I've been recording in a new way for me (all live) and I like the results, however through speakers I feel it could do with some more low end where bass would be.

I tried playing a bass guitar part to the song, however it was too muddy and ruined things.

Is there any sort of studio technique that can be added to a song to "suggest" low end presence?

Said song here: https://soundcloud.com/michaeloneilmusic/live-through-my-dreams-demo

EDIT: NEW VERSION W BASS GTR HERE:

https://soundcloud.com/michaeloneilmusic/live-through-my-dreams-2nd
Last edited by rocknrollstar at Dec 22, 2013,
Try using keyboards, something string-based like a piano, or I also find rhodes or wurlitzer make for great bass keys. Also, try playing the bass guitar, but EQ it better to cut out the muddy crap.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Try freeing up the 100-600 range.
Seems counter-intuitive when you want more bass, but if you can free up those frequencies on the other instruments, you might find the bass guitar would work much better and solve your issue. I find muddiness occurs mostly when there is too much in the low end, so your bass might just be overloading it.

Its hard to say without hearing the song however.
Freeing up the lower end to make space for the bass guitar is probably the right thing to do in this case... but I'd argue that cutting into the lower mids probably ISN'T the right thing to do. By cutting under 600 you'd be destroying the harmonics and fundamental of an acoustic guitar. If it were me I'd do the standard trick of "move the low cut up until you can hear the difference then dial it back a little." More reliable than copying numbers any day.

There's not a large amount of audible low end in the track but it still, mud can build. I don't see why there would be a problem adding a bass part to this track. Assuming the bass is well recorded and processed (really a good DI and some compression would do with a little EQ work!)
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Dec 9, 2013,
Hello folks,

Thanks for all these tips. I've recently just got monitor speakers and within the next few weeks I've got some time off work and intend to add bass to this track - hopefully w monitors I will now have a clearer picture of my soundscape - I can hear it clear that it definitely needs that low end.

I will do a recording and let you all hear it and hopefully provide some crit? I'm actually excitied to be recording as I think that once the bass is on this track, then I'd finally be comfortable recording (from a production point of view) if that makes sense?
Ha! I was going to ask what you were using to monitor with.

From there, a half-way decent bass recorded half-decently shouldn't muddy up a track. You need to know how to EQ stuff to get out of the way. Basically, in your low, low end, you need either bass or kick, but not both. EQ the bottom off of one to make room for the other. Then add some presence to the one that got cut somewhere higher up. If you cut the bottom off the kick, then find the frequency where the beater is at and nudge it up. There's a psycho-acoustic thing that happens where the mind will "fill in the gaps" even though the ear doesn't actually hear it. Same with bass.... if you roll off the bottom of the bass, find a presence peak somewhere and nudge it up. Same thing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Ha! I was going to ask what you were using to monitor with.

From there, a half-way decent bass recorded half-decently shouldn't muddy up a track. You need to know how to EQ stuff to get out of the way. Basically, in your low, low end, you need either bass or kick, but not both. EQ the bottom off of one to make room for the other. Then add some presence to the one that got cut somewhere higher up. If you cut the bottom off the kick, then find the frequency where the beater is at and nudge it up. There's a psycho-acoustic thing that happens where the mind will "fill in the gaps" even though the ear doesn't actually hear it. Same with bass.... if you roll off the bottom of the bass, find a presence peak somewhere and nudge it up. Same thing.

CT

Well since we as last spoke I've got my monitors, a new mic and an acoustic bass.

What do you make of the results?

https://soundcloud.com/michaeloneilmusic/live-through-my-dreams-2nd

Same song, new stuff added