I saw this book mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago and it sounded pretty good. I searched on a few websites such as Amazon and it has some very good reviews so I purchased it. It was pretty much an impulse buy.

It hasn't arrived yet but I'm worried whether this book is for my skill level? I'm not really a 'shredder' and I've only been playing for just over 3 years but I can play some songs and simple solos that seem (to me) high tempo such as some Metallica songs. I'm worried whether this book starts from the basics (I'm perfectly happy with re-evaluating my technique) or it assumes you're already a 'shredder'?

tl;dr version:

For those who have this book or have used it: Is this book structured so it starts from the basics and gets progressively more difficult or is it just a book of random exercises for more skilled players?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by BlueIceBox
I saw this book mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago and it sounded pretty good. I searched on a few websites such as Amazon and it has some very good reviews so I purchased it. It was pretty much an impulse buy.

It hasn't arrived yet but I'm worried whether this book is for my skill level? I'm not really a 'shredder' and I've only been playing for just over 3 years but I can play some songs and simple solos that seem (to me) high tempo such as some Metallica songs. I'm worried whether this book starts from the basics (I'm perfectly happy with re-evaluating my technique) or it assumes you're already a 'shredder'?

tl;dr version:

For those who have this book or have used it: Is this book structured so it starts from the basics and gets progressively more difficult or is it just a book of random exercises for more skilled players?

First of all there is no such thing as a shredder mate.Not a genre nothing...Second,this book ll teach you some of the most important aspects of lead guitar playing.Its one of the very best.

Now if you ask if you can follow it there is no reason why you cant.It all depends on you..if you follow it to the letter and dont skip exercises or chapters or dont do exactly what it says just cause you...are not feeling it and things like that it wont help you.The progression of the drills is excellent,the explanations crystal clear and the attention to crucial details the best i have seen....

Bottom line, IF you have the patience to follow it you ll get very good results.
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Dec 4, 2013,
Troy Stetina is the author of this book and has other ones that break down single string technique into bite sized, fun pieces. Some of his work may seem a bit dated but hey, I'm pretty much same age as him.

Google him, he has a website that you can order other books (Lead Guitar vol 1&2 might be handy)

Good luck!
troy stetina heavy metal lead guitar 1
troy stetina heavy metal lead guitar 2
troy stetina heavy metal rhythm guitar 1
troy stetina heavy metal rhythm guitar 2
troy stetina speed mechanics for lead guitar
troy stetina fretboard mastery
troy stetina thrash guitar method
troy stetina guitar trick
troy stetina total rock guitar
troy stetina ultimate scale book

lead12,speed and fretboard mastery are far the best guitar teaching books i've studied in my life
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
IIRC it starts quite basic, though it gets quite difficult quite quickly as well. but yeah it's pretty good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So far I'm liking it I've only gone through the first few exercises which focus on finger independence (which is my favourite type of warmup/exercise) but damn some of them can be tough, especially those which force you to hammer on, pull off and trill between the pinky and ring finger!

A had a skim though the whole book and it does seem like a massive collection of exercises to cover all bases of lead playing (and some rhythm playing too), and some help on composition. They look and sound fun (judging from the clips on the CD). I think I'm pretty happy with it
Gear:
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by BlueIceBox
So far I'm liking it I've only gone through the first few exercises which focus on finger independence (which is my favourite type of warmup/exercise) but damn some of them can be tough, especially those which force you to hammer on, pull off and trill between the pinky and ring finger!

A had a skim though the whole book and it does seem like a massive collection of exercises to cover all bases of lead playing (and some rhythm playing too), and some help on composition. They look and sound fun (judging from the clips on the CD). I think I'm pretty happy with it

You ll hugely benefit from it IF you do the work as it is presented thereont skip chapters or expect to finish it all in a matter of months or even years...pay close attention to HOW he proposes to do the exercises WHAT is the objective at any case, WHERE its better to fret etc etc etc ....those are actually more important that the exercises themselves.Follow the instructions to the letter and you ll be golden .
IIRC I did my usual i.e. tried the first few exercises and then forgot about it, and even that helped me a ton. I imagine if you were really disciplined and worked through it religiously it'd help loads.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool sounds intense I just ordered lead vol 1 and 2.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Mini bump Some of the stuff is a little dated and you can notice it within the first few pages (it refers to 'todays players' as George Lynch and Warren DeMartini )

So far I've only gone up to the "hammering on to new strings" exercises (which is only the first few pages). My pinky strength has shot up and my pinky+ring finger pull offs have improved

But I can feel that my picking has slumped a little since I haven't practised any picking riffs and exercises since I got the book. I think I'm going to practice both left and right hand stuff at the same time rather than sticking to the book's structured plan. I think I'd just going to use the exercises as examples for my own practice sessions rather than following the books structure.
Gear:
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
but george lynch and warren dimartini are awesome!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?