Hey all, picked up this guy the other night. It's a 2010 SG standard. The headstock is cracked and there is one deep nick in the neck and then a couple of gouges on the front from when it was dropped. Well it doesn't bother me, because I see the potential. These are some pictures from last night, I've since removed the hardware and and did a mock up clamp just to double check that everything lines up nice and perfect. It's a really clean break, and there's no wood missing so it should come back together nicely, just needs a little tlc, it didn't even make to the front face. And yes the strings are still on there, and no they are not even remotely tight, they're just there

I'm still thinking about the refinish and nothing is definite yet. And since I got it so cheap, I figure it's a good opportunity to learn, regardless if it's a gibby or not. Preliminary idea is to go for either a natural cherry finish or do olympic white.

Last edited by scguitarking927 at Dec 5, 2013,
put a liberal amount of glue in it, clamp the crap out of it.
after you clamp it, wipe the excess glue off the guitar with a warm damp rag.
let it dry for a minimum of 24 hours

now you can either put it back together or re-finish it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
put a liberal amount of glue in it, clamp the crap out of it.
after you clamp it, wipe the excess glue off the guitar with a warm damp rag.
let it dry for a minimum of 24 hours

now you can either put it back together or re-finish it

Well in the 15 minutes or so since I posted this, I'm set on a natural cherry finish.

And yea, I went and got some titebond original today, so I'm ready.
Had a very similar break on a Les Paul special i was given a few weeks ago
With good enough glue the fix will be stronger than the original
How much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
That seems like a steal, even if you aren't able to fix it, which you should be able to do without too many issues. Congrats on the score!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Idk why gibson refuses to scarf join their headstocks... this is an extremely common issue with gibson necks. If they'd just scarf it this wouldn't happen and they'd use/waste a HELL of a lot less wood.
Quote by bobafettacheese
That seems like a steal, even if you aren't able to fix it, which you should be able to do without too many issues. Congrats on the score!

Well I posted a thread over in GGA asking what people would pay for something like this and $2-300 was the general consensus. I threw out $200 with some reasoning behind it and he was like, yea I'm never going to get it fixed, it's just going to sit in the case in the closet. But could you do $300, told him to throw in the case and he offered up a little combo amp and he took the offer. I just have an ad up on Clist looking for broken or old guitars, this was the first bite, but hell, if I get one a month that is decent, I'm happy. I just want to learn how to fix and work on guitars without breaking mine to do so lol

Pics coming soon everyone! It's drying now! The refinish is going to be the hard part . I am wondering though if I do decide to sell it how much a refinish will effect the price. It's not like it's vintage guitar or anything and I'm doing a standard color? Or would it be a better idea just to sell it upfront and see if I can make a few hundred??? If i refinish it I feel like i'll be more prone to want to keep it...oh decisions.
Last edited by scguitarking927 at Dec 8, 2013,
When you refinish it, I highly suggest looking at paints from here www.reranch.com if your going to keep a Nitro-Lacquer paint on it.

If your going to sell it, I'd just refinish the area you have fixed and be done with it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 8, 2013,
Well I actually already have some cherry red colortone stain and some black grain filler that I was planning on using for my mahogany tele build, still have some sanding sealer from a pass build too. So I think I may just go ahead and use that. I have some truoil already as well, but does anyone know if that can be polished out to a really nice gloss, I haven't played with it yet? If not I'll just go with the traditional lacquer.
Alright guys, it's back together. Still looks like a mess in the pics, I've since cleaned it up. I'm considering trying drop filling the gouges and break area. Just to try my hand at it, worse case scenario I'm just going to refinish it anyway. So again, another chance to learn haha.

These are the imperfections I was talking about:

If you're going to refinish it you might be able to iron out those dents and you'd never be able to tell it was damaged in the first place. The repair looks decent but this worries me a little, it looks as if there are a couple small voids.

EDIT: Did you glue it back together in those last pics?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 13, 2013,
I did already glue it, those are a couple of chips where finish was missing completely. It's smooth to the touch on the sides, but that spot on the back there's some chipping, I'm assuming that's what you meant by voids. I'm going to sand it down to the wood, even it out with some mahogany saw dust and glue, then refinish.

It's been strung up and it's been holding nicely for about 3 days, no separation, and plays like a dream and is staying in tune.