Okay, so my brother gave me a Lanzar Max Pro 10 inch sub. Rated at like 1,200 watts peak.
I'm trying to figure out if I should just go down to my local car audio shop and have them build me a custom box, or if there's a cheaper pre-made enclosure that would make it sound awesome.
Any help at all is appreciated, I'm no expert on this stuff. lol.

Here's a link to the speaker I have for further info:
http://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-MAXP154D-2000-Watt-Small-Enclosure-Subwoofer/dp/B000O3XT4W/ref=sr_1_20?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1386263110&sr=1-20
foREVer
Always be wary of Subs that don't tell you what the RMS is.

For a single you'll want a shallow built box, depending on your care and the placement, otherwise that huge speaker in a huge box will sound floppy and farty. You really need to find out what the RMS on it is so you know what amp to get.

Also, do you have an aftermarket or stock radio? Stock means you'll need an interface kit so that they can splice the sub signal out separately. That can get lengthy if you don't know how to do it and expensive if you're having someone else do it.

There's a car thread on this forum. The guys in there are pretty good at this stuff.
Quote by JustRooster
Always be wary of Subs that don't tell you what the RMS is.

For a single you'll want a shallow built box, depending on your care and the placement, otherwise that huge speaker in a huge box will sound floppy and farty. You really need to find out what the RMS on it is so you know what amp to get.

Also, do you have an aftermarket or stock radio? Stock means you'll need an interface kit so that they can splice the sub signal out separately. That can get lengthy if you don't know how to do it and expensive if you're having someone else do it.

There's a car thread on this forum. The guys in there are pretty good at this stuff.

I searched and nothing car audio related popped up. lol.
I have a JVC aftermarket radio, waiting to get the wiring harness adapter. The one for my car is about $100 cause of all the warning lights on my dash, door dinger, and other things related run through my radio. I researched some stuff and they said you could buy a special wiring kit to put your old deck under your seat or in the truck, but I think it would be to much of a hassle. I also already have Infinity Reference series 6x9s in my back dash.
foREVer
Quote by captainsnazz
For the love of christ, do not put a sub in your car.

Even I wouldn't bother. But then I think putting a huge system in your car rather than your living room is beyond stupid
Quote by willT08
Even I wouldn't bother. But then I think putting a huge system in your car rather than your living room is beyond stupid

I don't want anything huge, I just want it to sound good on the inside, and make use of the sub my brother gave me.
foREVer
Quote by willT08

Quote by captainsnazz
For the love of christ, do not put a sub in your car.

Shut up. I used to spend just under 3 hours a day in the car for an old job. Good sound was important to me and well worth the investment. It's also the only place you can crank it without worrying about neighbors. I live in an apartment. A huge system there doesn't make sense.

Anyway, TS, your radio should simply have a sub out in the back. Get yourself a cheapo 500W Mono-D amp and straightline it in.
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 5, 2013,
Quote by JustRooster
Shut up. I used to spend just under 3 hours a day in the car for an old job. Good sound was important to me and well worth the investment. It's also the only place you can crank it without worrying about neighbors. I live in an apartment. A huge system there doesn't make sense.

Anyway, TS, your radio should simply have a sub out in the back. Get yourself a cheapo 500W Mono-D amp and straightline it in.

Alright, thanks for the help.
foREVer
Don't know a whole lot about the enclosure and power distribution aspect of the whole thing, but I will say that a friend of mine has a Bose system in his car, and the sub is placed beneath the front passenger seat, speaker facing up. It sounds (and feels) rather excellent compared to some of the other rides I've been in with 2x12s or 3x10s.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Dec 5, 2013,
Quote by willT08
I'm too busy making music you'd actually need a sub for to be mad bro

Is it possible for the bass to drop so hard that a sub woofer might actually fall through a car?

I think that's an important question.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
So far it's only possible to make it drop so hard that it makes the car do a wheelie.
Quote by willT08
I'm too busy making music you'd actually need a sub for to be mad bro

What type of music do you make m8
Whats goes around must come down