Page 1 of 2
Hello,

Thanks for reading this.

My questions might sound silly, I don't know. Ok, here they are:

1. I am going to start learning. Should I buy an electric or an acoustic? I know the traditional thing would be getting an acoustic first. But the thing is I want to be an electric player. I want to play hard rock, heavy metal mainly. So, do you think it makes more sense if I start practicing with an electric straight away?

2. If I start with an electric which guitar I should buy? And which amp?

Budget - I'm thinking not more than 650 USD - guitar and amp together. But I'm willing to consider if its worth spending more.

I would prefer new.

Location is a problem. I'm from Bangladesh and we don't have a lot of options here. Most products are Chinese, I think, even the ones they say aren't Chinese. So, my plan is to know what people around the world ideally prefer and then try to get those from Singapore, where I plan to travel shortly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Last edited by saqib09 at Dec 5, 2013,
starting with an electric is fine. I did the acoustic thing first, but it is also cheaper. Buy a guitar and that's it

we can help but give us:
budget?
new or used?
location?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Starting with electric is fine but as mentioned above we need more info on budget, location, etc.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
I'm just a hobbyist but if your interest is electric then start with electric. There is no law or tradition mind you that says you have to start with an acoustic that is what the acoustic manufacturers want you to think.

My first guitar set up was a Squire Bullet which cost a hundred and a used crate amp which cost twenty. If you are in the states, I've seen some pretty good used guitars at Guitar Center; many are metal guitars going for a little over a hundred which would have cost three hundred new.

You have many options out there as a beginner. My advice is to always have fun with music. Rocksmith 2014 and the original are a good place to start although I haven't really played either. Just have fun with it and break as many conventions as you can as you learn. Do it your way.
who told you that getting an acoustic first is the traditional way? i don't think it has been like that for a long time now, if it ever was.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I learned to play classical guitar by playing classical style on an electric one, and got a classical guitar only like 2 years later.
Personally I'd always recommend starting out on an acoustic, you have to nail the basic techniques in order to play them whereas with electrics things are often a bit easier so you can develop bad habits.

That said, if it's the thought of playing electric that excites you, then electric is the way to go. No matter how much better learning acoustically first may be, if it isn't what you enjoy you won't stick with it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I always believe it's whatever your use to so I don't believe that starting on acoustic is going to help anyone play Electric any better. Starting on electric will make someone play electric better, and for metal and rock etc then you want an electric guitar because acoustic is mainly for classical/folk etc.
What Gary was saying is with an acoustic you must have better technique. I think most people who start on acoustics end up as better players, but you don't have to do it this was
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
1. It’s a lot easier to start with an electric, build up your hand strength, and then switch to an acoustic.

2. What’s your budget?
Quote by Robbgnarly
What Gary was saying is with an acoustic you must have better technique. I think most people who start on acoustics end up as better players, but you don't have to do it this was

If you'd learnt to type on a typewriter you wouldn't have duffed up your last sentence there

If you ask me, if you want to play electric, learn electric (assuming you can afford it as it probably costs slightly more to get a decent electric and amp than a decent acoustic). Pretty simple.

Your technique will be fine on electric if you practise dilligently, which you're more likely to do if you're more interested in that. You technique won't be any better if you quit acoustic in a huff because you don't like it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I actually did learn on a type-writer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get the guitar that makes you want to pick it up.
If you'll dance around like an idiot with an electric guitar because you feel like Slash, you'll learn faster because you'll play it more. Get one that's comfortable and you like the look of!

r.e the acoustic/electric debate - I find playing the riffs through a clean channel (yeah, I've played heavy metal clean) helps to hear if my technique is off - stops all the nasties hiding behind the distortion/overdrive effects and lets me know if I've really got something nailed before I turn up the gain. That could be a good compromise?

I like electric because if you stick headphones in it can be almost silent, and lets you try a wider range of genres slightly easier than an acoustic would.

Gee
Quote by Robbgnarly
I actually did learn on a type-writer

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My first guitar was an acoustic and it sat in the closet for years until I got an electric and started to really practice. If you dont get something that makes you want to play you won't play.
Im just gonna say what everyone else said. Get what makes u wanna play more. I started on acoustic because at the time I was listening to alot of blues & roots music, so acoustic was great for that stage in my playing
Last edited by mugzy384 at Dec 5, 2013,
if thats what you like the yes. get an electric. 650 USD is a great amount to begin.

personally, i would start my search with a mid-low end ibanez. if you are technically inclinded and like to learn and tinker, then go for a floating tremolo. if not, i would recommend a beginner to get a hard tail.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
You'll probably want both types of guitars eventually, and I alwats switched between the two when I was learning they both benefit each other.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Definitely agree with what most people are saying. Buy what will make you want to play more. I bought an acoustic years ago because it was cheap and it collected dust for years and then I finally sold it. Then later on I bought another acoustic, this time because i loved how it sounded and couldn't put it down, then an electric, then a drum set, then a bass... haha an instrument for every mood.
Quote by Robbgnarly
starting with an electric is fine. I did the acoustic thing first, but it is also cheaper. Buy a guitar and that's it

we can help but give us:
budget?
new or used?
location?

I'm thinking not more than 650 USD - guitar and amp together. But I'm willing to consider if its worth spending more.

I would prefer new.

Location is a problem. I'm from Bangladesh and we don't have a lot of options here. Most products are Chinese, I think, even the ones they say aren't Chinese. So, my plan is to know what people around the world ideally prefer and then try to get those from Singapore, where I plan to travel shortly.

Thanks
Quote by duytang
Definitely agree with what most people are saying. Buy what will make you want to play more. I bought an acoustic years ago because it was cheap and it collected dust for years and then I finally sold it. Then later on I bought another acoustic, this time because i loved how it sounded and couldn't put it down, then an electric, then a drum set, then a bass... haha an instrument for every mood.

That's really great and cool. I definitely wanna get drums and bass too.
Quote by saqib09
I'm thinking not more than 650 USD - guitar and amp together. But I'm willing to consider if its worth spending more.

I would prefer new.

Thanks

Well, you could look at some of the more locally produced stuff. For instance, I have heard good things about the Indonesian brands Swing and Radix. And most of the guitars in Dean Zelinsky Private Label product line are manufactured in Indonesia and distributed worldwide.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by evmac
You'll probably want both types of guitars eventually, and I alwats switched between the two when I was learning they both benefit each other.

You know, I think so too. Once I learn the basics on an electric and learn to play some Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden and Priest and Megadeth, may be I will get an acoustic for fun and learn some crazy finger style.
Quote by ikey_
if thats what you like the yes. get an electric. 650 USD is a great amount to begin.

personally, i would start my search with a mid-low end ibanez. if you are technically inclinded and like to learn and tinker, then go for a floating tremolo. if not, i would recommend a beginner to get a hard tail.

Thanks. Ibanez has good starter packages. I like Fender a lot too.
Quote by mugzy384
Im just gonna say what everyone else said. Get what makes u wanna play more. I started on acoustic because at the time I was listening to alot of blues & roots music, so acoustic was great for that stage in my playing

Thanks
Quote by saqib09
Thanks. Ibanez has good starter packages. I like Fender a lot too.

Whoa!

I'd avoid most starter packages unless you really don't have an option. Generally speaking, you're far better off buying the guitar and amp separately, even if you spend a bit more money. Odds are good you'll get a better amp and axe.

I know there are exceptions, but they're rare.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by antics32
I'm just a hobbyist but if your interest is electric then start with electric. There is no law or tradition mind you that says you have to start with an acoustic that is what the acoustic manufacturers want you to think.

My first guitar set up was a Squire Bullet which cost a hundred and a used crate amp which cost twenty. If you are in the states, I've seen some pretty good used guitars at Guitar Center; many are metal guitars going for a little over a hundred which would have cost three hundred new.

You have many options out there as a beginner. My advice is to always have fun with music. Rocksmith 2014 and the original are a good place to start although I haven't really played either. Just have fun with it and break as many conventions as you can as you learn. Do it your way.

Thanks. This helps.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
who told you that getting an acoustic first is the traditional way? i don't think it has been like that for a long time now, if it ever was.

A lot of people seem to think so where I'm from. I think that's because people here were detached from the guitar community worldwide. But that's changing because of internet.

Thanks for confirming this.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Whoa!

I'd avoid most starter packages unless you really don't have an option. Generally speaking, you're far better off buying the guitar and amp separately, even if you spend a bit more money. Odds are good you'll get a better amp and axe.

I know there are exceptions, but they're rare.

Oh!!

See, this is why I asked experienced people.

Another thing, I should probably post this as a separate thread.

I wonder what it would be like if people try to create certain sound in unconventional ways. I like pure organic tonal quality and I immensely dislike compressed sound.

So, I wonder what it would be like if someone tried to play metal on a semi hollow body guitar through a fender twin reverb for instance.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? What it would sound like? Wouldn't it be more dynamic? It will certainly be different. But good different?
Well, there ARE guys who play hard rock, punk, and metal on semihollow and hollowbody guitars, but I couldn't tell you about their pedal boards & amp settings.

The main issues would be feedback- and each guitarist deals with this in different ways- and whether the amp in question can really achieve the desired tone.

I have a 40w Fender HRD 1x12 combo, and its a great amp. Very flexible- my former instructor uses it for C&W, blues, classic rock, hard rock, jazz and much more, as do I. But it isn't as convincing at delivering the heaviest tones I seek. To that end, I'm kind of focused on buying an Orane combo amp at some point.

But the Orange won't deliver the cleaner tones I get out of my HRD, so I'll be keeping it.

i read the first few posts, and didn't read anymore so my opinion is mine and not restatement of anybody directly.

there are several aspects.

if you go by the 'you should start on an acoustic' that is stupid.

whether acoustic or electric, you develop your technique and you have to work for it either way, and instruction show proper technique. instruction is more important that what you start on an electric or acoustic. that doesn't mean you have to pay for lessons, youtube has probably hundreds of thousand guitar videos. justin guitar is a good site and he has lots of good basic videos that are free.

you should play what you want to play.

if you start on an acoustic because somebody says it is better that is stupid.

IF you start on acoustic and lose interest because you aren't playing what to play (for example electric), and the guitar will go in the closet for the future, or maybe sold. you don't play.

happened to my cousin. i was teaching him free and he just didn't like acoustic and that is what he had and grew to not like it and just lost interest. don't even know the guitar is. he probably doesn't either.

IF you play what you like acoustic or electric you will enjoy it more and go farther and have more of an interest.

do what you want to do. either way you will be fine.

and finally your technique is more important for your future than the type of guitar you choose to play when you start.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i read the first few posts, and didn't read anymore so my opinion is mine and not restatement of anybody directly.

there are several aspects.

if you go by the 'you should start on an acoustic' that is stupid.

whether acoustic or electric, you develop your technique and you have to work for it either way, and instruction show proper technique. instruction is more important that what you start on an electric or acoustic. that doesn't mean you have to pay for lessons, youtube has probably hundreds of thousand guitar videos. justin guitar is a good site and he has lots of good basic videos that are free.

you should play what you want to play.

if you start on an acoustic because somebody says it is better that is stupid.

IF you start on acoustic and lose interest because you aren't playing what to play (for example electric), and the guitar will go in the closet for the future, or maybe sold. you don't play.

happened to my cousin. i was teaching him free and he just didn't like acoustic and that is what he had and grew to not like it and just lost interest. don't even know the guitar is. he probably doesn't either.

IF you play what you like acoustic or electric you will enjoy it more and go farther and have more of an interest.

do what you want to do. either way you will be fine.

and finally your technique is more important for your future than the type of guitar you choose to play when you start.

Thanks. This makes sense. This also seems to be the consensus.
Quote by saqib09
Thanks. This makes sense. This also seems to be the consensus.

yea i read it after. good luck stick around. you will learn a lot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Even if playing acoustic made it easier to play electric later, so what? There's no need to hurry. And I don't think the difference will be that big. You won't become a better player just because you started on acoustic.

And you can "mimic" an acoustic on electric - just raise your action and get really heavy strings. That feels like acoustic but I don't know why you would like to make playing harder.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Like has been said get what you want to play. I think the reason most people used to start on acoustic (myself included) is it is cheaper and more mobile. All you need is a guitar and a pic.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Like has been said get what you want to play. I think the reason most people used to start on acoustic (myself included) is it is cheaper and more mobile. All you need is a guitar and a pic.

Thanks.

What kind of sound you get, in each case, if you play a crappy/kind of ok/moderate quality guitar through a really good amp?

I'm thinking of buying a Marshall MG 15 CFX.
Quote by saqib09
Hello,

Thanks for reading this.

My questions might sound silly, I don't know. Ok, here they are:

1. I am going to start learning. Should I buy an electric or an acoustic? I know the traditional thing would be getting an acoustic first. But the thing is I want to be an electric player. I want to play hard rock, heavy metal mainly. So, do you think it makes more sense if I start practicing with an electric straight away?

Yes, get an electric

Quote by saqib09
2. If I start with an electric which guitar I should buy? And which amp?
Yamaha Pacifica 112V and a Peavey Bandit 112
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by saqib09
Thanks.

What kind of sound you get, in each case, if you play a crappy/kind of ok/moderate quality guitar through a really good amp?

I'm thinking of buying a Marshall MG 15 CFX.

FYI, Marshall MG15 isn't a really good amp.

Amp matters more than guitar to your tone, I mean, you can't make a bad amp sound good by playing a great guitar through it. But you can get pretty good sounds by playing not that great guitar through a great amp. So if you aren't satisfied with your tone, the first thing to look at is your amp. Of course to sound really good, you need both good guitar and amp. Guitar does matter. But no matter what guitar you play through a JCM800, it will sound like a JCM800.

I would suggest buying a modeling amp like Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr as your first amp because they have all the different sounds and effects you need and sound pretty decent.

Most cheap (and also a bit more expensive) gear comes from China nowadays. Made in China doesn't mean bad. I haven't had any bad experiences with Chinese gear. I think it has more to do with how cheap the instrument is, not where it comes from. Almost everything in your price range is made in China.

My first guitar was Epiphone Les Paul Standard and I think it was pretty decent.

And BTW, sometimes practicing with distortion is good because you need to pay attention to the noise. On distortion you sound noisy a lot easier. So playing with distortion has its own difficulties. So I think people should practice with both clean and distortion.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
+1 on getting a modelling amp- peavey vypyr, roland cube (the higher wattage models are better), vox valvetronix.

yamaha pacifica 112v is pretty nice for a decent beginner guitar.

you may well be able to do better than that on your budget- but i'm not sure what prices are like in bangladesh, things may be dearer there.

also i'd say about making tones on "unsuitable" equipment- i'd probably learn the rules before I tried to break them. sometimes it can be fun and you can get a kick out of breaking the rules, but most of the time I (personally- this is just my own opinion) it's easier with suitable gear.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2