A few nights ago I decided to make hot chocolate and didn't finish it before I went to her. I set it on my dresser right above my box that I keep my loose guitar strings. So I misjudged a reach and knocked something over on my dresser and down goes the cup of hot chocolate in my box. Now the question is how do I save them? Can I take them out of the paper, wipe em down, and put them in something? Like ghetto homemade string wraps made out of computer paper? Thanks man.
Wh-what?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Roc8995
Boil them.

I've heard about this before. How long and how would I go about not burning myself?
Quote by tas38
Wh-what?

Yep, I was reaching for something on my dresser, then looked away thinking I had it in my hand. Pushed it down with the tip of my finger then it knocks over my cup. The cup happened to be at the edge and my strings happened to be right below.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Yeah dude. Put the strings in some paper.

Better question, after I boil them, how would I go about storing them? Just Fold some paper pockets with a flap?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
No, you put them on your guitar.

What's this shit.

Well you see, the strings on my guitar didn't get anything on them. The box that had loose strings out of the plastic wrap did. I had a box filled with different gauges, so I can't put them on my guitar. They were mainly strings for tunings I don't keep my guitars in. I'd get lucky when I broke a string and find a string that matched. They were all kept in the paper that they came in. Now the paper is soaked and I don't wanna chunk strings, but at the same time if I were to boil them and throw away the paper they were in. How would I store them? Let them freeball in a ziplock bag with the gauge of the string written on it?
Someone told me before that if you boil strings with some vinegar in the water, it will take all of the corrosion and rust off of the strings and make them almost as good as new.

I haven't tried this my self. I just buy strings in bulk and don't mind paying $3 for a set every few weeks.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Boiling vinegar will give them a forced patina... I can't imagine that would be good.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
after you boil them, dry them really good and put them in a Ziploc bag, then spray them with Rem-oil lightly so they do not corrode
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
after you boil them, buy a pizza, poke a hole through the center and run the strings through it, gives it a nice smooth feel, basically a cheap way to get coated strings.
Quote by NateCochrane93
after you boil them, buy a pizza, poke a hole through the center and run the strings through it, gives it a nice smooth feel, basically a cheap way to get coated strings.

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by NakedInTheRain
don't touch stuff when it's hot.

yea.. that..

How expensive are strings where you are? Just buy a new set...

that way you won't burn yourself...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
yea.. that..

How expensive are strings where you are? Just buy a new set...

that way you won't burn yourself...

It's not just 1 set, maybe 40 or 50 different strings
Okay, from a scientific point of view you have basically poured sugar and fat over your strings.

Sugar is water soluble so boiling will remove the sugars but the fat isn't water soluble and boiling wont do anything. Adding a few drops of washing up liquid to the boiling water should remove the fats. I would also buy distilled water to boil them in, because ordinary tap water contains quite a few metal salts, and if you livbe in a hard water area you might get some calcium build up.

I would also reboil them two or three times in fresh, distilled water to completely remove any traces of the hot chocolate.

You could try drying with a hair dryer to speed that process up, then store in something airtight to prevent corrosion. Someone suggested ziplock bags. They sound fine, but I would also put in each bag one of those silica gel crystal packs you get in electronic goods packages. They absorb water and if there is any still on the strings they will help to protect them.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.
I know it sounds stupid but boiling the strings does make them almost like new. When I was a kid new strings were hard to come by and all I could get were black diamonds. An experienced player told me to boil them and all the gunk between the core and windings will come out. It works, but it's pointless to boil the plain or unwound strings.
When I was a kid I used to resurrect 2 year old threads!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13