Page 1 of 2
I guess I'm just writing this post to let off some steam. I'm not looking for sympathy (in fact, I despise it).

The back story:

Maybe 3-4 years back I was assaulted behind a strip mall while on the job. An owner of a local business was convinced that I was the one who had been dumping trash behind his building, and attacked me when I denied it. Long story short, I ended up punching him, but only landing it with my pinky and ring finger knuckles on my right hand. This resulted in me fracturing a few bones in my hand, and things have not been the same since.

Fast forward to present day; I had a doctor's appointment to check out my hand after several years of pain and debilitating cramping. It turns out that I have osteoarthritis in my right hand, which explains why I have been having trouble playing guitar and why my hand cramps up, causing my muscles seize when doing something as simple as answering essay questions on my midterms.

So now...

I am forced to quit playing guitar. I have obviously seen this problem coming, but it came to the tipping point when we started recording our next EP a few weeks ago. The very first song caused big problems for me, as I couldn't get through a fast, technical, alternate picking riff that I had been able to lay down flawlessly a year ago. I have been able to pull the song off live by playing a slightly sloppier version, but that just doesn't cut it for recordings. My left hand hits the notes fine, but my right hand just can't keep up anymore.

This all hit me like a truck today. It's always been my dream to be up on stage with my guitar, playing in front of a crowd. While I have been able to play all over California on more stages than I can count, it's very depressing that I won't be able to continue. I will be moving down to just singing, and taking over as lead vocalist (the other guitarist and I split the duty after our singer quit). Luckily, I will still be able to continue in the band, just not in the way I would like. It's a good thing I learned how to sing, otherwise this would be a lot more sad.

Going forward...

I think the shittiest part now is the aftermath of people finding this out. The news spread like a wildfire through mine and my girlfriend's family, and now all I get are "Oooh, we heard what happened. How terrible for you! Oh, you poor dear you!" followed by gentle handshakes from the dudes and for some reason light hugs from the women. I understand why they do it, but I can't stand it. I have been dealing with the constant pain for years now, the doctor's news didn't flip a switch that suddenly made my hand a delicate little flower. Yes, I can still help you move, no I don't want you doing things for me.

The worst is still to come though. At the end of the day, my hand is not going to get any better. I am scheduled for some physical therapy to learn how to do things a bit differently to mitigate the hand cramping, but I will most likely need to have hand surgery down the line. It's not an easy thought thinking about how bad it's going to get when I'm 50, considering it's such a problem now when I'm only 23.

Once again, I'm not looking for sympathy. I just needed to vent a bit, and I hate talking to family about it. All but my mom and girlfriend talk to me about it with that characteristic head tilt and grimace on their face. I can't stand it.
Dude I cant use my pinky you can still play bro, listen to some journey, dont stop believing
Whats goes around must come down
When bruce lee had his spine broken that didn't stop him from making a come back.
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by Malchius
Tough break man, but isn't there any kind of physiotherapy you can do to help?
I'm going to a physical therapist to learn how to do things differently to avoid the cramping, but that doesn't really cut it as far as guitar is concerned. My problem is that just by flexing my wrist, I pull on the muscles and tendons that cause this to happen. This lead to me using my elbow more, but by virtue of playing black metal, that is leading to tendinitis in my elbow.

I have known the day was coming for a while, and it just came to a head when recording this EP. I'm holding the progress of the band back by not being able to play what's put in front of me, and this is becoming increasingly worse with new, more complex material being written.

I may be able to play guitar in a band someday after physical therapy, but right now it would be selfish of me to continue that roll and hold back the band, and it also just worsens my hand's condition while doing it. According to the doctor, my chances of performing on the same level that I used to are slim to none.

I have not allowed my hand to heal, and that's probably what I need to do now -- not abuse it more with tremolo picked black metal.

Last edited by ExDementia at Dec 5, 2013,
At least you don't have to leave your band or music forever. I'd say keep going with the therapy and while you may not be able to play Black Metal you'll still will be able to play guitar to a degree.
If you don't play shitty music like death metal or metal in general then you can probably still play guitar.
Django is turning in his grave, man up.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
that ****ing sucks. I'd kill myself if I had to quit. buy up a fancy synth though mate, keep mashing music
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
that ****ing sucks. I'd kill myself if I had to quit. buy up a fancy synth though mate, keep mashing music

Killing yourself just because you can't play guitar sounds like such a 13 year old thing to say.
Quote by darkcheef
Killing yourself just because you can't play guitar sounds like such a 13 year old thing to say.

sure is, sure is
banned
physio, patience and more physio.
Fender | Peavey | Epiphone | Hohner | Ernie Ball | Planet Waves | Jim Dunlop | Marshall | Lee Oskar | Traynor | Suzuki | Jackson

Compulsive gear buyer
Im so happy im a south paw.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Preid
If you really wanted it, you'd find a way.
Time. I need to let it heal. Sure, I could go on, but I'd be ****ing myself over in the end.

For now, like I said, I'll continue on as the lead singer, and keep writing music. I'm considering learning keyboard now as well.
Dont waste time with keyboard, no ones ever looked cool playing keyboard. Or Keytar before anyone posts that crap.

What you want to do is focus all your sh*t on becoming the best front man you can be. Take the pain from your injury, the pain of having to lay down the guitar temporarily and use it.

I want you to go out there and reach up, grab onto all the resentment, the regret and frustration. Grab onto it so tightly your hand shakes. Then slowly bring it down in front of your face, into the path of your burning gaze. Hold it there while you belt out a couple power lines and then punch it. Punch it towards the heavens and dont let go until the last second. Hold there for a second before slowly bringing your hand down. Placing it over your heart. Force out a couple tears while youre at it if you feel the situation calls for it. Remember at the end to accent your breathing while staring at the floor.

Let them know.
honestly if i were in your position i would probably start making friends with opiates.
Quote by Preid
Dont waste time with keyboard, no ones ever looked cool playing keyboard. Or Keytar before anyone posts that crap.

Stupidest post of the year.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Jason Becker cant move any part of his body but still releases albums. Jimi Hendrix is dead and still releases albums. Buckethead's face was picked out by chickens and he still releases albums. I know it sucks, but you gotta deal with it. Get really good at another instrument or learn some computer programs like fruity loops or guitar pro.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Get really good at another instrument or learn some computer programs like fruity loops or guitar pro.

Except totally avoid Fruity Loops, and I'm not sure why you'd 'learn' Guitar Pro
Quote by willT08
Except totally avoid Fruity Loops, and I'm not sure why you'd 'learn' Guitar Pro

What's wrong with Fruity Loops? I love fruity loops, I make all my music in it. You have to learn how the program works I guess. I'm not sure either, idk why you gotta instigate?
Quote by Malchius
What is a good program to use Will?

I fell in love with Studio One 2 when I first tried it. Pro Tools is standard if you're just working with audio.
What's wrong with Fruity Loops? I love fruity loops, I make all my music in it
Yeah no shit, post a link to your SC for everyone to get my point.
idk why you gotta instigate?
Late night and you're a moron so it'll be fun
Quote by willT08
I fell in love with Studio One 2 when I first tried it. Pro Tools is standard if you're just working with audio.

Cool I'll try that one out.

Yeah no shit, post a link to your SC for everyone to get my point. Late night and you're a moron so it'll be fun

I listened to that yesterday... Wow.
pro tools is standard if you produce dad rock bands
fruity loops is standard if you're a 15 year old who wants to make trap

studio one seems ok
reaper is good but hard to start with
logic is the best if you have a mac

Quote by theogonia777
Stupidest post of the year.

stop worrying, nobody's going to take your title
I make my drum tracks on FL. I dont see whats wrong. Ive made an instrumental too. I enjoy it. Its easy to use but man, you can absolutely make some beautiful things with it.

As for TS, man, Im sorry. I know you hate sympathy, but I hate hearing that. Idk what Id do man because I cant sing at all. I guess I would just resort to my tuba playing skills. :/
Page 1 of 2