helping me:

AJSCOTT

I don't know Boyce Avenue, maybe because I'm a limey? Either-way, this is a good calling terms of the sort of sound we would be looking to achieve, and we are a covers band BUT, watching a few live vids on YouTube, I didn't once see them play to the above criteria. Sometime the drummer jumps on a cajon, most the time their is an electric guitarist there making a four.

CAPTAINCRANKY

You are the second person who has mentioned an acoustic amp, and is is very much on the cards, that will obviously give volume whilst retaining e acoustic guitar qualities - is this enough then without an additional Electric guitar?

You mention using effects like reverb... Does this work well with acoustic or does it kind of defeat the objector using an acoustic in the first place? Genuine question, I am relatively noob.

The volume pedal makes a lot of sense. I have an electric guitar too, and a Boss ME50 multi effects pedal which has all the effects you mention and a volume pedal. So I will try this.

MALCHIUS

We have only had one rehearsal and it went quite well, but I couldn't here my self on more rocky songs... Drums killed it. I played an electro acoustic through a PA. So perhaps it was just a case of turning the vol up more on the guitar, or the need for a monitor amp?

LEONY23

Can you name a few, or can anyone name some bands that use this set-up that I can Youtube?

RYANBWAGS

Can you explain the DI to me. I have heard this mentioned before,I read up on it and it was all technical talk. It would help me to understand what the DI does in plain English.

THANKS ALL FOR HUMOURING ME, YOUR WISDOM IS HELPING ANOTHER!!!!!
Quote by Limeydog

CAPTAINCRANKY

You are the second person who has mentioned an acoustic amp, and is is very much on the cards, that will obviously give volume whilst retaining e acoustic guitar qualities - is this enough then without an additional Electric guitar?
I'm hearing two asked but un-articulated questions here, and they're two of the most important. First, "is there such a thing a an 'acoustic power trio'"? Sure why not. And when you say, "can I get away with it", it seems like you're asking, "is there an audience for it"? Dunno. As to whether YOU can pull it off, again dunno. I've never heard you play guitar, hence I can't make that call.

Quote by Limeydog
You mention using effects like reverb... Does this work well with acoustic or does it kind of defeat the objector using an acoustic in the first place? Genuine question, I am relatively noob.
All "ambiance effects", (reverb, chorus, & delay), are eminently usable. In fact, when coupled with the guitar's EQ, (and IMHO), an acoustic sounds way better plugged in, that not. You're in good shape with with your FX pedal, as it's digital. Analog effects trend toward noisy, and that noise get mixed in with the electric amp high gain and becomes part of it.

You can also try a phaser. I personally don't like flanging. The delay range is too short, and for me, way too brittle. (I have as analog "Boss BF-2" flanger, and it just sits around collecting dust. Obviously, your results may vary).

Quote by Limeydog
The volume pedal makes a lot of sense. I have an electric guitar too, and a Boss ME50 multi effects pedal which has all the effects you mention and a volume pedal. So I will try this.
I also mentioned a compressor, which will act as a preamp, (a volume control too, but at a mostly fixed level), but it will also be capable of making single line notes AND chords at or near the same volume.

Feedback can become an issue here, and at some point, look forward to buying a sound hole insert.

Quote by Limeydog
We have only had one rehearsal and it went quite well, but I couldn't here my self on more rocky songs... Drums killed it. I played an electro acoustic through a PA. So perhaps it was just a case of turning the vol up more on the guitar, or the need for a monitor amp?
Unless you have a sound man, you should be working the levels on your guitar. You can also patch across to a PA from mid line and up acoustic amps. Now, are we working on helping you keep up with UN-amplified bass and drums, or is there more we should know?

BTW, if you dial back the post gain, and push up the pre-gain, you can even push a nice little crunch into your "acoustic" sound.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 5, 2013,
Thank you so very much CaptainCranky, you are teaching me a lot. I promise I have tried finding answers online, but they are often unexplained or too technical without explaining the fundamental.

@ Actually I am only asking the one question (not the skills level or whether the audience will like it aspect), just the how do I get heard in this set-up, and does it sound good without another electric guitar sprinkling solos etc. on top.

@ I am hearing from you that a Power Trio can be with acoustic, and you clearly sound like you know of what you speak, so this is music to my ears.

@ And I now understand that clever use of an FX pedal can help the acoustic, I will start experimenting right away.

@ I will look into compressors... I understand now its role, thank you.

@ I will also look into a hole .... Resonance was an issue when we jammed together, with my bottom E starting to buzz if left alone...

@ Big revelation, thank you. No soundman, so I need to have control at my end.

@ The drums are un-amped, they so don't need it. The singer goes through the PA and is loud and clear. The bass IS amped.

CAN YOU CONFIRM THIS SUMMARY: Invest in compressor and an acoustic amp and I should be on to a good thing..?

I didn't understand this, sorry, ", if you dial back the post gain, and push up the pre-gain, you can even push a nice little crunch into your "acoustic" sound." What would this be on? The compressor?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.