I've been checking out clips of the Sunn Model T RI and it seems like a pretty cool amp. The clips I've found all seem to be stoner/doom/fuzz related though. My style is a mix of post metal (ISIS, Intronaut, etc) and modern progressive metal (Meshuggah). This seems like a great amp for a gnarly post metal sound. Anyone know if the Model T can tighten up a little and reach into modern high gain (say with a boost, etc) or is it somewhat limited to that awesome blown out doom sound?
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 4, 2013,
An amp designed in the 1970s is not going to do modern tones without a distortion pedal.
Quote by jpnyc
An amp designed in the 1970s is not going to do modern tones without a distortion pedal.

From what I've heard the RI doesn't sound much like the original, but I have a feeling your point may still be valid. TS, I haven't played one so I can't say for sure, but I have my doubts that it will give you anywhere near a tight modern metal sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The amp wasn't designed in the 70's.. He is talking about the reissue.

Go listen to the album 'Enter' by Russian Circles. 90% of the gain tones are the gain channel of the Model T Reissue.

I've also owned one for a good long time. Cool amps, definitely not the original. It's essentially the Fender Pro Series Twin Amp.
Quote by jpnyc
Thanks for your wisdom. The somewhat standard setup for modern metal tones these days includes TS-style boost, noise gate, 10-band EQ in the loop. Interested in feedback from people who know what I'm talking about.

Basically- It seems like this head has a ton of gain, like a special kind of low frequency distortion. Is it only good for Doom?
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 5, 2013,
I wouldn't say Russian Circles is using doomy tones. He does a lot of lead work and it sounds good. It's capable of doing pretty modern tones, especially with a boost.

End thread?