Hey guys, I've had a problem at my last 2 gigs and I really need to solve it fast. at the first gig, during the first set (after everything was working fine for about 5 songs), my guitar cut out completely during a song, I played with the volume on my amp, guitar, stepped on some pedals etc. The sound would come back, fade in and fade out at random before coming back at twice the volume (due to me cranking it up to try and get a sound out of it.) After the first set we could turn all of our gear up and rock out the last 2 sets because all of the patrons had finished eating. Everything worked perfectly for the rest of the night.

This issue came back for the next gig again in the first set, after cranking it a bit louder the problem went away for the rest of the gig.

Last night at band practice, we played for a solid hour and a half before the sound completely disappeared for a minute or so until it returned.

I play a Maton MS503 electric guitar, It runs through the following pedals: Boss TU-3, Ibanez TS9, Boss CE-5, Boss GE-7 and a Boss DD-7. My amp is a Vox VT-40+.

While this problem has been occurring, I have changed over the guitars, leads (haven't tried changing all of the patch leads yet) but the problem continued. At first I assumed it was a problem with my amp but I have played through the amp without going through my pedals for over an hour with no problem. Any idea's?
Well.

As I read your thread I kept thinking Power Tubes need to be replaced.

Then I saw Vox VT40.

1.) Get a new amp bud.
2.) Spray some contact cleaner onto a plug and repeatedly rock it into every single 1/4" jack in your chain. Seriously. If that doesn't help - go back to option #1.
Thanks for the Reply "311ZOSOVHJH" I will try option 2 and see how I go. My band mainly plays in small venues and the sound of the amp (for the price and size) Is more than what I need. I was originally going to buy a Vox AC15VR but the guy at the shop got me to try out the VT40+ and use it to model the AC-30 and we both agreed that the VT40+ Sounded a lot better. I will be upgrading to a better amp as soon as I can afford it, It'd just be a pain in the ass if I replaced my amp but the problem continued.
Change out your patch cables, or jam straight into it for an hour or so.

It could just so happen that there is a shitty cable somewhere and you're moving it just right to loose contact, then accidental move it again to re-establish contact.

It is kinda fluky, but I've wasted many hours scratching my head before to find out it was just a dodgy patch cable.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
On another note, Could it be the Power Tube in the amp? I've owned the amp for around 3 or 4 years and I've never replaced anything inside it.
Thanks red.guitar I really Don't think it is the patch leads, one time when it happened, it would just continually cut in and out while playing and I was standing completely still and not touching the pedals.... :\
You can try a new 12ax7 in the amp, it will not hurt anything.

Remove all the pedals and see if you still have the same issue

get a Vox AC4C1 if you like the Vox AC30 tones and mic your amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks Robbgnarly I'll look into your suggestions, do you know if my amp definitely has a power tube? I rang up my local music store and they told me that it doesn't even though I'm sure I was told otherwise when I bought it :\
Quote by aaron.westlake.
Thanks Robbgnarly I'll look into your suggestions, do you know if my amp definitely has a power tube? I rang up my local music store and they told me that it doesn't even though I'm sure I was told otherwise when I bought it :\

It has a 12ax7 in the power section, not exactly what I call a powertube. but it does have 1 tube in it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It has a 12ax7 in the power section, not exactly what I call a powertube. but it does have 1 tube in it

Thanks heaps!
Just a follow up post to let you guys know that I have taken a lot of your advice. I cleaned all of my leads and pedals with contact cleaner and I've been using a borrowed Peavey Bandit 112, so far no problems so I'm going to assume that my amp was the problem all along, Thanks for the help guys!
Now just ask Santa for a new amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't think a new amp is within Santa's budget, Any suggestions for good amps to use with my pedals? I've been playing through the Peavey Bandit and I think it might just be the difference in speaker size, but it's way warmer with heaps more low end, Loving it. It's also a solid state amp. The guy at the local music store suggested an all valve Blackstar amp, gonna go try it out in the coming weeks.
That's why I use a Bandit for gigging.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Peavey ultra 1x12 can be had for <$300 used and are great amps.

An all valve Blackstar will be way out of your budget. The HT series is Hybrid not all tube. This doesn't make it a horrible amp, but be aware that they are not an all tube amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate