I'm thinking about trading in my amp (special 6 ultra) for a new amp after christmas. my budget is $500-600 for a combo or that much including head and cab.

I primarily do high gain stuff and thats making the 6505+ combo top on my list and top of my budget. I'm looking for a 2-3 channel, foot switchable amp with reasonable cleans, and a great overdriven tone.

The only other amp i've considered is the jca22. Anyone have opinions on these or suggestions for other things to look at? New or used is fine, I live in the southern NH area and can pick up pretty much anywhere in MA

Also, any thoughts on doing a 2 amp set up? A/B-ing one amp for cleans and one for dirty?
In my opinion you got it pretty much figured out, but the 6505 is better for the harder/modern metal and the jca 22h is more a hotrodded marshall kind of sound, so it depends a bit on what you play exactly. Maybe name some bands/songs you'd want to sound like?
If you want more versatility the peavey jsx might be an option, although thats maybe stretching your budget. Or even a Vypyr tube, its always nice to have one of them around
look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear they have the Peavey 5150/6505 2x12 combo's for your budget. These are better than the 6505+ 1x12 in every way.

The Peavey JSX 2x12 is worth a look also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ~Luke~
In my opinion you got it pretty much figured out, but the 6505 is better for the harder/modern metal and the jca 22h is more a hotrodded marshall kind of sound, so it depends a bit on what you play exactly. Maybe name some bands/songs you'd want to sound like?

+1 (based on my 50 watt jet city, i haven't tried the 22... i'd also say it's more late 80s-sounding than hot rod marshall-sounding, but different people have different opinions on that )

New I think it's probably gonna be a two horse race between jet city and peavey- unless there's something obvious I've forgotten. There are some good deals on krank at the moment so they might be worth a look.

Or used I think robbgnarly has you covered well there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just bought a randall diavlo rd20 head and 112 v30 cab....730$ with cyber Monday...not here yet but if played the 5 watt and that thing kicked rear end in the metal department.A little different from your regular 6505 or rectifier..etc. Another option.
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
if you want three channels, a XXX/JSX is going to be the cheapest and best. cleans are much better too.

the JSX has great cleans, a good rhythm tone and a really nice really high gain ultra channel.

soooooooo.

JSX is better if you want better cleans and three channels.
6505+ kills on aggression and has two channels, shitty cleans, but...

XXX is decent, but the JSX is much better, in my opinion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i'm after a tight modern tone. i love misha's tone but i know that will be tough to achieve. i think ill be on the hunt for a used 6505/+
carvin v3m
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)