I just purchased a White Pearloid Carparelli S3. What a beautiful guitar to look at but especially to play. Lot's of "grunt" from the pickups and the action is amazing. Any idea what this guitar would be worth on the open market?

Details:
Serial 108, 2008 -2009 designed by Carparelli

Mahogany Body, Maple top, White Pearloid Covering, Carparelli Pickups, C shape Neck Profile, Tusq or Bone nut.
Attachments:
20131203_160111.jpg
Last edited by barker4321 at Dec 5, 2013,
Quote by barker4321
I just purchased a White Pearloid Carparelli S3. What a beautiful guitar to look at but especially to play. Lot's of "grunt" from the pickups and the action is amazing. Any idea what this guitar would be worth on the open market?

Very difficult to say. Current S4 model sells at $1299CA full retail. Not a widely known brand, not a custom issue, Yet Another LP clone of asian origin. I'd assume at least a 50% drop, probably more. Comparable guitars sell new for much less.
I did a scan on ebay and these run from $650 to about $1,000 used. Reviews tell me nothing but great stories on Carparelli guitars. "you get much more in quality than you pay for"
They also do have a custom shop- either USA or CAN, I forget which- just as an F.Y.I.

They look pretty decent, though, and I have thought about them. Still, like dspellman says, there are other MiK brands out there that aren't quite as dear. MIK Fernandes guitars, Traditions and Reverends are typically available for a few hundred less than the prices you might see posted on their websites.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 5, 2013,
Quote by barker4321
I did a scan on ebay and these run from $650 to about $1,000 used. Reviews tell me nothing but great stories on Carparelli guitars. "you get much more in quality than you pay for"

I don't see any used Carparelli guitars on ebay at the moment -- everything's being sold new by...Carparelli.

Your 2008 guitar was likely done in Korea or China; Dot On Shaft pulled in container-loads of instruments from Ace Musical Instrument Company (Inchon/Qingdao) in January of that year.

Music Radar's review of the S4 was 3.5 /5 stars. Negs included: "The finish is a little thick-looking in certain places and the frets need a final polish." Pickups: "Both produce a lighter mid-range than some similar single-cuts we compared the S4 to. But we're definitely in the big, broad Les Paul ballpark, though to our ears the S4 lacks a little bit of character and subtlety, something that a good single-cut of this type should have in abundance." "A couple of constructional issues." "A worthy, if not outstanding addition to the mid-price single-cut market."

Gear Vault has a decent description of the S3 SemiHollow, but other than noting the extensive level of bling, doesn't have much to say about the sound or playability (other than noting that the low frets are probably better for the Jazz player and that they reduce the level of the guitar's touch sensitivity). It's not really a review as much as it is a rundown of the specs.

Another Canadian blogger liked the guitars, but this was a 2006 review done immediately after he was given a helluva price (according to him) on two of the guitars by Mike Carparelli (when they were still Dot On Shaft Guitars) and before he'd actually plugged the guitars into an amp. No indication of what he actually paid, but at the time he considered SAGA guitar kits very expensive and Agiles the height of bang for the buck. Obviously not a particularly objective review and one wonders about his level of expertise and how things worked out after this "honeymoon" blog post.

Yet another Canadian blogger produced a near-plagarism of the Gear Vault description, though there are no player impressions whatsoever (I don't think he actually had one in hand). This blogger freelanced a bit and suggested that Dot On Shaft was taking advantage of the great Canadian wood supply (even though this was a Korean guitar built of non-canadian lumber). Not particularly credible and again, not really a review but a re-hash of a spec sheet/GearVault description and (likely) Dot on Shaft's advertising copy.

They've abandoned these designs, then?

Last edited by dspellman at Dec 5, 2013,
I'm amazed at the amount of detail that goes into these guitars. The abolone inlay is amazing. The Wht pearloid LP S3 that I have has it's action set so low, you can breath on the strings and have it play. The pickups are very dirty sounding with lots of sustain. The special cutaway on the body near the neck gives you great access to the higher registery.
Just. Awful. The Jesus bass is one of the most ridiculous looking instruments I've seen.

Also, are you a rep for them or something?
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Dec 6, 2013,
"Eye of the beholder" My S3 is amazing and plays like a dream. I'm not a rep, just love this guitar and have been emailing Mike Carparelli, re: details on my S3. Mike is a down to earth customer focussed gentleman who actually cares for players and responds immediately. Great Canadian designed guitar.
Last edited by barker4321 at Dec 7, 2013,
Quote by barker4321
"Eye of the beholder" My S3 is amazing and plays like a dream. I'm not a rep, just love this guitar and have been emailing Mike Carparelli, re: details on my S3. Mike is a down to earth customer focussed gentleman who actually cares for players and responds immediately. Great Canadian designed guitar.

Glad you like your guitar, and I've heard Mike is easy to deal with from other folks.
I think his guitars are good enough, but as new items are overpriced rather than "bang for the buck." I've pretty much felt that way since the Dot days. If you bought yours used, perhaps you got a great deal. I've got no axe to grind, but aside from a casual interest in what designs are coming out of the Great North these days, I've got little desire to buy any of them.