My main influences are David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Tony Iommi. So between the GT-100 and the HD-500, which one has the better 70's tone?
The HD500 is just better, period. Amp modeling wise, anyway, not talking about FX here.

The GT100 is still using archaic COSM algorithms, and as of this gen (GT100 vs HD500) they have officially really fallen behind.

If you're getting an MFX unit, I would absolutely recommend the GT100 or the GT10. If you're getting a DSP unit, HD500 no contest. I would also strongly recommend holding out for the HD500X, as with that you will have much more freedom to create heavy FX and dual amp patches.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I would also strongly recommend holding out for the HD500X, as with that you will have much more freedom to create heavy FX and dual amp patches.

Nothing major new besides the redesigned exterior. DSP is still the same, FX heavy isn't it's strong points when going for dual amps

TS, the Gt100 can work for clean sounds & mild overdrive, but not for mid to high gain. It's just not happening with it. They did improve the overall picking dynamics with it but forgot to update the sound for modern music. If you demo it then look for the Advanced Preamps, those are the only improved/new models in it. You could get a used gt10 & put a used tech 21 character series pedal(or a joyo clone) in it's fx loop for mid to high gain. The gt 's strength lies in it's fx flexibility & number of simultaneous fx at once, it's 9 at once excluding the preamps & still the ability to have dual chain setup.
Quote by steven_ferns84
Nothing major new besides the redesigned exterior. DSP is still the same, FX heavy isn't it's strong points when going for dual amps

The 500X has a lot more (doubled, I think?) memory. That's pretty major, because on the original 500 you could actually hit the limit without too much difficulty. You couldn't stack a lot of amps and FX. The 500X gets rid of that problem, you can stack FX and amps until the cows come home.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ Nope it doesn't

It was a error made by the guy in the vid promo for it. You can read the user review here http://www.thegearpage.net/board//showthread.php?t=1292132 It's TGP but its got some useful details in the first few pages(or rather first few posts) about the improvements over the original HD500.

Digitech is supposed to come out with new stuff(non iOS), I hope it's something good.

EDIT: L6 may have done something similar that zoom did with the G3 v2.0 firmware, but overall not a big improvement imo.
Last edited by steven_ferns84 at Dec 5, 2013,
Really. I am quite sure that I read it on the L6 website. The HD500X page is different now than when it came out. Now the language about it is vague.

"MORE PROCESSING POWER, MORE CREATIVITY
With unparalleled flexibility and more processing power than anything in its class, POD HD500X is built for tone creation."

If they backpedaled on it and it's not true, that's really ****ed up. I've been recommending them under the impression that they for all intents and purposes removed the DSP limit wall.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, to be fair L6 never really said the HD500X had twice the DSP, that info/rumour came from some online European seller site or something.

The old HD500 is out of production & the HD500X is the present redesign of it. That advert is supposed to imply that the HD line has more DSP compared to previous gen Pod X3 or XL (whichever was released before the HD line came out) & they re-did the page probably because the hd500x looks different
No I mean the actual HD500X page has changed since it came out.

Anyway... yeah, that's really disappointing. Moreso now since I'm actually invested in L6 (recent M9 owner).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah I meant the homepage for HD500X has been redone lol It fits the newer design now, it's part of marketing I guess. the selling idea is still the same, improved over the previous non-HD Pod DSP wise & more robust than the previous HD500 hardware wise.

Atleast the good news is that the switches are improved, much more robust than ever before I think. I mean for L6 MFX units in particular. Lots of complaints used to come up regarding the switches malfunctioning, so that will be limited to very rare instances now, hopefully.
If you really want any of those sounds, get a valve amp instead . Those players' sound is derived from their amp and how they play with the volume and gain to create overdrive. Believe me, no amp modeling will replace the sweet sound of valve amp.
Quote by Offworld92
The HD500 is just better, period. Amp modeling wise, anyway, not talking about FX here.

The GT100 is still using archaic COSM algorithms, and as of this gen (GT100 vs HD500) they have officially really fallen behind.

If you're getting an MFX unit, I would absolutely recommend the GT100 or the GT10. If you're getting a DSP unit, HD500 no contest. I would also strongly recommend holding out for the HD500X, as with that you will have much more freedom to create heavy FX and dual amp patches.

This. BOSS is really far behind in the modeling department. If we were talking about a previous generation Line 6 POD, then maybe, but that's the whole problem, BOSS sounds like a generation behind, and those basically sounded obviously fake.
You could get decent tones out of it, and it was revolutionary for the time, but a lot of hardware amp modeling floorboards is stepping up their game.

A POD HD500 is probably the best besides maybe an Axe FX 2 or Kemper.
I use A GT100 Version 2 update. The Distortions are horrible. All modulation effects are outstanding as boss is known for. It's very easy to use and setup. I use a Line 6 M5 in the Send & Return from the GT100 to achieve a tube driver, some nicer reverbs and a dynamic delay which I like. All this is midi controlled from the GT100 to switch the M5 to whatever patch is required. I midi switch channels on my modified Bugera 333XL 212 combo, (through a payne labs K-Switch), from clean to crunch to lead, all controlled from the GT100. I get a killer tone with great effects by using the GT100 this way. Unless you buy an AXE FX2 or a Kemper which are both well outside my spending budget, then digital distortion or amp modeling is just always going to be crap. Tube amps are the way to go for tone in my opinion. I've seen guys get pretty decent results from a HD500, however it just looked too hard for me.
Quote by Offworld92

This, so much. BOSS needs to stop using COSM technology, because that technology sounds like it came from the previous decade.

A lot of people liked the POD 2.0 or X3, but Line 6 knew despite that fact, they could do better, and the advancement in technology called for a brand new POD.

All companies are doing this, VOX, Peavey. They're udating their modeling products because they know they can push it further with the technology of today.
Why can't Boss?

Also, about the HD500X, it has more DSP than the HD500, but not twice. Like someone said, that was a false rumor. The DSP update is so you don't hit the DSP limit as easy when laying down a bunch of effects and stuff at once.
I personally would get a used HD500 unless you use that much effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uK22wJtjHA
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Last edited by Clay-man at Jul 28, 2014,
I bought the GT-100 because I didn't give two ****s about amp modeling really.
As for the distortion in the GT-100 being crap - maybe if you are talking about the modeling side of things, but I think the overdrives are quite good in front of a good amp. The tubescreamer and Guv'nor in particular are very close to the real thing. If I stick the guv'nor in front of my JTM45 it's instant Gary Moore.
The GT-100 is obviously aimed squarely at gigging musos. Setting it up is really easy without having to resort to pc based screen editors.
So it really depends on what you need. If you are a working musician with a good amp, the GT-100. If you are a bedroom hero or recording in a small studio without amps, the Pod.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MrIbanezRG
Unless you buy an AXE FX2 or a Kemper which are both well outside my spending budget, then digital distortion or amp modeling is just always going to be crap. Tube amps are the way to go for tone in my opinion.

Nah. I have an AxeFX Ultra, and I'm pretty familiar with the version 2.
The Pod HD does a very good job with distortion and amp modeling, but you need to know what to work with and what to turn off on the things. There are some folks who've done a really good job publishing .pdf files that explain how to do that.

One of the things I've recently added to the Pod is the Torpedo C.A.B. (Two-Notes Engineering). It costs more than the Pod itself, but it adds what the Kemper has (IR cabinet modeling) that really makes the Kemper what it is. http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-cab/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mn9116AxiE&width=640&height=480

And that seems to be pretty much the final piece of the Pod puzzle; the Pod was a bit underwhelming on cabinet modeling, and the combination is just killer. The C.A.B. is $549, and I've coupled that with (on occasion) a Pod HD that was around $275 (some folks have picked them up new for $199 last Christmas) and a used FBV Shortboard that was under a hundred bucks. I can use MIDI commands to run the CAB via the Shortboard/PodHD pass-through.

I've got 15 tube amps and several tube preamps, but honestly, they're simply impractical at best and a PIA at worst, particularly if you're going to need more than one signature sound. I've heard lots of "tone" folks talk about working with the sag and all that, but very few can actually do it (as a fraction of all tube amp owners) and it all goes out the window when you add a drummer.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 29, 2014,
Pfft. GT-100 in front of an RM100 loaded with boutique modules. Ya ****ing android.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Pfft. GT-100 in front of an RM100 loaded with boutique modules. Ya ****ing android.

Drooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddd! *PoOt!*
Quote by Cathbard
I bought the GT-100 because I didn't give two ****s about amp modeling really.
As for the distortion in the GT-100 being crap - maybe if you are talking about the modeling side of things, but I think the overdrives are quite good in front of a good amp. The tubescreamer and Guv'nor in particular are very close to the real thing. If I stick the guv'nor in front of my JTM45 it's instant Gary Moore.
The GT-100 is obviously aimed squarely at gigging musos. Setting it up is really easy without having to resort to pc based screen editors.
So it really depends on what you need. If you are a working musician with a good amp, the GT-100. If you are a bedroom hero or recording in a small studio without amps, the Pod.

Boss's overdrives and modulation have always been good.
Their distortions and amps modeling are an embarrassment though.

Like I've said, why complain about how amp modeling isn't like the real thing, then get the least good sounding amp modeler?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Last edited by Clay-man at Jul 30, 2014,
Well, for me the reason is that I don't give a shit about the modeling part of the unit. I don't need to model amps, I've got the amps. The few times I'd need it, it's fine. The amp modeling in it is just my backup amp. As a backup amp it's more than adequate.
Horses for courses, man.

The GT-100 really is aimed at gigging musos. It's so easy to use from the front panel at a gig. As a gigging tool, it's friggin awesome, especially if you've got a MIDI tube amp to run it into.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 30, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Well, for me the reason is that I don't give a shit about the modeling part of the unit. I don't need to model amps, I've got the amps. The few times I'd need it, it's fine. The amp modeling in it is just my backup amp. As a backup amp it's more than adequate.
Horses for courses, man.

The GT-100 really is aimed at gigging musos. It's so easy to use from the front panel at a gig. As a gigging tool, it's friggin awesome, especially if you've got a MIDI tube amp to run it into.

I like the options of different voicings so it's nice to have amp modeling, especially if you play a vast array of music that demands different tones.

A tube amp is expensive, and buying multiple amps is out of the question.

I believe the POD has MIDI out as well by the way.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Yeah, it was a close call between the two for me. I tried to suck as much info on them from this forum too, you may remember. I'm happy with my choice. If recording was what I wanted it for, then the Pod would have won hands down. But that's not what I wanted. I wanted a gigging tool to go with my RM-100.
Like I said, horses for courses.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vintage sounds haven't been a problem to cope out of gt units, it's the modern high gain tones that are difficult to nearly impossible. The problem that still plagues even the gt100 is not the preamps but the cab sims. Bypass those & run it through a dedicated guitar speaker or cab & it's all useful. The volume knob also reponds much better now with the gt100 compared to previous gt's & the UI is the best so far among the other gts.

In any case here's one from the older gt10, sadly it's a direct sound but okay i guess, fantastic playing though. Some more stereo spread would have sounded good, like at the very end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15A99toLtNE

And a loooong comparison vid between the 100 & 500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4peMDYCdyM
Last edited by steven_ferns84 at Jul 30, 2014,
Steven. The first video sounded good. I agree, that it could be the cab's fault. They sound like shit to me. Very thin sounding, no balls, and the treble is always too high. I still feel like I'd get a POD over a GT though.

I've seen the other video before, and the guy rambles a lot. Good comparisons, but WAY too long of rambling.

Like I said, still would stick to a POD for amp modeling.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
The Avid Eleven Rack is best at mid-gain tones IMO. The JCM800 in the 11R absolutely destroys the one in the POD HD. Had to quadruple check that nothing was wrong when I was comparing the two, the POD's JCM800 was that bad. The Plexi's a bit better on the 11R, too.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
^Actually if recording was the sole purpose then i'd prefer the SGear stuff over the 11R or Pod. Cheaper than either & easier to get it to sound right, doesnt use up too much resources either. The demo gives a 30 day trial with all feature access, may want to check it out.
Oh jeez, didn't notice this thread was bumped from December.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Everyone seems focused entirely on modeling and FXs and that's alright, strong points on all sides. But what about harmonizing? how do the pitch shifters and octave generators compare with each other? how precise and stable are they at tracking notes and interpreting scales?

Also, MIDI. Has anyone used MIDI OUT on these pedals to control other devices such as synths, racks, switchers?
Last edited by zaiten at Aug 21, 2015,
Quote by zaiten
Everyone seems focused entirely on modeling and FXs and that's alright, strong points on all sides. But what about harmonizing? how do the pitch shifters and octave generators compare with each other? how precise and stable are they at tracking notes and interpreting scales?

Also, MIDI. Has anyone used MIDI OUT on these pedals to control other devices such as synths, racks, switchers?

This is an ancient thread. Start a new one.

And MIDI works (as advertised). I have the Pod. At one point, I had a lightning effect that switched along with everything else in that user preset.