Page 1 of 2
Is anyone here in a band trying to make it big, or know someone who is? Or at least, trying to make some sort of money out of it? Is it working out at all? If so, how much bank you guys making? Got a lot of support around you?

I'm not asking cuz I wanna do the same with my band, but I've got some friends out there who still think they can "make it big" and I'm wondering just how good the chances are, realistically, to have a band as the first source of income.

In b4 Seeneyj comes in here rolling in Oz. dough.
I sure am not. probz cuz my music suuuckksss. Why don't you send me some cash eh?

be a good sport
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Dec 5, 2013,
Pretty sure there's virtually no money unless you're huge or tour well and often.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by deadsmileyface
I sure am not. probz cuz my music suuuckksss. Why don't you send me some cash eh?

be a good sport

Done.

My last band charged $500 a show. We played every other week. It was the most successful I ever was with a band.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
There's a guy I know who has is in an awful, awful band and they are based in Birmingham. Every so often they announce they are going on tour which consists of playing Stoke on Friday night, Nottingham on Saturday and then Birmingham on Sunday. Basically each gig is an hours drive at the most from where they live.

So they drive home from each gig and still act as though it's a proper tour, they come up with names and everything for each 'tour' it's hilarious.

So even if you don't make a lot of money from your band you could present yourselves as those guys do and look as though you're rolling in money 'touring' every weekend.
Quote by captainsnazz
I have nothing to add here but you should have a band called Phil Pepper and The Bad Threads

Quote by JustRooster
My last band charged $500 a show. We played every other week. It was the most successful I ever was with a band.

So, that's what, 100 bucks each every other week?
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Dec 5, 2013,
I mean, I'm getting close to being able to afford a living playing music. . . but, making it big, I really don't feel that should be anybody's first goal in making money off music. Sure, some people might, but shit, not many are going to make it big, but plenty can make a living.
Quote by Philip_pepper

So, that's what, 100 bucks each every other week?

Yeah. It was for fun, mostly. We owned all our own gear so there were no other expenses. We were all students or worked full time. I'm sure that if we wanted to make the decided effort to go at it full time we could have, but the whole lot of us didn't want to do a full time band, just the occasional weekend bar gig.
Go solo.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I read an article a while ago on how to make money as a Youtube guitarist. Definitely seems easier than a band. I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-11/a-new-way-for-musicians-to-make-money-on-youtube

It's basically a plug for stuff like Adiam and CDBaby, but the interviews are alright.
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 5, 2013,
Quote by captainsnazz
I have nothing to add here but you should have a band called Phil Pepper and The Bad Threads

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by hardcore81
in five years my band has made about $50. which is nowhere close to what we've spent on printing CDs, hand painting shirts, equipment, etc. no one likes hardcore punk anymore.

You're either terrible at promoting yourselves, terrible at making music, or both. I've been in my current band for only 3 months and we've made like $200, despite the fact that we've only played two shows which we didn't promote at all. This is the first band I've been in that has made money, but its also the first one where I've really made any effort to do so.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Philip_pepper
In b4 Seeneyj comes in here rolling in Oz. dough.

I love how Seeney hasn't posted here in over a year and people are still bitching about him.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by willT08
He posted like, last week

Yep, he's back.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Hey I already made this thread. Play weddings, play bars, spam spam spam, get in touch of labels. Thats all i learned thus far.
Depends where you play I guess, we played at a friend bar a couple of times and he paid us like 200$ every time, which is not bad I guess.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
You're either terrible at promoting yourselves, terrible at making music, or both. I've been in my current band for only 3 months and we've made like $200, despite the fact that we've only played two shows which we didn't promote at all. This is the first band I've been in that has made money, but its also the first one where I've really made any effort to do so.

we're also all around ugly, you missed that part.

the problem is punk kids say we're metal, metal kids say we're punk and our songs are far too obtuse and short to get into. there aren't many people in ****in new hampshire who are into that kind of stuff. however, we did get invited to play someone's basement show in mexico one time.
The whole business was built on selling hardware, not sure why people forget that. That's how RECORD labels made money and that's how artists made money (if they were smart and made good deals, like Metallica, they made shitloads off of each CD)

My prediction : once the CD dies out (and it's nearly there), 360 deals will be the norm and labels will ask bands to tour like hell and work like hell aka party's over, it's gonna be a like any job now. As it should be, selling 10 song CDs on the basis of 1 good single was a ripoff.

Making it big is nearly over. Nice for the winners while it lasted.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Depends what you mean by "make it big". I have no delusions of world tours, multi-millions, and playing the super bowl. But, I think it's possible to have success on a more regional/semi-national level and have music be a steady source of income, perhaps even a supplementary source of income to another job.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by hardcore81
we're also all around ugly, you missed that part.

the problem is punk kids say we're metal, metal kids say we're punk and our songs are far too obtuse and short to get into. there aren't many people in ****in new hampshire who are into that kind of stuff. however, we did get invited to play someone's basement show in mexico one time.

Man, you sound like every punk band from Milwaukee.
Quote by Philip_pepper

I'm not asking cuz I wanna do the same with my band, but I've got some friends out there who still think they can "make it big" and I'm wondering just how good the chances are, realistically, to have a band as the first source of income.

That's too vague a question. You mention "making it big" but also want to know "realistically, to have a band as the first source of income."

How much money are you talking about?

You can have a band as a first source of income without ever "making it big".

Some people would be thrilled to be earning $25,000 a year on gigging.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Dec 6, 2013,
Here is the big question though if you were approached to sign would you? OR given that someone was wanting to get you signed you decide to be self managed?
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by hardcore81
we actually got ourselves played on a punk radio show out there. the pit i believe it's called.

Yeah, on WMSE, the engineering college radio station. I'm familiar.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Hey I already made this thread. Play weddings, play bars, spam spam spam, get in touch of labels. Thats all i learned thus far.

cant really do that in my BRUTAL ****ING DOOM METAL SLUDGE DOOM BAND METAL YEH?????
banned
Page 1 of 2