Can you recomend me some complex metal pieces that you know? Complex, but structured, that envolve different techniques. It can be some blazing riffs, or lead, anything. For example miles of machines from Loomis, and that kinda stuff. Speed doesn't matter since I'm practice to a metronome where I'm comfortable. Just for the sake of learning more stuff
Dream Theater - The Dance of Eternity
Have fun!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Kissing the Shadows - Children of Bodom
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

If you want complex music outside of virtuoso guitarists solo music your best bet is getting into progressive metal. Personally I'd recommend Dream Theater (obviously), Between the Buried and Me, and Wintersun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhkpCjmXHTU

This is probably my personal favourite
Last edited by vayne92 at Dec 6, 2013,
Quote by vayne92
If you want complex music outside of virtuoso guitarists solo music your best bet is getting into progressive metal.

Or almost anything with the word "death" in the genre (death metal, technical death metal, blackened death metal). And a lot of the more technical forms of thrash. Or djent. Or avant-gardé metal.

Really it depends pretty heavily on what TS means by "complex"; physically hard or mentally tricky? Because those are vastly different things and throw up completely different artists.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Really it depends pretty heavily on what TS means by "complex"; physically hard or mentally tricky? Because those are vastly different things and throw up completely different artists.

Both of it. For example, I find protest the hero mentally hard, because from what I have heard is not super fast. But Dying fetus for example is both.
Quote by kimi_page
For example, I find protest the hero mentally hard, because from what I have heard is not super fast.

See, that's another thing; hard or fast, because those are also not necessarily the same thing.

PTH tends to be hard as hell, even if it isn't usually all-out, balls-to-the-wall shred.

Well whatever, go listen to the album 'Avalanche Of Worms' by Eyal Levi and Emil Werstler. That is hard, fast and complex as shit.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Or almost anything with the word "death" in the genre (death metal, technical death metal, blackened death metal). And a lot of the more technical forms of thrash. Or djent. Or avant-gardé metal.

Careful with djent though.. A lot of it is total garbage chugging open strings with some #sickbends here and there. There's a whole load of shit to filter through in the djent genre. That can be said for any genre however, but i feel it applies to djent more than any other. Occasionally you'll come across bands noone has heard of with some mind blowingly incredible technical feats though such as..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_jsoXd-JbI

It is VERY worth skipping to 4minutes in. Datsolo hnnnnggg. His phrasing is godlike. Especially that lick at 4:13 - 4:15. It gets me every time... It's so beautiful oh my god. I think he's a robot
If there's no editing in that guitar play-through to polish up his playing etc then I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. It blows my mind just that much.

PS: European bands shit on all other bands when it comes to being technically accomplished. This is a huge generalization and I'm not saying that other countries and shit suck, but Sweden/Finland/Norway etc... Those guys are ****ed up good. Get into some European metal
Last edited by vayne92 at Dec 6, 2013,
A lot of Dream Theater songs should fit the bill:

- In The Presence of Enemies has some tricky alternate picking passages (intro and both solos)
- Overture 1928's interlude can be alternate picked or sweep picked
- Erotomania has a string skipping solo, some string skipping spread throughout the song and some amount of (classical-influenced) finger rolling before the aforementioned string skipping solo
- Under A Glass Moon has one small section in the solo on sweep tapping, as well as a single note flutter in the solo if you have a floating bridge and you want to practice that
Last edited by triface at Dec 6, 2013,
There are a lot of bands you could check out. My personal favorites are: Dream Theater ,Circus Maximus, Cloudkicker, The Faceless, The HAARP Machine, Keith Merrow, Necrophagist, Pagans Mind, Periphery, Protest the hero, Seventh Wonder, Symphony X and Veil Of Maya.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Meshuggah, Animals As Leaders, Exivious, Cynic, Necrophagist, The Faceless, The HAARP Machine..
baab